lymphedema serendipity

Options
AnotherSurvivor
AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
edited January 2018 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I have been experimenting with ways to treat my jaw and neck lymphedema, and may have stumbled on to something.  I have been sporadically applying various skin moisturizers to the area of my neck skin that got toasted by the radiation, and wearing a variety of heavy scarfs to keep my whole neck warm.  I happened to have an old tube of Aquaphor in the bathroom, and decided to try it in place of the normal white skin cream.  Turns out the Aquaphor had gone liquid, now a clear fairly oily thin cream.  As I have been applying it both my toasted skin and my lymphedema have gotten considerably better.  My periodic neck swelling is still there, but much reduced, the tightness that has reached from my jaw down is gone.

I speculate that what has happened is that the thin oil is doing its skin repair thing, but the moist soft application is also acting as a mild stimulant and massage to the toasted lymph nodes.  I also find that now reaching up and doing a periodic soft massage is easier and gentler.  Yes, it leaves my neck feeling a bit oily.  Regardless, I am seeing a very quick improvement in my lymphedema.  Whether it lasts or not, too soon to tell.

Comments

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    Options
    ...ah, try everything

...then try, try again!  So glad you are having some relief!  Thank you for sharing.

Crystal