azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member

anyone else have hard time with acid reflux

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Acid Reflux

Azgrandma,

I did not have serious issues with acid reflux during treatment, but did a couple of years before my diagnosis.  I started out taking Prevacid, but didn't like the idea that I would have to take it forever.  So, I turned to alternative approaches.

It sounds counterintuitive, but acid reflux is actually caused by too little acid in the stomach, which allows the valve between your stomach and esophagus to relax, which lets the stomach acid you do have leak into your esophagus, which causes the burning sensation.

I resolved mine by taking a product called Heartburn Free every other day for a month and taking a supplement called DGL with each meal during that time.  At the end of the month, I no longer had any symptoms and I didn't have to continue taking the supplements. 

Once in a while, I get a little acid reflux, but I just take the DGL for a couple of days and it's gone.

I hope this helps.

• Franlrc9
    Franlrc9 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2018 #3
    Options
    Acid Reflux After First Chemo

I have experienced a few (maybe 3 or 4) instances of acid reflus and some stomach discomfort starting the day after the first chemo.  The first one caused me to throw up in my mouth a little so I took the generic Zofran my doc prescribed.  That did not seem to help so I took a liquorice tablet and that coated my stomach and helped a little.  It has not been a big problem but it's there.