Peg Tube Question

Options

My husband has finished 3 rounds of Cisplatin Chemo and has two more rads. He doesn’t have a peg tube. He is barely eating. He’s probably getting less than 500 calories a day. I’m extremely worried. Even though he’s at the end of his treatment can he still get a feeding tube?

Comments

• georgiasurfer
    georgiasurfer Member Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes

My husband had to get a peg 3 months post treatment because he continued to lose weight. He had it for 6 months and it saved his life. He started getting better as soon as his nutrition increased. Hang in there. I wish it was a non negotiable requirement that everyone has to get a tube before treatment starts.

• debbiel0
    debbiel0 Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had a tube put in with

Yes, I had a tube put in with two weeks of treatment remaining.  I wish I had it sooner. I was such a relief to concentrate on getting through the tough parts, rather than the worry of what to eat.  I have several food allergies, so finding the right mixture to put though the tube was a challenge but definately worth it. I have had my tube for 5 months and still rely on it daily as I try to find food I can swallow.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yep, it can be done. I met

Yep, it can be done. I met with the surgeon about week 5-6 because it hurt so badly to take in calories. I decided to power through it.

The surgeon explained that they like to do the PEG tube pre-treatment when a patient is feeling fine and has time to recover. Having one done while in treatment just means adding more bad to the current situation of how a patient feels. But, if it's a matter of life or death, you do what you've gotta do.

Why is he not getting his calories; is he too weak? does it hurt too much? is he too nauseous? is he being cranky?

My lack of calories was simply pain. I didn't care that it tasted bad. 

I used meditation to get me through it and deal with the pain and avoid a PEG tube.

• DShaw
    DShaw Member Posts: 11
    Options
    OKCnative said:

Yep, it can be done. I met

Yep, it can be done. I met with the surgeon about week 5-6 because it hurt so badly to take in calories. I decided to power through it.

The surgeon explained that they like to do the PEG tube pre-treatment when a patient is feeling fine and has time to recover. Having one done while in treatment just means adding more bad to the current situation of how a patient feels. But, if it's a matter of life or death, you do what you've gotta do.

Why is he not getting his calories; is he too weak? does it hurt too much? is he too nauseous? is he being cranky?

My lack of calories was simply pain. I didn't care that it tasted bad. 

I used meditation to get me through it and deal with the pain and avoid a PEG tube.

THC Benefits

Pain is the main reason for not getting calories. He has a Fentynal patch that has helped but not enough it seems. What benefits did you get from THC edibles. A friend gave him a couple to try but he‘s afraid to try them. 

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2018 #6
    Options
    DShaw said:

THC Benefits

Pain is the main reason for not getting calories. He has a Fentynal patch that has helped but not enough it seems. What benefits did you get from THC edibles. A friend gave him a couple to try but he‘s afraid to try them. 

For me, I found that

For me, I found that relaxation greatly aided in my ability to swallow my calories. Keeping in mind I forced myself to drink the Boost VHC because it only required 8 swallows to get 530 calories.

I had great anxiety over just the thought of taking in calories (swallowing). The THC lowered that anxiety level immensely. It also numbed the pain. I had tried Hydrocodone and magic mouthwash. Neither subdued the pain at all. 

The edibles also allowed me to sleep without using sleeping pills.

I greatly prefer to avoid opioids or sleeping pills. The edibles also made my nausea go away to the extent I never threw-up during my treatment.

The good thing about buying edibles in a legalized state is that they are greatly regulated - so you know exactly what you are getting and how potent it is.

I do know someone that was given liquid morphine so they could get their calories in.

Good luck!