HIPEC cancelled...now what?

Options

My 30 year old daughter was diagnosed in November 2014 with stage IV colon cancer with mets to her left ovary. This was removed and she went through chemo only to have it show up again in her right ovary in October 2015. Another surgery followed with chemo. Then her CEA doubled every six months and her Pet scan showed a small area in her bowel. It was decided HIPEC was the next step. So yesterday, with high hope, we wait with high expectations only to listen to her doctor tell us "the disease has spread way more than expected ".  In total shock, we hear him inform us he removed "some" but he would have had to remove her "entire pelvis". It is now on her liver and diaphragm so the HIPEC would have been useless so to continue chemo. What?!?!?!? Continue the same regimen that is not working?! And continue getting those useless Pet scans!? We are now looking into MD Anderson and would welcome any information or advice anyone has to offer. God bless all of the fighters and caregivers on this site. 

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I have no advice or anything

I have no advice or anything to offer, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say that I hope there are some options for your daughter. I cannot imagine. My daughter is 29.

Hugs,

Jan

• Travelmom
    Travelmom Member Posts: 14
    Options
    HIPEC

get 3 when something new happens or changes. Some will even consult over the phone. Ask around. Again, prayers are with you and please keep us posted. I may be in the same boat eventually. Have mets to my abdominal cavity and now lungs. Stay strong for her. I know I need my Mother to . Where is the procedure supposed to be done? Which hospital?  XO 

• JamiesMom14
    JamiesMom14 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

I have no advice or anything

I have no advice or anything to offer, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say that I hope there are some options for your daughter. I cannot imagine. My daughter is 29.

Hugs,

Jan

Thank you so much for the

Thank you so much for the support. Means a lot. God Bless. 

• JamiesMom14
    Options
    Travelmom said:

HIPEC

get 3 when something new happens or changes. Some will even consult over the phone. Ask around. Again, prayers are with you and please keep us posted. I may be in the same boat eventually. Have mets to my abdominal cavity and now lungs. Stay strong for her. I know I need my Mother to . Where is the procedure supposed to be done? Which hospital?  XO 

Thank you so much for the

Thank you so much for the advice. I never knew some may give opinions over the phone. We are in Cleveland. She was supposed to have the procedure yesterday but did not due to what they found.  We are trying to get different opinions on our options. Thank you again for your input and God bless. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Terrible, terrifying news

I too have a children around that age, and my heart would break with pain, to hear such a diagnoisis. 

I cannot guide you anywhere, but only let you know that thoughts and prayer are with you and especially your daughter. The in-your-face truth is that is looks dire, but the human spirit can move mountains, and you never, ever give up hope. 

I hope MD Anderson can help. There are many trials out there, and your daughter needs to be on one of them. 

Tru

• JamiesMom14
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Terrible, terrifying news

I too have a children around that age, and my heart would break with pain, to hear such a diagnoisis. 

I cannot guide you anywhere, but only let you know that thoughts and prayer are with you and especially your daughter. The in-your-face truth is that is looks dire, but the human spirit can move mountains, and you never, ever give up hope. 

I hope MD Anderson can help. There are many trials out there, and your daughter needs to be on one of them. 

Tru

Thank you so much for your

Thank you so much for your support. It has been a tough 24 hours but we are starting to tighten our boot straps and face the storm. Jamie is amazingly taking this very well. She is a tough little chick!  God bless. 

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Options
    Heart broken

We all know the pain of a suffering child, but this just tears my heart up. Is that you and your daughter in your picture? So beautiful. We can certainly feel the love between you. 

I am Stage 4 as well. And I am not a candidate for surgery either. Yet. I agree with the wisdom above that calling around and getting lots of opinions might be a great first step. I have personally chosen to explore alternative treatments. I see that you are in Cleveland. Do you go to the Cleveland Clinic? Thought it was one of the best. 

Will be praying for your family. Especially your sweet daughter. 

Sincerely,  Beth

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited January 2018 #9
    Options
    Courage is not the absence of

Courage is not the absence of fear, but the acquired ability to move beyond fear. Sounds like you have that going on. Take my thoughts and hopes that you find exactly who and what she needs for this battle..................................Dave

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Courage and Faith

This strikes a double chord to those of us who are currently fighting cancer and who are also parents.  I would give my life for my children.  I can't imagine your feelings of anguish and fear, but as Dave said, courage is acting in the face of fear.  You are doing so.  And, I would like to remind you of what faith the size of a mustard seed can do.

You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jim

• Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838 Member
    edited January 2018 #11
    Options
    So sad to read your update.

So sad to read your update. May Love and Light guide your way and may Hope and Faith offer a solid foundation for your every step!

(((sincere virtual hugs)))

Phil

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So sorry

your daughter and you are going through this terrible time.  Wishing you and her peace and healing.  Sending you love and positive thoughts. 

Bless you both. 

Pam