Side effects

Liver cancer
Liver cancer Member Posts: 52 Member
edited February 2018 in Liver Cancer #1

I am on oral chemo target therapy. Recently my medication was changed to where my dr. says I need to stop all foods and beverages need to be water from 5pm until 10am. My chemo should be taken between 7:30 and 9:30. My doctors call it 'eating around your pill' when I eat between 5pm and 10am. I know I'm an adult, and as such I should be responsible for adhering to the Dr. orders.

So who has a problem with that? I was very good for the first three weeks. Now I have a really bad rash that gets worse every time I eat between 5pm and 10am. Serves me right. And I could end up allergic to the foods I indulge in the most during this time. And since I have a problem with this simple request that is probably going to save my life, if I can manage to follow this simple directive, I am being constantly asked if I am depressed or suicidal.

It really is a simple request. No food between 5pm and 10am. I just get so hungry around 6pm. And although I try to fix the hours, it still hurts like a rash. Maybe I don't deserve better chemotherapy, I haven't been in compliance and I have the side effects to prove it.

I know all I need is more self control and the desire to win. Maybe I could go out for a walk when I get hungry. Not that I want to train for a marathon, I wouldn't do that when I was healthy and fit...I'll be crazy to think of doing it now. The worst thing about cancer, any cancer is overdoing it, even just staying up too late. There's a difference between late and too late, and it reflects back in a physical way. And it really hurts, physically. I mean it is a double owwy. Really hurts like nothing I have ever felt, and when it happens you don't know if you will live, if there is a recovery back to before you did that. It hurts, physically. And with that I bid you goodnight and sweet dreams. No foody dreams.

Comments

• Liver cancer
    edited February 2018 #2
    Nausea and vomiting

If I catch my nausea before it is ready to come up I don't have vomiting and I feel better. I'm on a cancer pill, though. : ) I found out about ginger accenting medicine strength, so gotta be careful with ginger. Peppermint is a favorite of mine, but the calories add up. Tea soothes my throat and settles my tummy, cold or hot. Black tea. But it helps clean the system out too. Lemons lubricant the liver. Coffee lubricants the liver. Saltines with the plain tops help my nausea, especially with water. Tomato soup helps my nausea and puts me back on track nutritionally when my body drives me crazy nuts insane with craving sugars and chocolates. Cinnamon rolls and toast help nausea. Raspberries are a known astringent, yet raspberries lubricant the liver. If I am really nauseated a quick peppermint stops the vomit and if I can a cinnamon roll will stop the nausea. But you have to catch the nausea fast, once the gag reflex goes it really does not stop. I don't jump around with nausea, if I have to move around I do it really slow unless the vomit is imminent. I hate vomiting, I hate cleaning up, and I'll hold it down if possible. The pill is a more constant nausea and vomiting is more easily controlled.

• Liver cancer
    Cold back, chest, and leg cramps

I am taking chemotherapy by pills, every day at night. Sometimes my chest and back get sooo cold. I use a hot shower and an electric heating blanket. I tried the warming blanket, but I was still freezing and it seemed like a waste of money until I found a heating blanket. The hot spicy foods help a lot with the cold feeling. I get the coldness in any weather. It's a side effect of chemo and it's all year long. I found hot cocoa helps, black tea not too hot, hot lemon water, hot soup, and hot noodles all helps to make my chest and back a little bit warmer, livable. Not all at the same time, no need to be taken out in a piano box! Does anyone else have ideas about this?

Cramps. Ouch. Low potassium is what I am told, but my blood tests says the levels are good. Milk, ice cream and dairy products have been easing the cramps. As I say though, I don't want to be buried in a piano box : ). Just joking around about the piano boxes, but I have put on a lot of weight since I have been unable to work. Doc says I went up 30# and I am coming back down a little. Dairy products are so fatty and sugars feeds cancer. My doctors said try a very dark chocolate bcz cocoa helps fight cancer.

• Liver cancer
    edited February 2018 #4
    Liver Cramps

Liver cramps. I don't think it is a chemotherapy side effect, but it does bring me to my knees when it happens. "Attention, attention, this is your liver speaking. I am here." No kidding it's there. It feels like the liver is quaking and shaking and it hurts really bad. I always put my hands on the liver and breath deeper than normal. If I was driving I would. Pull over asap. I've not been driving yet when it happens, knock on wood.

I have been able to feel the tensing of the muscles before it happens, I have noticed that if I am bending down it happens more frequently than if I'm standing up, and I have never had a cramping while laying down.

My doctors noticed that I cramp and it's usually an improvement

• Liver cancer
    edited February 2018 #5
    Rasberries: The Dreaded Purple Face

Yep. Purple face. A little exertion, you feel a little warm and sweaty, but not too bad, and somebody says OH OH OH!! Relax unless you have high blood pressure. My blood pressure has been pretty much steady 110/72 since my 20's. My purple face is a chemo side effect and my pulse doesn't skyrocket when it gets purple. My breathing isn't that bad, but lol, people do freak. The worst thing about this purple face is the embarrassment of the color and it makes a face rash itchy for about 10-15 min. I used to mow a big lawn and be purple face for more than one hour and I am still alive and just fine.

Purple face is a side effect and it will happen. Do check with your doctor, check your pulse rate for your own personal safety, but I have been with a purple face for about 3years and it's okay. I can feel it when it happens sometimes, lately it just goes purple, but my blood pressure is good and so is my pulse rate.

• Liver cancer
    Fuzzy Face

Fuzzy face. A blanket of very fine hair that suddenly covers the face. Very light hair. It covers with make up, but is so annoying. It comes in thicker if it is cut, I used to pluck it and it would be right back a little bit thicker the next morning. I am sure that your beautician can help get rid of it. I ran out of energy to fight with the fuzzy face and just wear a little heavier foundation.

I would love to hear from other people who have beaten the fuzzy face. I find it mildly embarrassing when the young people notice it.

This is not the 'chin hair', this is the finer hair that one morning you wake up and your face is covered in very fine peach fur. My doctors kinda laughed and said it is a side effect of the chemotherapy.