Heartburn 5 months post-treatment

Lady54
Lady54 Member Posts: 7 Member

I finished 35 rounds of radiation and 2 doses of Cisplatin on August 1st for HPV+ SSC tonsil cancer stage 4.  A couple of days ago I started to experience constant heartburn symptoms. Has anyone else had this experience?  I am scheduled for an MRI on January 14th and am thinking of asking my oncologist to include a scan of my esophagus.  Thoughts? 

Comments

• Curlyn
    Curlyn Member Posts: 189
    Im 7 weeks out from treatment

Im 7 weeks out from treatment. Oncologist told me heartburn can often develop/be a problem after chemoradiation.

• I'm currently almost 5 months

I'm currently almost 5 months post treatment and I've had issues with acid reflux since. I've just been taking pepcid but that wasn't helping so now trying zantac. I used to be on omeprezole which helped. (Doc has to prescribe)

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    I had heartburn also. My

I had heartburn also. My doctor said it was a normal side effect. He was going to prescribe something for it, but he knows I had to take medication. 

He said over the counter Gaviscon was very close to what he would have prescribed. For me, I can take it at the first signs of heartburn and it's gone within minutes.

• Fire34
    Fire34 Member Posts: 365
    omeprozole(sp) here

My ENT prescribed that for me, I have barrets esophagus and they did not want it to get any worse. I beleive the reflux for me is just a side effect of the radiation. Good luckon you recovery

Dave