Thinking of you ...

eihtak
eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member

Hi everyone,

It seems its been far too long since I have posted here but know that I think of you all so often. I've been reading when time and welcome all the new folks (though always sorry for the need, but hopefully like the rest of us you will find a great sorce of comfort and strength through this little family of ours).

I was initially dx with stage 3b anal cancer almost 7 yrs ago now, followed by a dx of breast cancer a year later and then 3 yrs ago anal cancer mets to my lung. While I certainly have had my darkest and scariest days through this all, I have also been blessed to have many more of the best days of my life in the past 7 years! I wish the same for all of you...that in time, you can say the good outweighs the bad.

My husband and I play a game of ping pong cancer dx's as he has been treated for multiple myeloma (a blood cancer) with a recurrance in his spine, during the past 8 yrs as well. This past fall he suffered a heart attack and he is still struggling to get back to the health he'd like but fortunately he doesn't give up easily and he is stubborn.

I have been so busy with family (8 grandkids now and 2 "sort of step" grandkids) I am at hockey rinks, basketball courts, pools, soccer fields, and making amazing forts out of couch cushions and blankets these days! My granddaughter almost 2yrs old was born with a dx of cerebral palsy and epilepsy and I have been spending time with her and my daughter learning the ropes of therapy. We are all just overjoyed as this Christmas she was able to walk, albeit unsteady and with the use of a pediatric reverse walker (it goes behind her leaving the front open)...something they did not anticipate for another year!! I am so deeply grateful that God has put her in our lives and given me time to spend with her and all of them. 

I want those just starting out here to know that although it may be hard to see in the midst of this journey (because, yes, it does get mirky), there is a light at the end and you'll get there too!

I have tried to dis-connect a little this past year, but have realized the importance of this site to me at certain times as it is to many others, and will plan to come back more often...I don't actually like being dis-connected no matter what some people reccommend because without you all I'd never have found the love and support I needed when I needed it. Thank you for NOT dis-connecting on me!!

I see my doctors the end of this month and (think) I will be scanned again this spring, but for today, I feel fabulous! I pray the holidays have filled you all with God's grace and peace and the New Year brings health and happiness.

katheryn

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    katheryn

It is so good to hear from you and know that you are doing well and enjoying your family.  I am sorry that your husband is still trying to recover from his health issues, but I hope he will be stronger in the days and months ahead.  Your family life sounds wonderful and I am so happy for you.

As for not being on this site as often, it is understandable.  I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing--it means, at least in your case, that there are other things going on in your life!  I don't spend as much time here or on other sites as I used to--I really don't have time, now that I am overseeing my mother's care.  But I try not to get too far away or be gone for too long, as a person never knows when support will once again be needed.  What a great group of people there are on this site who do that for those in need of encouragement.

Take care and please know that I think about you often and am always glad to see an update from you.  I wish you continued good health and happiness and I send big hugs!

• eihtak
    edited January 2018 #3
    mp327 said:

katheryn

It is so good to hear from you and know that you are doing well and enjoying your family.  I am sorry that your husband is still trying to recover from his health issues, but I hope he will be stronger in the days and months ahead.  Your family life sounds wonderful and I am so happy for you.

As for not being on this site as often, it is understandable.  I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing--it means, at least in your case, that there are other things going on in your life!  I don't spend as much time here or on other sites as I used to--I really don't have time, now that I am overseeing my mother's care.  But I try not to get too far away or be gone for too long, as a person never knows when support will once again be needed.  What a great group of people there are on this site who do that for those in need of encouragement.

Take care and please know that I think about you often and am always glad to see an update from you.  I wish you continued good health and happiness and I send big hugs!

Martha...

Thank you for the wishes of health and kind thoughts for both my husband and myself. I really do have a great family, we have our share of drama, but in the end it makes for laughter and memories (most of the time).

I think it is important to post here as well and I do feel bad that I haven't so much, but you are right...life is happening and thats a good thing. That being said, I am so grateful for all the encouragement and support I have received over the years and want to share that with others when I can.

