What does define the stage of a kidney tumor?

CarlosRosado
CarlosRosado Member Posts: 88 Member

the size?

if it has spread?

I am reading in this forum that people with tumors < 4 cms  in stages 3 or 4 

i went to my doctor , he already sent me with the urologist, this morning he told me we have to wait to see the urologist to define the stage and therefore the treatment 

my tumor, according the Ct scan is 5.1 cm and no evidence of metastatic decease 

Comments

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Typically it's stage 1 if 7

Typically it's stage 1 if 7 cm or under and is completely contained in the kidney. If it has spread beyond the kidney itself then it could be any size and be stage 3 (invaded vein or tissues around kidney) or stage 4 (gone to distant organs.) This staging diagram is very helpful.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/kidney-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/staging.html

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    edited January 2018 #3
    Size and location

there are many many examples on all the kidney  cancer websites

5.1 if still contained within kidney will be staged at 1b

I dont want to cause you anxiety but some small masses may be 3 or 4 if they have broken out of the renal capsule or into one of the main veins

it would be rare for a Surgeon to give you a full grade untill they have seen the full pathology...

Try not to panic... the waiting and the uncertainty can drive you insane

but you have no signs of spread so  you are in with a excellent chance  of  a complete cure

but the follow ups are very very important

have you got a surgery date

Annie

• CarlosRosado
    CarlosRosado Member Posts: 88 Member

Size and location

there are many many examples on all the kidney  cancer websites

5.1 if still contained within kidney will be staged at 1b

I dont want to cause you anxiety but some small masses may be 3 or 4 if they have broken out of the renal capsule or into one of the main veins

it would be rare for a Surgeon to give you a full grade untill they have seen the full pathology...

Try not to panic... the waiting and the uncertainty can drive you insane

but you have no signs of spread so  you are in with a excellent chance  of  a complete cure

but the follow ups are very very important

have you got a surgery date

Annie

It does matter if in the

It does matter if in the upper pole of the kidney?  Is there any diference? 

• Tapman63
    Tapman63 Member Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2018 #5
    Same Page

I think you and I are on the same page about wondering...I think we're just looking for good news anywhere we can find it.  My CT scan didn't show any spread to other organs  The mass is under 7cm.  I totally get they can't stage anything until they biopsy it after surgery and see if it is, in fact, cancer....but I think we're just wanting peace of mind that it all looks like it's stage I.  My fear is somehow they see something they didn't see on the CT scan that would up the staging.  I'm guessing this is normal fear/paranoia.....

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    No difference

most masses  are contained within the kidney are either in the upper or lower pole

It gets more complex when they are in the mid lateral area

annie