Intramammary node....

Options

​ok... so recently I found out the 1cm mass they found in my breast was not just "standard" tumor, but an abnormal intramammary node.  Instantly they diagnosed it as Birads II, which I've read online is the standard instant diagnosis when mass is intramammary node. Mine is 3cm from nipple in lower outer quadrant around 8 o'clock.  They are clearly not pushing biopsy, because their standard protocol claims it's benign - no matter what. HOWEVER, I am not a "standard" person and do not like being so easily dismissed LOL (Haha it makes me think of the breath-mint commercial with the girl and the unicorn)... Therefore, I research and ask questions... In my research, I tend to NOT read standard articles everyone copies and pastes to their websites, rather I look for actual doctor reports and medical reports written by doctors/pathologists regarding STUDIES done.  In the information I found, it said that of all the intramammary nodes found (that were at first diagnosed as the average, benign, Birads II), upon actual biopsy for study, 23% of those intramammary nodes proved to be positive/malignant... In their study of over 60 people that has "benign" intramammary node, 20 of them were actually malignant!  23% is not so easily dismissable, if you ask me... It's not like reading malignancy was found in only 1-5%.  I pushed my doctor asking for biopsy anyway, regardless of standard Birad II being the diagnosis... And while my doctor didn't say ok, he did put in referral for MRI of both breasts. So, at least I'm not being completely dismissed at this point (perhaps he knows my insurance requires all imaging  testing possible before actual biopsy? Who knows?). I am currently waiting for my period to schedule that appt, because I guess they have to schedule it so many days after you start your period...

So... Why I am here posting this:  has anyone experienced being told their intramammary node was Birads II after mammogram/ultrasound, only to find out later it was actually malignant???  With 23% being such a high number, I think it's an important issue that SHOULD BE discussed more, to bring about awareness.

Thank you for any feedback/time! I hope you all are staying strong and in good Spirit! <3

Comments

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Hello there...I would not rely sooo much on what you read ONLINE but instead ask more questions of your doctors..its good your doctor will get referring a MRI

Prayer and blessing to you!

Beepositive 

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2017 #3
    Options
    Get an answer

PinkPenguin76,

Get the MRI as your doctor suggests, but if you’re still unsure about where you stand, get another opinion from another Oncologist. Bring your scans with you and have everything looked over by either a team at a different hospital, or an Oncologist who specializes in breast cancer. 

I’ll bet if your present Oncologist‘s wife, mother or sister were in your situation, they would’ve had the breast biopsy a long time ago. Be assertive. Don’t sit back and just wonder about where you stand. You don’t want to hear that “It’s probably benign.” You want to hear that it’s DEFINITELY benign. I learned this lesson the hard way.  Kats2

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    inframammary node

An inframammary node was noted on my MRI in 2009, when I was having tests before DCIS lumpectomy.  I had a recurrence of my DCIS in 2015 and the node is still there, unchanged.  NO ONE has even mentioned it to me either time; I read it on the reports.