Anyone had radioembolization or Y90 treatment?

Options
KarenMG
KarenMG Member Posts: 109

I am scheduled for a consult with a radiologist about having this done. Everything I've read about it makes it sound like a really tough thing to go through. Especially if you get the syndrome afterwards with nausea, vomiting and fevers. I'm not finding a lot of patient testimony about this anywhere.

Would love to hear from anyone that's had it with results, bad or good. Have to make a decision soon.

Thanks a bunch in advance! Smile

Karen

Comments

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I had Y90

It was an outpatient procedure and has worked well to kill off the tumors in right of my liver. They are still visible but are dead and continue to shrink.  The left side of my liver is regenerating, which is a side effect of the radiation to the other side.

I did have some nauseau but only threw up once.  It was not bad at all.  I'm glad I had it done.  If you are afraid of the radioactive beads, they can inject chemo directly into the liver instead of radiation.  However, I heard that can make you feel more ill.  It's a tough call sometimes to know what is best to do.

I will be back on systemic chemo next week due to tumors in my lungs growing even though its a slow growth the doctors want me to start on Folfiri indefinitely at this point.  I may be able to go back on a maintainence chemo if the tumors in my lungs shrink and disappear like the rest of the tumors have.

Good luck to you.

Joan   

• KarenMG
    Options
    Joan M said:

I had Y90

It was an outpatient procedure and has worked well to kill off the tumors in right of my liver. They are still visible but are dead and continue to shrink.  The left side of my liver is regenerating, which is a side effect of the radiation to the other side.

I did have some nauseau but only threw up once.  It was not bad at all.  I'm glad I had it done.  If you are afraid of the radioactive beads, they can inject chemo directly into the liver instead of radiation.  However, I heard that can make you feel more ill.  It's a tough call sometimes to know what is best to do.

I will be back on systemic chemo next week due to tumors in my lungs growing even though its a slow growth the doctors want me to start on Folfiri indefinitely at this point.  I may be able to go back on a maintainence chemo if the tumors in my lungs shrink and disappear like the rest of the tumors have.

Good luck to you.

Joan   

Thanks Joan

One question if I may, have you been on Folfiri before or the Camptosar? I think it is my last option for chemo...I think, not really sure. Just wondered how you tolerated it?

Thanks

• Joan M
    Options
    Karen,

Karen,

I was on Folfox from March 2016 to July 2016, then on maintainence chemo of Xeloda and Avastin until August 2017.  I tolerated them pretty well and had good results on folfox.  My scans showed growth in lung tumors, so my oncologist wanted me to go back on Folfox but I don't want to experience the neuropathy or side effects to the cold.  

The doctor here and the one I saw at MD Anderson agreed that either Folfox or Folfiri are needed at this time to get rid of the lung tumors.  I've never taken Folfiri before but am hoping to do well on it.  If the tumors disappear, I can go on a different maintainence chemo.  I'm also on a waitlist for an immunotherapy trial.  So look forward to getting rid of this cancer!  I believe that it is possible to be cured even at stage 4.  I've read about others who have been so know it is possible.

Let me know what your doctors recommend and what you decide.  

• phuckcancer
    phuckcancer Member Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    my hubby had Y90 in Nov.. he

my hubby had Y90 in Nov.. he had a mapping of the liver, then treatment to one side and a couple weeks after that treatment to the other side. he is now back on chemo and we have a CT scan this week and a MRI next month (to specifically check the treatment area from Y90

• debugy2k
    debugy2k Member Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My mom had Y90 on one side of

My mom had Y90 on one side of the liver as well.  The spheres were targeted for 3 tumors.  Mom didn't have any bad side effects.  Just some nausea.  Did an overnight stay at the hospital for monitoring.  All you have to "worry" about is to not walk/sit that much after the procedure because you have to let the insertion point heal up at the groin area (assuming that's where they enter the blood vessel).  So mom just took it easy for a few weeks.  But other than that it was an easy procedure.  You won't know the results until your next scan which they will schedule a few months down the road since they want the inflammation caused by the radiation to descrease.  Also another note is that you should stay away from loved ones and pets for a week after the procedure so they don't get exposed to the radiation.  You don't have to isolate yourself but just don't be hugging a baby to sleep or sitting next to someone while binge watching netflix.

• KarenMG
    Options
    Thanks so much!

It's so wonderful to hear about others experiences, maybe not a ton of folks do get this treatment.

I am a terrible worrier, I'm doing all my pre planning, will and such prior to having any of these treatments. I don't know why I'm so terrified but maybe I'm just tired of having so many scary procedures done. I had a major surgery to have the colectomy back in Nov 2016.

Actually I did fairly well with that, just healing has been long and arduous. I am not the only one here that has been through this stuff for sure, but definitely I'm tired of it all but I continue to fight the fight.

I am going to talk to the radiologist tomorrow I think, if he calls like I was told he was going to. Then my doctor too until I feel like I have enough info to decide that 100 percent I'm going forward with this. It's a big deal in my opinion.

I can't just let this monster keep growing inside me without making some effort to get rid of it.

Thanks again and God bless you all.

Karen Cool

• Joan M
    edited February 2018 #8
    Options
    Had Folfox in 2016. Just went on Folfiri last week.

The Folfiri is easier for me than the Folfox was.  

Folfox caused shock sensations when touching or drinking anything cold. Also caused nueropathy which at fist lasted for days and would go away just before the next treatment, then it lasted longer and longer.  I only had 8 treatements as instructed by the GI doctor from Mayo Clinic, he said the results after 8 treatmens are not significant, and it helps to avoid permanent neuropathy.  I believe I have slight hearing loss from the Oxaliplatin - it's hard to distinguish words sometimes. I ask people to repeat themselves and they don't like that. 

Then went on Xeloda and Avastin for 13 months until that stopped working.

Started Folfiri last Friday and was sick for a few days.  I threw up 4 times and  had stomach cramps whenever I ate anything.  Didn't have diarhea util Tuesday.  I learned to take the nauseau meds as soon as I wake up so I don't throw up.  Also I take Immodium before breakfast and haven't had diarhea again since then. I've been feeling better the last 3 days but still tired alot more than usual.  I go in next Friday for 2nd treatment. Hope it goes well.    

My dermatologis told me to take 5000 mcg of Biotin every day to help my hair grow in more healthy, possibly minimize hair loss.  So far haven't lost hair, but it could happen.  Many people say their hair just thinned.  Can't worry about it I guess, just want to kill the cancer and avoid being sick all the time.

Good luck!