Taking care of an aging parent becomes a full time job sometimes. This past year I too had spent much time doing so with my dad but fortunately had the help of my sister. My dad was struck with pneumonia back to back and was unable to fully recover and last May he peacefully went to sleep watching his favorite baseball team and passed away. He was such a wonderful father and even though he wasn't always aware of me during his final days, I still knew him and I miss him dearly. I do hope you are able to share some happy moments with your mom as well.

Big big hugs back to you....

katheryn

• mp327
    katheryn

Thank you for sharing that about your father.  Please know that I send my deepest condolences for your loss.  It is very hard to see a parent fail in health, and I think particularly difficult when there is nothing we can do to help them.  My mother sleeps most of the time when I visit her and would not even know if I skipped a day of visiting her.  However, I still go every day and spend a couple of hours with her.  You were a good daughter to care so lovingly for your dad.  Now take good care of yourself and enjoy your family.  Hugs to you, my friend.

• maggiesco
    maggiesco Member Posts: 39 Member
    eihtak

Hi Katheryn,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. As a newly diagnosed anal cancer fighter I can see the positivity and possibilites, and try to keep focused on that. It is a difficulty journey, but one that is possible to get through. Thanks again, hugs.

~Maggie

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited January 2018 #6
    Katheryn

I've only been on the site for about a year but it has seemed to me you are one of the more active posters who are "old timers" and your advice and support are always spot on. Thanks for helping to make this site so helpful for so many.

• eihtak
    edited January 2018 #7
    maggiesco said:

eihtak

Hi Katheryn,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. As a newly diagnosed anal cancer fighter I can see the positivity and possibilites, and try to keep focused on that. It is a difficulty journey, but one that is possible to get through. Thanks again, hugs.

~Maggie

Maggie...

Hi,

Thank you. I'm glad you are able to focus on the positive because, yes, you will get through this...but I am so sorry that you are faced with the challenge.

Not too long before my diagnosis, one of my daughters had been married. My sister reminded me (when I was overwhelmed at the whole process of my cancer treatment plan) of how fast the months went from the time we began making plans for, and the actual wedding...it was a year but it flew by quickly because we were focused on the big day! Try to hold on to your big day when you will receive your last radiation or chemo treatment...there will be some difficult times, but it will come sooner than you think!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for smooth and steady forward steps...

katheryn

• eihtak
    edited January 2018 #8

Katheryn

I've only been on the site for about a year but it has seemed to me you are one of the more active posters who are "old timers" and your advice and support are always spot on. Thanks for helping to make this site so helpful for so many.

Mollymaude...

Thank you, that is so kind of you to say. I think we all have something to contribute in some way and often we may not even realize that something we post is making a huge difference in someone elses journey here. 

I was not aware of this forum when I was dx or in the early part of my recovery but it sure would have been a help. No one I knew of had ever even mentioned "anal cancer" and I felt so alone. Often it seemed that even my nurses and other medical staff were in new territory as well. I lucked out when at one point I was hospitalized with some complications and one young nurse was my Godsend....though no experience with anal cancer, she was genuine, kind, creative, patient, and willing to learn along with me and gave me the encouragement I truly needed to get through. I will never ever forget her.

Those who find there way here to this site, are already a step ahead because of the support we freely share.

Be well...

katheryn

• mp327
    Ohmy

I'm so glad to hear that your recent PET scan was NED!  That is great!  I hope you are feeling well.  It sounds like you are enjoying life--wonderful!

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Thanks to all of you for

Thanks to all of you for helping me through my treatment and recovery last year.  I learned so much on this website.  My PET scan in December was NED so I am free until my next scan in April.  Planning a few trips for business and pleasure between now and then.  My treatment ended on March 17, 2017.  It is also St. Patrick's Day and my granddaughter's birthday.  I look forward to seeing her in March for her third birthday.  Thank you for sharing all your ups and downs with us Katheryn.  It's gives us the strength to continue the journey.