Immunotherapy

Options

Hello, my husband has colon cancer. He was stage 2 and had a resection of the colon did chemo. Had a reoccurance almost a year later. Stage 3 involving a lot of lymp nodes in the pelvis area. He did chemo and it did not work. The tumor has actually grew bigger. Invading the bladder etc in the pelvis area. Radiation is not an option. When the doctor called he only mentioned doing immunotherapy. We meet with his oncologist tomorrow and I have my list of questions ready. I can't asleep. My question is: had this happen to anyone else? Has anyone done just immunotherapy and had any luck. Any information would be greatly appreciated. He's 35 and has no other health problems. 

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited January 2018 #2
    Options
    So very sorry

So sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis.  I'm not able to help you with your situation, or what your husband might be going through but I'm able to tell you that you are a very kind wife to try to find out things for your husband.  You are right, it's hard to be a spouse and not have concerns about your loved one.  You are trying to get answers and sometimes it's hard.  I'm hoping that you are going with him tomorrow to ask the questions and hope they are answered.  Good luck to both of you.

Kim

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    edited January 2018 #3
    Options
    I have seen cases of

I have seen cases of immunotherapy working but they are for specific type of cancer. The best known is using Keytruda for MSI-H patients. There are another couple of gene mutations with immunotherapy in clinincal trials right now. Your doctor should explain exactly what he means in your meeting.

• Worriedchild
    Worriedchild Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Iam sorry tomknow about your

Iam sorry tomknow about your husband kitten i would appreciate if you tell me what kind of chemo he had after his first surgery stage 2 were there any lymphnodes positive that time? What kind of chemo he recieved that time any replies would be helpful for me my dad had resection for stage 2 iam worried

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. The chemo

Hello and welcome. The chemo that works best for me is an immunotherapy chemo. The immunotherapy chemos are the chemo of the future until something better comes along, according to my doctor and from what I've read. I've been on several different ones including an oral one that not only did nothing but I got an additional tumour while on it. The immunotherapy chemo was quite effective and shrunk the tumours a bit. I don't know how it would work on lymph nodes but it should work on any cancer cells wherever they are in the body. It basically kicks up the immune system so it goes after the cancer cells rather than just being a poison like regular chemos. The issue with cancer is that the body doesn't recognise it as something to be fought off and somehow the chemo tells it to fight it. If I'm not mistaken, it looks for a certain chemical that's in the cancer.

My original tumour was tested to see what it was vulnerable to and this chemo was the one. I assume they have or will test your husband's tumour as well. The only side effects were a rash and some fatigue. The name of it escapes me right at the moment, sorry. 

Good luck!

Jan

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

Hello and welcome. The chemo

Hello and welcome. The chemo that works best for me is an immunotherapy chemo. The immunotherapy chemos are the chemo of the future until something better comes along, according to my doctor and from what I've read. I've been on several different ones including an oral one that not only did nothing but I got an additional tumour while on it. The immunotherapy chemo was quite effective and shrunk the tumours a bit. I don't know how it would work on lymph nodes but it should work on any cancer cells wherever they are in the body. It basically kicks up the immune system so it goes after the cancer cells rather than just being a poison like regular chemos. The issue with cancer is that the body doesn't recognise it as something to be fought off and somehow the chemo tells it to fight it. If I'm not mistaken, it looks for a certain chemical that's in the cancer.

My original tumour was tested to see what it was vulnerable to and this chemo was the one. I assume they have or will test your husband's tumour as well. The only side effects were a rash and some fatigue. The name of it escapes me right at the moment, sorry. 

Good luck!

Jan

Glad to see progress with

Glad to see progress with your cancer.