Mother

Hi Everyone,

Ive been reading through many posts all day, but figured I’d start my own post. My mother has been diagnosed with cancer of the colon which has spread to the lymph nodes. It also has spread to her liver with tumors throughout the entire liver. We are told surgery is not an option. She will begin chemo right away but I’m not sure of the type. I don’t know what to think. Realistically is this something to be overcome or is it too late in the game? I’m looking for honest feedback. I agree and understand that you never give up hope but I also want to remain realistic as well. I’m just really scared. 

Thanks! 

Rachel 

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited January 2018 #2
    Never Give Up

Never give up and it's easier said than done.  If they have a treatment plan in place - that's good.  There are stage 4 people on this board that are here many years later and still posting.  Best to your mom and wishing you well.

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    I'm a realist

but an optomist also. 

It is true, your mother's situation does not sound good; but there are many folks who do make it through chemo without too many side effects, and who do beat the odds. 

How old is your mother?  Of course, there is old and 'old' it is all relative. If she is a healthy, vibrant old, then that is good, but if she is old and in poor health, then you do have to take that into consideration. 

With my own diagnosis and prognoisis, I continue to hope (work) for the best while understanding the worst might happen. I live each day like it could be my last, and while I can never 'forget' I have Cancer, I don't live my life around it.

I wish your mum all the best, and feel she is blessed to have a daughter who cares so much.  

We are all here for you.

Tru

• Rach3612
    Rach3612 Member Posts: 3
    Trubrit said:

I'm a realist

but an optomist also. 

It is true, your mother's situation does not sound good; but there are many folks who do make it through chemo without too many side effects, and who do beat the odds. 

How old is your mother?  Of course, there is old and 'old' it is all relative. If she is a healthy, vibrant old, then that is good, but if she is old and in poor health, then you do have to take that into consideration. 

With my own diagnosis and prognoisis, I continue to hope (work) for the best while understanding the worst might happen. I live each day like it could be my last, and while I can never 'forget' I have Cancer, I don't live my life around it.

I wish your mum all the best, and feel she is blessed to have a daughter who cares so much.  

We are all here for you.

Tru

Thank you 

Thank you 

My Mom is 65 not in the greatest shape but not terrible either. I just don’t know what to do. Seems I’ll just have to wait and see what happens.