Bell's Palsy symptoms after surgery, biopsy

Bellen
Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member

Hello all - Has anyone had Bell's Palsy symptoms after any surgery or biopsy?  I had a biopsy done a few wks ago and I believe swelling or other? may have caused the symptoms that I am experiencing - numbness on the one side - mouth, chewing, spitting, eyelid won't close on own, very sore, dry eyes.  Gave me 10 days prednisone - just finished, but do not see any change.  My mouth numbness is just very slightly better.  Feeling very awful and depressed with other terrible symptoms I already had before biopsy.  Thank you for any suggestions or input.

Comments

• Curlyn
    Curlyn Member Posts: 189
    I had numbness after initial

I had numbness after initial biopsy. Took 3-4 months to resolve. Nerves don't like to be stretched, sqished by swelling or injured.  Your surgeon would know what he did to the nerve, whether it was stretched a lot, what he thinks. You don't say where the biopsy was.

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    edited January 2018 #3
    Eyelid won't close

Systane makes very good lubricating eye drops and daytime, nighttime gel for eye relief.  Available over the counter through pharmacy.  This can/usually resolve on it's own. But don't panic if it doesn't.    Plastic surgeon said husband's could be treated in an outpatient precedure, but we decided against due to husband's age and current health.  It takes time for the nerve to heal.  Wishing you the very best,

Crystal

• Bellen
    Palsy symptoms after biopsy

Thank you so much for responding and your suggestions.  My biopsy was of a skull bone tumour in behind the mastoid bone, ear.  Pathology confirmed it is a spread of my CRC cancer.  My Onco said this is extremely, extremely rare.  Prior to biopsy, I had symptoms - off balance, much pressure ear and head, buzzing noise, headache and earache (still continue).  Now I have these palsy symptoms added to them.  My Onco said he needed the biopsy in order to know what treatment to use now.  Thank you for mentioning that recovery may take longer than I thought, as it has been just under a few wks.  I did get eye drops and a gel for night, but my eyes continue to be very sore due to the one eyelid not closing on own.  Wondering if facial and eye exercises, bathing eye and facial nerves with warm compresses, anti-inflammatory meds (just finished 10 days prednisone), massage or anything else will help relieve and heal the swelling or other that has affected these nerves.  The ENT that did procedure seemed to take my great discomfort quite lightly, and when I first informed him of my symptoms, just said it would resolve itself, then finally prescribed prednisone - no other suggestions for relief.  My husband was worrried that I was showing stroke symptoms.  The biopsy itself was much more invasive than I expected - cut all around ear, even my sore jaw which is feeling better as I rest it more - care with chewing.  Any additional suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you again.  Wishing everyone well.

• Curlyn
    As nerve function comes back,

As nerve function comes back, it is usually subtle changes that are noted. I took photos each week or so to see if there was a difference. If they didn't cut the nerve, it was probably stretched and traumatized. Could take weeks...good luck. Hugs. 

• Bellen
    edited January 2018 #6
    Thank you Curlyn

Thank you Curlyn.  Taking photos is a good idea, and hopefully like you mentioned, the nerve is traumatized or the area is swollen from the surgery and pushing on the facial nerve(s).  I do notice slight improvement in the side of my mouth.  I truly did not need these added awful symptoms.  I am doing some facial exercises that I read on the Net, and bathing my eyes.  Going to see a massage therapist to see if they can help.  The Eye Dr said to massage the facial area also.

• Bellen

Curlyn - Did you have your eyelids affected as well as your mouth?  My eyelid will not close without manually doing it, or closing both eyes.  The ENT who did the biopsy took my symptoms quite lightly - I'm sure he would not, if he was walking in my shoes.  So, sort of on my own to deal with this.  This is why I turned to this group, hoping others might be able to provide some input.  I wish everyone well.

• Curlyn
    Bellen said:

Curlyn - Did you have your eyelids affected as well as your mouth?  My eyelid will not close without manually doing it, or closing both eyes.  The ENT who did the biopsy took my symptoms quite lightly - I'm sure he would not, if he was walking in my shoes.  So, sort of on my own to deal with this.  This is why I turned to this group, hoping others might be able to provide some input.  I wish everyone well.

Not my eyelid. But a good

Not my eyelid. But a good portion of neck, jaw, lip. Again, it came back because the nerve wasn't cut. Don't give up hope yet. It is early. Does your doc think it will come back, in his experience? Was this mentioned as a possible side effect of surgery?

• Bellen
    Symptoms after biopsy

As I said, the dr who did the biopsy took my symptoms very lightly.  Did not offer any suggestions.  If the nerve was cut, I don't know if I would have been told that.  The whole side of my face was a bit numb.  I have been seeing a massage therapist, who has been working on my facial muscles.  Some improvement in my mouth - eyelid still not closing independently.  Doing some exercises I read about on line.  And using drops for dry eyes.

