Mild Back Pain and Sensations Following Partial Nephrectomy

Options
Kbb1991
Kbb1991 Member Posts: 2

I was diagnosed with a 3cm tumor which turned out to be clear cell renal cell carcinoma back in September on my 26th birthday. Crappy birthday let me tell you, but I had a partial nephrectomy about a month later which was robotically assisted. I was going strong six weeks later and recovery was pretty simple. I'm back to my normal routine at this point, but I've started to have this weird sensation in my back In the area where my kidney is located. It's not an agonizing pain or anything un-bearable but it's just got my attention at this point, it's kind of like a very mild dull nagging or gripping pain. Kind of sore feeling.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced tHis. It will be 4 months the 11th of February.  After everything I've been through with this it just has me kind of worried about everything with my health. 

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Check it out

Kibbi,

These type of issues are not uncommon following surgery. Probably nothing, but check it  out with your doctor anyway.

Icemantoo

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Good question for your doctor

I agree with Kibb above; I'd  check it out. I did have some weird sensation where my kidney used to be. However, I had a radical nephrectomy, so there was no remaining kidney to be hurting. If you're concerned about it, the sooner you check with the doctor, the sooner you can ease your mind. 

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I too have a weird pain

I too have a weird pain sometimes, but like ImNotDeadYet I have no kidney there. These are big surgeries and for some reason we don't realize the huge effect it has on our bodies. I think it takes a long time to fully recover.

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My wife went thru bouts of a

My wife went thru bouts of a dull pain as well. She's almost a year out from surgery now. Lately, she has not dealt with it. Everyone is different and so is the subsequent recover. Like Iceman said......most likely nothing but if it gives you "Peace of mind" get it checked.

what is your follow up plan? Ours is every 6mo. The oncologist wanted to go to yearly after the first one and I told him "No". I want 6 mo. cycle for the first 3 yrs at least.

best wishes to you.

• ZVM
    ZVM Member Posts: 21
    Options
    check it out

I started having low back pain about 6 wks post nephrectomy. People on this board kindly reassured me to consider what my body had been through, but encouraged me to get it checked. My surgical oncologist, well his nurse actually, said your margins & nodes were clear, you're good. However a NP said, let's check this out, and ordered the MRI which showed spinal degeneration. 

I occassionally have little grabby pains where the kidney was. 

Do what you need to do to feel reassured. Sometimes you have to push your providers more than you would like to. 

Wishing you the best! 

• Kbb1991
    Kbb1991 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018 #7
    Options
    I go back in April for my

I go back in April for my first 6 month follow-up, then they suggested  annualy from that point forward. i think I'm going to push for another 6 month In the fall. I'm not comfortable going that long. I'm supposed to be going for genetic testing this month to try and get a grip on where this might have come from. 

• Matt1979
    Matt1979 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2018 #8
    Options
    I have back similar back pain

I had an open partial late November and also have been experiencing a nagging back pain at the location of my kidney/ 12th rib.  The pain feels closer to the surface like in the muscle and not my kidney.  It's worse when sitting in a car from the pressure on that spot.  The other day I really inflamed it while working on something that had me standing and leaning forward over a table for an extended period.  The pain was pretty intense for about a day and a half after, and now it's back to it's normal more mild pain.  I'm thinking it has more to do with the 10" inscision through all those layers of muscle that wrap around ending near the spine.  I probably wasn't quite ready yet to use those core muscles like I did leaning over that table.  

Does your pain feel like it's that much deeper to be from the kidney?