Chemo Induced Neuropathy

Sinclair
Sinclair Member Posts: 3

Hi I am new to this forum even though I registered in 2014 when I first began treatment. Survived stage 1 breast cancer which was HER+. Did 6 weeks chemo Taotere, Radiatiom & Hormone therapy. Within a a week after 1st treatment began having weakness in legs. Doctor recommended changing my meds but I decided not to based on alarming research of AC med. Almost 3 years after completed all treatments I have been diagnosed with me Chemo induced neuropahy. It is very painful & over the counter meds wont work for me anymore. Doctor can't give me any pain meds. I am under 50 & I now use a cane to help with getting around. And it seems like the pain gets extremely worse in cold weather.  Need help trying to find resolution because I have a job that I want to keep. Does anyone else have these issues as well? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Just an idea

I am forum hopping, coming from the colorectal forum. 

I also have chemo induced neuropathy, and I am four years out from treatment.  I don't know if this will help you, but I have noticed that my neuropathy fluctuates depending on foods I eat.  Triggers for me are too much sugar and salt. 

I have kept a record of foods I eat in order to see if foods affect me, not just the neuropathy, but other symptoms; and for me, it does. Of course, I'm such a sad person, it doesn't stop me eating said foods, and then I suffer for it. 

So, just an idea that you might want to look into (or not). 

Tru

• Sinclair
    Sinclair Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for that

Thank you for that information. I'm going to look into it. Never thought foods could be triggers for it. I do know with the cold weather comes more pain 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited January 2018 #4
    Sinclair

It happens and some docs will prescrib neurotin to help.  I took it for a year but did not like the fuzziness in my head, I had enough from all the chemo.  I continue to suffer from it and Tru is right, some foods can aggrivate it.  Weather changes are not our friend. 

I feel your pain.

Hugs,

Annie