Possible Tongue Cancer

Options
Megs2776
Megs2776 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2018 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hi everyone. I have been having strange symptoms. My tongue, inside of my cheeks and roof of my mouth are red all swollen. The papillae on my tonge are raised and red. My mouth burns everytime I eat something. The burning intensifies with hot foods, minty toothpaste and minty gum. I feel as though something is caught at the base of my tongue/throat. I seen an ENT who did a nasal scope and said everything looks fine. Well I went back to my reg MD, currently waiting to see an oral surgeon. What do you a suggest about my symptoms?

Comments

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    edited January 2018 #2
    Options
    Could be something or could

Could be something or could be nothing.  Don't get ahead of yourself and make sure you are timely in getting to the right doctor for a diagnosis. 

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Honestly...

it sounds more like a yeast or some other kind of infection.  I’ve never heard of that being a symptom of tongue cancer.  Stay off Google and any other medical websites until you get a diagnosis.  Just my two cents.

• Megs2776
    Options

Honestly...

it sounds more like a yeast or some other kind of infection.  I’ve never heard of that being a symptom of tongue cancer.  Stay off Google and any other medical websites until you get a diagnosis.  Just my two cents.

Thank you for your reply. I

Thank you for your reply. I haven't googled anything. I watched my grandfather die from base tongue cancer, I was 12 yrs old and just remember alot of tongue issues he had. So when my symptoms started of course my mind went back to him.

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Megs2776 said:

Thank you for your reply. I

Thank you for your reply. I haven't googled anything. I watched my grandfather die from base tongue cancer, I was 12 yrs old and just remember alot of tongue issues he had. So when my symptoms started of course my mind went back to him.

Understandable

It’s normal for us to do that when we witnessed a loved one go through something awful, but remember that even in the unlikely case that it is cancer, treatments have advanced a lot since your grandfather had it.  I hope you get some answers soon.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you're

Honestly, I think you're having too many symptoms for it to be cancer. Most people I talk to only knew because of an enlarged node, a nagging cough that lasted for months and months or issues with their tonsils.

Take a deep breath and let the docs do their tests.

• Megs2776
    Options
    OKCnative said:

Honestly, I think you're

Honestly, I think you're having too many symptoms for it to be cancer. Most people I talk to only knew because of an enlarged node, a nagging cough that lasted for months and months or issues with their tonsils.

Take a deep breath and let the docs do their tests.

You're right. I'm just

You're right. I'm just concerned, these symptoms came out of no where. Thank you for your reply.

• lsweeney
    lsweeney Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Probably not cancer but......

I had burning and redness that eventually turned into a cancerous ulcer.   Prior to this I had two biopsies on white spots in the same area that were benign.   Because of the past benign results I procrastinated getting my tongue checked out again.   I showed my dentist who also wasn't alarmed due to the previous benign results.    By the time I did something about it and had it biopsied, the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes.  

So get it checked out and get some peace of mind.  

• Judy1321
    Judy1321 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had mine on the base of the

I had mine on the base of the tongue and the only symptom I had was a sore throat.  Only my ENT saw it by using her long handled mirrors. then I had a biopsy.  

• katlou
    katlou Member Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    lsweeney said:

Probably not cancer but......

I had burning and redness that eventually turned into a cancerous ulcer.   Prior to this I had two biopsies on white spots in the same area that were benign.   Because of the past benign results I procrastinated getting my tongue checked out again.   I showed my dentist who also wasn't alarmed due to the previous benign results.    By the time I did something about it and had it biopsied, the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes.  

So get it checked out and get some peace of mind.  

I procrastinated too

I had a similar situation where I had lesions popping up on the underside of my tongue over a period of several years.  I had two biopsies over those several years that were benign so when the third lesion popped up I procrastinated because I thought it would be benign as well.  I was wrong, it was squamous cell carcinoma. Thankfully it turned out to be superficial and isn't in my lymph nodes but I have another surgery coming up in a week for a wide resection around the biospy site because of close margins.  I agree, get everything checked out and biopsied.

• Curlyn
    Curlyn Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Hormones could cause this-

Hormones could cause this- are you on hormones or Fibristal. Also viruses. But get it checked out properly, as you seem to be doing.

• John330
    John330 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    It may be nothing but get it checked

As others stated it may be something or may be nothing but I would get checked by a competent Dr that rules out cancel and explains why. I went to several doctors, dentists over 8 months that told me it was everything but cancer only to find out I had retromolar area, base of tonque and lymph nodes cancer . Yours may be nothing but make sure.