Physical restrictions with a chest port?

Comments

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Trubrit said:

No need to cover

You won't need to do anything to your port area inbetween visits. The skin heals over straight after the needle is removed - just like getting an IV - And just as long as you take a shower or have a bath, then there is no more to be done but forget its there. 

I'm glad you won't have the 5FU pump. Like Jim, I took off with the bag sitting on the couch, and it was not comfortable. Luckily, I did not dislodge the needle. 

Oxaliplatin nfusion time can be up to three, four hours. Most of the time you will be sitting back in a comfortable chair. I only ever got up to go to the loo. Take a good book. Good music. Blanket. Laptop. Whatever it takes to keep you occupied for that amount of time. 

I would say 'how exciting', but alas, no. But you will do well. I feel it in my bones. 

Tru

My total time in chair is 4 1

My total time in chair is 4 1/2 hours. The vitals and exam about 45 minutes. That includes all the drips though, not just the oxiplatin. My coworkers are so thoughtful, that they have a sign up to be with me during infusions. I don't have the heart to tell them that I wish they weren't there the entire time. I have trouble sleeping the night before, so really could use a nap during the infusion. My oncologist got donations to fund activities for the patients being infused. Someone gives hand and feet massages, there is art, there is someone that helps make jewelry, a dance demo, that kind of thing. I love my oncologist. He and my surgeon are the reason I have a positive attitude, mostly. I, of course, have my not so good moments too.  Oh, of course, each chair has a TV.

• abita
    Mikenh said:

I was hoping to work during

I was hoping to work during infusions but I'll have to see the setup in the infusion room. I do have Campbell's Biology to get through and a Chemistry book as well. But I don't know how well I'll be able to concentrate.

What are you studying? My

What are you studying? My hospital's infusion suite has the recliner for patient, a visitor's chair, a tv suspended from ceiling. The recliner has a small table attached to arm. There are crackers and fruit in the hall for those who need it. I would say bring a water bottle. They have water, but getting up, mixing hot first so room temperature, is a pain.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    abita said:

My total time in chair is 4 1

My total time in chair is 4 1/2 hours. The vitals and exam about 45 minutes. That includes all the drips though, not just the oxiplatin. My coworkers are so thoughtful, that they have a sign up to be with me during infusions. I don't have the heart to tell them that I wish they weren't there the entire time. I have trouble sleeping the night before, so really could use a nap during the infusion. My oncologist got donations to fund activities for the patients being infused. Someone gives hand and feet massages, there is art, there is someone that helps make jewelry, a dance demo, that kind of thing. I love my oncologist. He and my surgeon are the reason I have a positive attitude, mostly. I, of course, have my not so good moments too.  Oh, of course, each chair has a TV.

Wow!

Thats quite the set up. I just had a chair in a cubicle. Quite sparse. 

Tru

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    abita said:

What are you studying? My

What are you studying? My hospital's infusion suite has the recliner for patient, a visitor's chair, a tv suspended from ceiling. The recliner has a small table attached to arm. There are crackers and fruit in the hall for those who need it. I would say bring a water bottle. They have water, but getting up, mixing hot first so room temperature, is a pain.

I'd like to self-study a

I'd like to self-study a masters in cancer biology but I'd need to cover a bunch of undergrad stuff first. Fortunately I find the undergrad stuff pretty easy so far. The main problem with the textbooks is their weight. I'd love to have an iPad version but we already have the textbooks. The water bottle sounds like a good idea. What do you recommend for size? I have 16 ounce and 32 ounce bottles.

• abita
    edited December 2017 #26
    Trubrit said:

Wow!

Thats quite the set up. I just had a chair in a cubicle. Quite sparse. 

Tru

I am in Manhattan, so maybe

I am in Manhattan, so maybe being a bigger hospital is why. That is probably also why they have the nutrionist that comes to the new patients to work out an eating plan. The hospital is being renovated, so Monday my infusion is on a different floor in the new infusion suite. The activities are all because my oncologist really believes that these help distract the patients and keep their spirits up. He and a former patient of his got donations to fund it.

• Mikenh
    One more question: do you

One more question: do you folks drive there and back?

• abita
    edited December 2017 #28
    Mikenh said:

One more question: do you

One more question: do you folks drive there and back?

I take a car service. I don't

I take a car service. I don't have a car. I may take the subway there, but will definitely take a car service home and when going back for the disconnect. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited December 2017 #29

Every doctor puts limits differently.  The first couple of weeks it should heal but you should be able to do almost everything with it except putting it in direct contact with impact of any kind.  If you accidentily hit it or smash the port it could cause problems.  Mine always hurt when hugging someone.  But I'm a hugger so my putting up with a hug was well worth it - just didn't do it to hard Wink.  Check with the doctor on weight limit, but I'm not sure my doctor gave me one.

Kim

• abita

Mike,

Mike,

My Oxy IV drip last about an hour and a half and between that and blood test and seeing my oncologist, the whole treatment usually last about 2 hours. My clinic setup is exactly the same as abita's. Maybe it's a NY thing? Lol. Every nurse at my clinic have their own sections. Once you have your favorite nurse you can just go to his/her section and be seated. My favorite nurse at my clinic is Jane and she always compliments me. She has a great bedside manner. 

