The C: Section Chronicles - Last one of 2017

Options
Bob Watt
Bob Watt Member Posts: 60 Member

The C: Section Chronicles - Last one of 2017

This year has certainly been rough, but not the roughest I have had.

It is 8 months to the day of my LDOT (Last day of treatment), and while I have tried to keep a positive outlook on it all I have come to the realisation that life is on a very slender thread. We don't know what's around the corner, and perhaps just as well. Cancer survival is what it is. I am one of the lucky ones, yet I know there are others who aren't as fortunate and there is no chance of coming out of this unscathed. For this it makes me sad, and also makes me feel guilty in some way which is hard to explain and hard for others to understand...

My oncologist says I have PTSD... nothing new here I have had that for the past 30+ years... I didn't enjoy the book or the movie... She says I have had a near death experience, 2 in fact. One when I was overdosed with morphine and the other, the cancer itself... I suppose she is right.

I try not to dwell on things, in fact I rarely think about either of those two things as I have learned how to put stuff out of my mind. But our subconscious mind is not about thinking or thoughts... It is something that is there and controls our emotions and feelings which then reveals itself in our moods and in other ways.
I'm hoping that this will pass and that 2018 will be a better year... and to  everyone on this forum, have a safe and Merry Christmas and I hope 2018 is the best year ever for you

Comments

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Yes Sir

I am about a year out of treatment. What a wild ride its been. It will sure feel goot to boot 2017 in the arse and send it on its merry way. Cheers and here is wishing a new begining to for you in the year to come. Drive it like you stoled it. He gone.

• lorijeannj
    lorijeannj Member Posts: 56 Member
    edited December 2017 #3
    Options
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Bob

Kicking 2017 bye bye

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't historically celebrate New Years...

But this year I feel like I need to go out and really do it up and welcome 2018 with open arms.

Happy holidays!

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Telling It Like It Is

Very commendable remarks about your PTSD.  Most people don't even like to mention it. You've looked at it head on and I salute you for doing so. Willful denial is fine.  The ones to worry about is the stuffers.  If they don't talk about it something bad may come of it.  Who's to say?  Surely not me.

Have a wonderful New Year with healing being number one!

• patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    BEAST WAR RECOVERY AND PTSD

Hey Bob, 8 months out is just breaking out of the egg of the beginning of your new normal.  I was pretty bummed out in those early days and months, wondering if I would ever be able to function anywhere close to what I was doing pre Beast invasion.  I very fortunately have been able to get back to a tremendous level of functioning, and fully enjoying life, which, I might add, so I will, did require going through a couple more Beast wars, and at least one near death experience. It sounds like your recovery is coupled with some past and treatment experiences which have resulted in PTSD.   It is always a good idea to resolve PTSD whenever possible.  There are a number of evidence based psychological treatments for PTSD which you may want to consider looking into.  One of the most effective and briefer treatments is EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), which I have had some experience with and highly recommend.  I do believe that your recovery, and life in general would be enhanced if you were to receive some professional assistance to resolve your PTSD; you don't have to continue to endure the pain that it engenders, there is hope that you can feel better.  I wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  Keep It Mov'in Forward.