Sharp pain in ears when eating and drinking

This is my first post. Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I’m five weeks post treatment for BOT cancer. HPV+. I’m slowly beginning to eat and drink again but I get a stabbing pain in my ears whenever I take a bite or drink anything. I had my 30 day follow up with ENT yesterday. He said I was radiated and there was nothing he could do. Told me to gargle with salt water. Tried that several times yesterday and today to no avail. Has anyone had this happen? If so, what did you do to relieve the pain. I’m taking Tylenol.

Comments

• bebo12249
    bebo12249 Member Posts: 181 Member
    edited December 2017 #2
    I never had theses symptoms

I never had theses symptoms so can’t comment. But if the prescribed gargle is to work, it will likely take more than one day. In fact many of the chemo/rads side effects resolve on their own with sufficient time, and when they do resolve, it will be gradually over an extended period of time. Think of recovery occurring over many months, not days or even weeks. We’re here for a long ride. Bill

• Curlyn
    Curlyn Member Posts: 189
    Joe, you do not say if you

Joe, you do not say if you have had surgery or not. I had surgery on parotid and had first bite syndrome, gone now ( you can look it up). Regardless, you are only 5 weeks, prob still have some inflammation and swelling there. Another thought, could it be jaw related? Did you see hearing and speech/dysphagia person for jaw and swallowing assessment? Are you taking your pain meds? Still early days but you are your own best advocate and if it gets worse you should speak with your appropriate doctor. I have learned that if someone says there is nothing they can do, to ask: now or ever? explain what makes you say that in regard to what's happening with my anatomy? can you speak to the rest of the team about my problem?...just some thoughts. Take care! Hope you feel better soon.

• PCB Joe
    PCB Joe Member Posts: 26
    Curlyn said:

Joe, you do not say if you

Joe, you do not say if you have had surgery or not. I had surgery on parotid and had first bite syndrome, gone now ( you can look it up). Regardless, you are only 5 weeks, prob still have some inflammation and swelling there. Another thought, could it be jaw related? Did you see hearing and speech/dysphagia person for jaw and swallowing assessment? Are you taking your pain meds? Still early days but you are your own best advocate and if it gets worse you should speak with your appropriate doctor. I have learned that if someone says there is nothing they can do, to ask: now or ever? explain what makes you say that in regard to what's happening with my anatomy? can you speak to the rest of the team about my problem?...just some thoughts. Take care! Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Curlyn. I didn’t have

Thanks, Curlyn. I didn’t have surgery. My ENT onc said I was still radiated and to give it time. Still taking meds. After speaking with ENT and Med onc, I feel more comfortable with my outlook. This forum has helped me greatly!

• PCB Joe
    PCB Joe Member Posts: 26
    bebo12249 said:

I never had theses symptoms

I never had theses symptoms so can’t comment. But if the prescribed gargle is to work, it will likely take more than one day. In fact many of the chemo/rads side effects resolve on their own with sufficient time, and when they do resolve, it will be gradually over an extended period of time. Think of recovery occurring over many months, not days or even weeks. We’re here for a long ride. Bill

Thanks, Bill. I’ve been

Thanks, Bill.