I would say to either have someone pick you up or take a cab on your first treatment. I always feel drowsy afterwards so I don't dare to drive. I usually have a friend that takes me there and another friend picks me up. If no one's avaialbe I would call a cab home. 

As far as getting your work done, unless you can type with one hand but it'll be hard because the arm you're getting poked with the needle needs to be straight. If you bend it the wrong way the drip would get blocked and the machine would go off. It's a great time to read a book or play on your iPad whichever you prefer. Somehow I can't post any pics (Something about the pop up block which I have no idea). I do have my hooked up arm pic posted on my FB, Maybe Tru can repost here. 

You can bring a small bottle of water but they have water bottle to offer you at the clinic to take an anti-nausea pill before the drip starts. I get a bag of saline drip along with the Oxy so my bladder fills up quick. I have to go to the bathroom at least once during the drip. The nurse will disconnect you and reconnect you back when you return. 

At my clinic there's a heating pad at the recliner chair. Keep it on your arm. It help lessen the pain you might feel. Also make sure you wash your hands with warm water after going to the bathroom. You will feel the stinging right away from cold water. Funny thing is my clinic only has cold water in the bathroom. Go figure! 

Stupid me. I just noticed you'll be getting the chest port, not the IV drip like mine. reading all these comments about the port makes me feel even more of a wimp. 

A trick I learned, turn the

A trick I learned, turn the hot water on when you get in the bathroom, so it warms up by the time you wash your hands. Lily, when you say arm, does that mean you don't have a chemoport? If you have the chemoport, both hands are free.

My treatment is longer than yours, and a bit different. Maybe because mine spread to liver. And I am anemic. I get the saline too. I get an anti nausea drip that covers 3 days, a steroid drip to avoid allergic reactions, an iron drip, then get saline, get a 30 minute break (I forgot why, but there is a reason), then get the leucoverin and oxiplatin at the same time (takes 2 hours), and then get 20 minutes of the 5fu. Then get hooked up to the take home device with the rest of the 5fu infusion. I feel like there is one other drip I get, but I can't remember. I usually only get 4 or so hours sleep the night before, so always a little foggy headed. The other chairs get a second person in them while I am there, so I think mine is on the longish side. Again, guessing because of the spread.

We don't get water bottles. We get a cooler with plastic cups. When I go to the bathroom, I unplug the IV machine and take it with me. I got very good at that when I was in the hospital for weeks. Smile Nice that you get a heating pad. We get those blankets they keep in the warmer. Those are pretty awesome too though. 

I am not drowsy when I leave. Probably the steroid. But I definitely would not feel like driving. I barely feel like getting to the car.

Also, if you are going to get a steroid, and are going to be there a while, bring a snack. The steroid makes me really hungry.

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    Mike,

Mike,

My Oxy IV drip last about an hour and a half and between that and blood test and seeing my oncologist, the whole treatment usually last about 2 hours. My clinic setup is exactly the same as abita's. Maybe it's a NY thing? Lol. Every nurse at my clinic have their own sections. Once you have your favorite nurse you can just go to his/her section and be seated. My favorite nurse at my clinic is Jane and she always compliments me. She has a great bedside manner. 

I would say to either have someone pick you up or take a cab on your first treatment. I always feel drowsy afterwards so I don't dare to drive. I usually have a friend that takes me there and another friend picks me up. If no one's avaialbe I would call a cab home. 

As far as getting your work done, unless you can type with one hand but it'll be hard because the arm you're getting poked with the needle needs to be straight. If you bend it the wrong way the drip would get blocked and the machine would go off. It's a great time to read a book or play on your iPad whichever you prefer. Somehow I can't post any pics (Something about the pop up block which I have no idea). I do have my hooked up arm pic posted on my FB, Maybe Tru can repost here. 

You can bring a small bottle of water but they have water bottle to offer you at the clinic to take an anti-nausea pill before the drip starts. I get a bag of saline drip along with the Oxy so my bladder fills up quick. I have to go to the bathroom at least once during the drip. The nurse will disconnect you and reconnect you back when you return. 

At my clinic there's a heating pad at the recliner chair. Keep it on your arm. It help lessen the pain you might feel. Also make sure you wash your hands with warm water after going to the bathroom. You will feel the stinging right away from cold water. Funny thing is my clinic only has cold water in the bathroom. Go figure! 

Stupid me. I just noticed you'll be getting the chest port, not the IV drip like mine. reading all these comments about the port makes me feel even more of a wimp. 

• Lily Flower
    abita said:

A trick I learned, turn the

A trick I learned, turn the hot water on when you get in the bathroom, so it warms up by the time you wash your hands. Lily, when you say arm, does that mean you don't have a chemoport? If you have the chemoport, both hands are free.

