Check your nearest YMCA

Options
SophDan2
SophDan2 Member Posts: 150 Member

Hi All,

I wanted to share some great informatrion for those that are post treatment and are looking to rebuild your strength.

Through a friend of mine, I was introduced to a program, at my local YMCA, named "Live Strong". They are a non-profit organization, that works through grants awarded to them.

Basically, if you are a post treatment person this is what they offer:

3 months of a YMCA member ship

20% Discount if you should decide to join the YMCA after the 3 months.

2 Times a week they have a workout session, with 2 trainers and class size of no more than 12 people.

I began my class last week and there are 11 people (male and female) in the class ranging in ages of 25 to 78, with many types of cancer involved.

First they interview you, to find out who you are and what you would like to get out of the program, and then do a physical assessment (to give you a baseline for cardiovascular and physical capabilities).

The first class was just a meet and greet situation.

The second class was the assessment part

Today (the third) we actually started the working out portion.

I am so excited to have been invited to participate in this program and look forward to rebuilding my strength (both physically and mentally)

I hope that some of you will take the time to look into "Live Strong" at your neighborhood YMCA.

Take care all of you!

Barry

Comments

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Good to know

thanks for sharing.  

Enjoy getting your strength back !

pam 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Wonderful

That is great and I'm glad you are able to take advantage of all they offer, unfortunately ours left our community.  Hoping that others will benefit as well.

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Great news for you, Barry

It will make you feel so much better. 

I live in a small rural community, so no YMCA, but we did just get a Boys & Girls club, so I may see if they offer anything - I've no idea what a Boys & Girls club is, and I'm definitely NOT a girl any more -

I am happy for you. 

Tru

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Great news for you, Barry

It will make you feel so much better. 

I live in a small rural community, so no YMCA, but we did just get a Boys & Girls club, so I may see if they offer anything - I've no idea what a Boys & Girls club is, and I'm definitely NOT a girl any more -

I am happy for you. 

Tru

A Boys and Girls club is

A Boys and Girls club is usually an afterschool setting with space, activities and volunteers to look after kids, sometimes provide educational resources, and some level of fun and games, and food. This is what we had when I did some work at one of these a long time ago. The food was donated by Taco Bell and probably a few other places. Companies donated computers, games, furniture, etc. The place was pretty wild when the school buses pulled up to drop kids off and I think that the adults to kids ratio was something like 1 to 50. The one I was at didn't really have gym equipment though.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Mikenh said:

A Boys and Girls club is

A Boys and Girls club is usually an afterschool setting with space, activities and volunteers to look after kids, sometimes provide educational resources, and some level of fun and games, and food. This is what we had when I did some work at one of these a long time ago. The food was donated by Taco Bell and probably a few other places. Companies donated computers, games, furniture, etc. The place was pretty wild when the school buses pulled up to drop kids off and I think that the adults to kids ratio was something like 1 to 50. The one I was at didn't really have gym equipment though.

Ah! Thanks Mike

I guess I'm out of luck then. 

Its a big place for our small town, and I'm hoping it caters for more than just the kiddies. It literally just opened, so I will go and find out more. 

I would like to start some kind of strength training, somewhere. It can only help; though with my liver twinge, I will have to be careful just what exercises I choose to do. 

Thanks again Mike, and yes, I'm happy to see you posting.   

Tru

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! Thanks for

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it. We don't have a YMCA in our town but if we did I'd sign up right away.

I need to get more strength. Being sick for months really deconditioned me. I do exercises at home every day, though. My husband tried doing the ones I do the other day and he couldn't finish so they're harder than I thought they were. I'd figured that if I could do them they must be easy. He's strong but not very agile. It made me feel a lot better about them.

Jan