Slight pain present

Options
Scubajoe
Scubajoe Member Posts: 39 Member

Hey guys,

So I am five weeks out from radiation and still feel a slight discomfort minimal pain about level 1.5 at the place the tumor was and where the radiation was focused. Is this because the radiation is still active? Also does anyone have any details on how it is still active since there is no radiation source present?  I really can't find any details how this is possible.

Comments

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My radiation oncologist told

My radiation oncologist told me the radiation keeps working for six months after treatment ends.   It was almost six months to the day when my butt stopped hurting and I started to feel somewhat normal again.  I told my doctor in December I have no pain or bleeding.  He said I will have it again from the radiation.  I am reading we can have more side effects years down the road.  This is probably because radiation has half lives so it is half the strength every six months.  So I feel good now and I am enjoying it.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Scubajoe

Your pain is very normal for the stage you are in. All those tissues have been damaged and are trying to heal up. As to how the radiation continues to work, I know that it does but I don't know the explaination. 

• Scubajoe
    Options
    Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback.  So I talked to the Encore radiation oncologist last night apparently the radiation is done no traces of it left after you leave. However the cell Left Behind have damage to DNA so when they try to divide and reproduce it does not work in the original cell eventually dies. This can happen for quite some time after the radiation is done.

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation.  

Thanks for the explanation.  

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited January 2018 #6
    Options
    Makes sense

Thanks for the explaination, when you put it that way it does make sense!

• Scubajoe
    Options
    Ohmy said:

My radiation oncologist told

My radiation oncologist told me the radiation keeps working for six months after treatment ends.   It was almost six months to the day when my butt stopped hurting and I started to feel somewhat normal again.  I told my doctor in December I have no pain or bleeding.  He said I will have it again from the radiation.  I am reading we can have more side effects years down the road.  This is probably because radiation has half lives so it is half the strength every six months.  So I feel good now and I am enjoying it.

Did you experience breaks in

Did you experience breaks in the pain?  It seems now at 12 weeks for the last few days I feel more pain than I have in the past month or so. Last time the doctor checked he says the tumor was still decreasing. My Hope Is that it's down to my nerves now that's why I'm feeling a little more discomfort. Did you notice anything like this with your pain?

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Scubajoe

Hi,  I wanted to respond to your comment about breaks in the pain.   My pain,  discomfort,  bleeding and diarrhea has all been two steps forward,  one step back.   I'm 14 months post treatment, and while I have steadily gotten better,  I periodically feel like I un-heal and get worse again.   I think it's normal.   Diet plays a large part for me.   I do much better with soft,  bland food and lots of water. 

Hang in there,  it gets better!

Jane 

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Scubajoe said:

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback.  So I talked to the Encore radiation oncologist last night apparently the radiation is done no traces of it left after you leave. However the cell Left Behind have damage to DNA so when they try to divide and reproduce it does not work in the original cell eventually dies. This can happen for quite some time after the radiation is done.

DNA breaks down

That is awesome,  I love hearing that!   Thanks for sharing !