Options
2»

Comments

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    edited April 2018 #22
    Options
    Survival

Yes, Husband has been thru treatment for recurrance.  We have been fortunate to have a cutting edge team in addressing this beast.  Husband started this journey as a pour candidate for survival.  Elderly, in pour health, with advanced inoperable tumor.  His initial treatment was 35 rads with Erbitux.  Beating all odds, he was in remission for 5 years.  His recurrance was very aggressive with return of primary tumor, mets to lungs and liver.  We learned there are many "tricks" in the doctors bag, He was put on a Carbo/Taxol combination to be continued every three weeks "for as long as it was effective".  Again, beating all odds, even with his tumor making it's way completely through his jaw and his carotid artery, he has been NED (no evidence of desease) for nearly a year.    The treatment plan has been to keep husband active and comfortable.  Throughout his treatment, he has remained active on a daily basis.  Treatment options today GREATLY excede what was available when we began this journey.  I cannot overstate my admiration for my husband's positive attitude and my belief that this was extremely important in his positive outcome.

I came to this board when our expectations were at our lowest.  I found friends, and more information than I ever expected.  I wish now to convey to all not the worst possibities, but that in spite of what could be the worst, there are positive results.

Best wishes,

Crystal

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this

Thank you so much for this encouragement...it helps  A LOT!   

• Postal59
    Postal59 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Survival

Yes, Husband has been thru treatment for recurrance.  We have been fortunate to have a cutting edge team in addressing this beast.  Husband started this journey as a pour candidate for survival.  Elderly, in pour health, with advanced inoperable tumor.  His initial treatment was 35 rads with Erbitux.  Beating all odds, he was in remission for 5 years.  His recurrance was very aggressive with return of primary tumor, mets to lungs and liver.  We learned there are many "tricks" in the doctors bag, He was put on a Carbo/Taxol combination to be continued every three weeks "for as long as it was effective".  Again, beating all odds, even with his tumor making it's way completely through his jaw and his carotid artery, he has been NED (no evidence of desease) for nearly a year.    The treatment plan has been to keep husband active and comfortable.  Throughout his treatment, he has remained active on a daily basis.  Treatment options today GREATLY excede what was available when we began this journey.  I cannot overstate my admiration for my husband's positive attitude and my belief that this was extremely important in his positive outcome.

I came to this board when our expectations were at our lowest.  I found friends, and more information than I ever expected.  I wish now to convey to all not the worst possibities, but that in spite of what could be the worst, there are positive results.

Best wishes,

Crystal

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Your post is so uplifting and precious to those of us who are just beginning our journey with this beast. And also for anyone going through it. I truly appreciate your post. My husband has been dealing with several different kinds of cancer over the last few years and these forums really help. It's where I go to connect with others as soon as a diagnosis is made. May GOD bless you, and your husband!

• Tilly26
    Tilly26 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Needed these

i needed to read these statements today. Thank yoU. I am comforted immensely by them. My husband is 40 and is one year May 5 of his last radiation. I worry so much about how long he will be here for our two little ones. it truly has been a toll on my heart. I love reading how curable it is on here! I have had to stop googling and just come here and read from those who have gone through it. Thanks again for taking the time to share!!!

• Catwhisperer
    Catwhisperer Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Tilly26 said:

Needed these

i needed to read these statements today. Thank yoU. I am comforted immensely by them. My husband is 40 and is one year May 5 of his last radiation. I worry so much about how long he will be here for our two little ones. it truly has been a toll on my heart. I love reading how curable it is on here! I have had to stop googling and just come here and read from those who have gone through it. Thanks again for taking the time to share!!!

Be positive

You've made it this far. Don't let the worry consume you. I've done that for 10 years after having my own battle . I'm going to be optimistic for my room mate and ex boyfriend. Worry doesn't change the outcome and it's been a waste of my time and affected my daughter . She now suffers anxiety due to me being sick . I should have shielded her from the feeling I was having. I can't go back but I can maybe inspire someone else to live life with zest and make every day count. Show your family the joy of living and don't let the worry steal your thunder. Dance and rejoice. Find joy in the small things in life. Im going to help my friend stay strong and get back his health and new lease on life. Bless you and your loved ones. You deserve to skid into home plate battered and bruised saying darn that was a heck of a ride!!

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Dear AnotherSurvivor - Thanks

Dear AnotherSurvivor - Thanks for the interesting info and insights...a clear eyed look at the realities behind statstics...and why we shouldn't let them bend us too out of shape.

• Tilly26
    Tilly26 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Be positive

You've made it this far. Don't let the worry consume you. I've done that for 10 years after having my own battle . I'm going to be optimistic for my room mate and ex boyfriend. Worry doesn't change the outcome and it's been a waste of my time and affected my daughter . She now suffers anxiety due to me being sick . I should have shielded her from the feeling I was having. I can't go back but I can maybe inspire someone else to live life with zest and make every day count. Show your family the joy of living and don't let the worry steal your thunder. Dance and rejoice. Find joy in the small things in life. Im going to help my friend stay strong and get back his health and new lease on life. Bless you and your loved ones. You deserve to skid into home plate battered and bruised saying darn that was a heck of a ride!!

needed

Well, this just brought tears. Thank you. You are so right. Thank you for the advice. And thank you for reaching out .