• christine2080
    christine2080 Member Posts: 71
    Bell’s Palsy

Bellen, I have hesitated to comment as I haven’t had the exact same experience as you. My husband completed treatment (35IMRT & 6 Cetuximab) on November 21 for SSC BOT HPV+ stage IV. However, in August 2013 I awoke on the first day of my retirement with the right side of my face completely frozen- Bell’s Palsy. It was not the typical case that resolves itself in 3 weeks to 3 months. It has taken me years to recover and I still have residual effects that I get treatment for every 3-4 months (Botox). I have yet to find a single doctor who seems concerned about Bell’s Palsy despite the severity of the symptoms. Feel free to PM me if you want specifics on what I have tried. My BP was caused by a combination of stress and an extremely close blast to my ear with a professional blow dryer (at hairdresser’s). I had an extremely sharp pain from the blast and woke with BP that got progressively worse 3 days later. I immediately went to the doctor with the first symptoms. It continued to worsen until I had no feeling whatsoever on my right side (complete nerve destruction), but the doctors were not at all concerned- I was told to rest and it would resolve itself.

• Beatitx3
    Beatitx3 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018 #11
    Bell's Palsy

i had a parotid tumor removed in September 2017 and had resulting facial paralysis on the same side as the surgery. My surgeon told me this would happen so I was not too shocked by my appearance. My surgeon also told me that it might take up to 3 months for the paralysis to resolve.   And, that's exactly how long it took.  Carry eye drops with you and use them frequently, tape your eye shut when you sleep.  Protect your eye!  Because the tumor was invasive into the jaw muscle the nerve to my eye and forehead had to be cut to remove the tumor. I couldn't blink my right eye at all. The surgeon said that it might take up to 8 months for the movement to return , if it was going to return at all.  He recommend having a weight inserted into my eyelid so that the eyelid was kept semi-closed, protecting the eye.  I didn't have to have that done. I've been goi to Physio and now can blink spontaneously and no longer need to tape my eye at night. 

• Bellen
    Hello Beattix3 - Thank you

Hello Beattix3 - Thank you for responding.  My tumour is in the skull bone - told adenocarcinoma.  ENT cut all behind my ear and he said he was drilling through the mastoid bone.  It took 2 days for these symptoms to appear.  I have been going to a massage therapist who has spent some of the time doing facial massage.  I do hope this will continue to help.  She said to massage and "very soft pinch".  I do see some improvement, although some of the bones in my face are sore, my eyelid does not close independently - will close if I close the other eye at same time or hold it closed.  It is almost a month.  Was there anything you did that was of help.  I notice that sometimes my mouth looks pretty good, and then later when I smile, up it goes on one side.  I am able to chew a little better, but my jaw is definitely sore still.  This is awful to deal with.

• Bellen
    Symptoms worse

Hello all - A few days ago my eye started to water excessively, and yesterday woke up to more pronounced palsy symptoms - mouth much worse.  I thought things were progressing, but now back at first step again.  Not sure if the facial exercises, warm bathing, etc are helpful or not, or should I just let it be.  Very strange how that whole side of my face is affected - painful, numbness, pain moving neck front and back, chewing, sore jaw, etc.  Even sore to wear reading glasses because touches area above ear.  I'm starting to think that more damage was done by having the biopsy - cut all behind the ear and drilling into the bone.  I'm sure the nerves to all of that side of the face have been damaged or very inflamed. I think that the ENT would attribute all this to my tumour, but they came up so close to my biopsy surgery that I do not believe this.  Sure didn't need these added problems.  Sorry - just venting due to feeling so awful.

• Frances_S
    Frances_S Member Posts: 54
    Second Opinion

Hi Bellen,

Please don't apologize for venting. You are going through a lot. I'm thinking you should get a second opinion. You have a right to know what happened during your surgical biopsy and if your doctor is not answering your questions you need to find one that will. You can ask for a copy of the surgical biopsy notes and bring it to another doctor to get a second opinion. Don't sit there and suffer in silence. I believe that once you have the answers you need, you will be able to move forward.

It may be best to take a family member or friend with you to your next appointment to be your advocate.

Sending prayers your way,

Frances

• Bellen
    Bell's Palsy side effects

Hi Frances  - I have a MRI tomorrow and the Neurologist I saw said it should show swelling on the nerve, so I hope that gives me more info on this.  I know the ENT was not taking much responsibility, and unfortunately she can use the skull tumor as a reason - very unusual that all of the palsy stuff started 2 days after biopsy.

• Frances_S
    Frances_S Member Posts: 54
    So happy to Hear

I am so happy to hear you are going fo an MRI. 

I'm still praying for you. Please keep us posted!