• Billie67
    Billie67 Member Posts: 898
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

The number - 1

I found that the most important number of all was the number 1 (Me/You) taking all efforts to beat this beast. I did the old Dr. Google when I found out about my cancer and ended up with sleepless nights until I focused on doing everything to beat this beast. I recently passed my 13 year mark of ending treatments for Base of Tongue cancer.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

awesome! 

awesome! 

• Billie67
    Options

Today, you are my hero!  I

Today, you are my hero!  I was diagnosed today...details and formal plan of attack after biopsy report and petscan.  I will win and seeing you 13 years out makes this 63-year old woman ready to work to win!

Oh you will win alright! Not

Oh you will win alright! Not going to lie, treatment is rough but we are all here to help in any way that we can. I just had my 5 year scan and, NED! You've got this!!! Hit me up if you have any questons or just want to talk

• Billie67
    Options
    aak16 said:

Oh, Stats

My HPV- cancer came back in less than 6 months and now I need a partial laryngectomy (possibly a total if they get in there and decide a partial won't get all of it). Stats on laryngectomies are about 50% survivial rate, and at 30 years old, I REFUSE to believe those are my odds. There's no way I can even fathom dying with over half of my life left.

You will kick it to the curb!

You will kick it to the curb!!!

• Glowie007
    Glowie007 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

The number - 1

I found that the most important number of all was the number 1 (Me/You) taking all efforts to beat this beast. I did the old Dr. Google when I found out about my cancer and ended up with sleepless nights until I focused on doing everything to beat this beast. I recently passed my 13 year mark of ending treatments for Base of Tongue cancer.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

Life after Base of Tongue Cancer

Hi The number -1,

I noticed you said that you are at your 13 year mark for base of tongue cancer, that’s fantastic!  My husband is still going thru recovery and feels like his life will never be the same.  One of his biggest complaints is that he can’t eat the same food.  He lost about 40 lbs and all he is able to eat is pretty much eggs and sausage.  He feels like he is a shell of himself and won’t ever gain his life back.  Just wondering since you have come a long ways in your treatment if you are able to eat normal foods again?  He thinks he won’t ever be able to eat anything good again and he spends so much time drinking water for his constant dry mouth that is just fills up his stomach.  Just wondering if you have any insight into recovery now that you are at 13 years?  He finished his radiation/chemo about 6 months ago.

• ByeByeCancer
    ByeByeCancer Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Glowie007 said:

Life after Base of Tongue Cancer

Hi The number -1,

I noticed you said that you are at your 13 year mark for base of tongue cancer, that’s fantastic!  My husband is still going thru recovery and feels like his life will never be the same.  One of his biggest complaints is that he can’t eat the same food.  He lost about 40 lbs and all he is able to eat is pretty much eggs and sausage.  He feels like he is a shell of himself and won’t ever gain his life back.  Just wondering since you have come a long ways in your treatment if you are able to eat normal foods again?  He thinks he won’t ever be able to eat anything good again and he spends so much time drinking water for his constant dry mouth that is just fills up his stomach.  Just wondering if you have any insight into recovery now that you are at 13 years?  He finished his radiation/chemo about 6 months ago.

Hi Glowie, I'm sure others

Hi Glowie, I'm sure others will give you ideas, but I wanted to suggest smoothies for your husband.  My husband is about 6 months out from this cancer and, while I know everyone will respond to treatment and recovery in their own way, he is doing pretty well.  I think a big part of what kept my husband going was the extra calories each day that I could squeeze into his smoothies.  I have a Vitamix and would put in banana, blueberries, almond milk (because dairy was bad for mucous) and then some things for easy calories like heavy whipping cream, coconut oil and the best of all was benecalorie.  Benecalorie is a little tiny container of goo (available in a 24 pack from Amazon) that adds an easy 330 calories to the smoothie.  My husband liked the smoothies better than "food" because he didn't have to chew so much and the smoothie felt hydrating to his dry mouth.  We found this to be a good way to keep the calories and hydration up.  

• kmadlom
    kmadlom Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hi Glowie, I'm sure others

Hi Glowie, I'm sure others will give you ideas, but I wanted to suggest smoothies for your husband.  My husband is about 6 months out from this cancer and, while I know everyone will respond to treatment and recovery in their own way, he is doing pretty well.  I think a big part of what kept my husband going was the extra calories each day that I could squeeze into his smoothies.  I have a Vitamix and would put in banana, blueberries, almond milk (because dairy was bad for mucous) and then some things for easy calories like heavy whipping cream, coconut oil and the best of all was benecalorie.  Benecalorie is a little tiny container of goo (available in a 24 pack from Amazon) that adds an easy 330 calories to the smoothie.  My husband liked the smoothies better than "food" because he didn't have to chew so much and the smoothie felt hydrating to his dry mouth.  We found this to be a good way to keep the calories and hydration up.  

Thanks for the Benecalorie tip

ByeByeCancer, thank you so much for the tip.

Just today we have been struggling how to get more calories into my wife. The dairy is bad for mucous, you are right. She's been dropping weight on her way to a PEG, but because of your post I just ordered the Benecalorie. Really appreciate everyone's posts so much. This site has been a game changer for us.

Best wishes!