My treatment is longer than yours, and a bit different. Maybe because mine spread to liver. And I am anemic. I get the saline too. I get an anti nausea drip that covers 3 days, a steroid drip to avoid allergic reactions, an iron drip, then get saline, get a 30 minute break (I forgot why, but there is a reason), then get the leucoverin and oxiplatin at the same time (takes 2 hours), and then get 20 minutes of the 5fu. Then get hooked up to the take home device with the rest of the 5fu infusion. I feel like there is one other drip I get, but I can't remember. I usually only get 4 or so hours sleep the night before, so always a little foggy headed. The other chairs get a second person in them while I am there, so I think mine is on the longish side. Again, guessing because of the spread.

We don't get water bottles. We get a cooler with plastic cups. When I go to the bathroom, I unplug the IV machine and take it with me. I got very good at that when I was in the hospital for weeks. Smile Nice that you get a heating pad. We get those blankets they keep in the warmer. Those are pretty awesome too though. 

I am not drowsy when I leave. Probably the steroid. But I definitely would not feel like driving. I barely feel like getting to the car.

Also, if you are going to get a steroid, and are going to be there a while, bring a snack. The steroid makes me really hungry.

Abita, I'm such a dork! After

Abita, I'm such a dork! After I wrote up my comment to Mike, then I realized he's getting the chest port which I reedited my comment. LOL!!! My clinic doesn't have hot water. You would think a clinic like that should have it. I would wash it really quick and just suck it up. Ugh! They do provide blankets as well. I'm usually good without the blanket. I do bring snacks with me to munch on as I do get hungry. 

• abita
    Mikenh said:

I'd like to self-study a

I'd like to self-study a masters in cancer biology but I'd need to cover a bunch of undergrad stuff first. Fortunately I find the undergrad stuff pretty easy so far. The main problem with the textbooks is their weight. I'd love to have an iPad version but we already have the textbooks. The water bottle sounds like a good idea. What do you recommend for size? I have 16 ounce and 32 ounce bottles.

You can bring the 16 ounce,

You can bring the 16 ounce, then refill it if you need more. I am going to bring the water bottle so I get enough water the whole day. The nutritionist did tell me to drink 10 cups a day. Which is a lot. I read somewhere this week that it is important to drink a lot of water to help your kidneys process out all the toxins in the chemo. I don't know if that is true. But sounds logical. I would bring a snack, just in case. Bad enough day, don't want to be hangry at the same time.

Do you have any links to info on how the chemo is able to target the fast reproducing cells? I am very interested to know how it knows how it does that. My degree is in computer science, so I did not have many of the types of classes that you will need for your degree. Good luck! I knew so little before that I didn't even know that the spread meant I was stage 4 or even what stage 4 meant. I didn't even know that the cancers were different types. I just thought that all the same, just in different parts of the body. 

• abita

Mike,

Mike,

Um, no. I feel bad for you

Um, no. I feel bad for you with the IVs. I dread those. I got like 8 or so when I was in the hospital, plus bloodwork every morning. Those needles suck!. Both have their pitfalls. 

• abita
    edited December 2017 #35

Abita, I'm such a dork! After

Abita, I'm such a dork! After I wrote up my comment to Mike, then I realized he's getting the chest port which I reedited my comment. LOL!!! My clinic doesn't have hot water. You would think a clinic like that should have it. I would wash it really quick and just suck it up. Ugh! They do provide blankets as well. I'm usually good without the blanket. I do bring snacks with me to munch on as I do get hungry. 

No hot water in the bathroom,

No hot water in the bathroom, crazy! I am at a hospital, not a clinic. But still, the clinic should know to have hot water! I can always tell when a fellow patient is colon cancer because they mix hot and cold water to get room temp for drinking :) I feel bad for you, washing my hands in cold water stings so bad.

• Lily Flower
    abita said:

Um, no. I feel bad for you with the IVs. I dread those. I got like 8 or so when I was in the hospital, plus bloodwork every morning. Those needles suck!. Both have their pitfalls. 

Aww it's ok. I'm actually

Aww it's ok. I'm actually good with the IV. Gpetting poked with the needle really depends on the nurse. I never feel any pain when my nurse (Jane) insert the needle in me. Maybe she has a steady hand and goes directly into my vein (?). 

• Mikenh
    edited December 2017 #37
    abita said:

You can bring the 16 ounce, then refill it if you need more. I am going to bring the water bottle so I get enough water the whole day. The nutritionist did tell me to drink 10 cups a day. Which is a lot. I read somewhere this week that it is important to drink a lot of water to help your kidneys process out all the toxins in the chemo. I don't know if that is true. But sounds logical. I would bring a snack, just in case. Bad enough day, don't want to be hangry at the same time.

Do you have any links to info on how the chemo is able to target the fast reproducing cells? I am very interested to know how it knows how it does that. My degree is in computer science, so I did not have many of the types of classes that you will need for your degree. Good luck! I knew so little before that I didn't even know that the spread meant I was stage 4 or even what stage 4 meant. I didn't even know that the cancers were different types. I just thought that all the same, just in different parts of the body. 

I have an MSCS and a BA CIT

I have an MSCS and a BA CIT so my background isn't in bio and chem but undergrad courses should be pretty easy if you've been in the working world and already have a STEM degree. My son works in cancer pathology so he can read and translate papers for me. I don't know how 5FU and Oxyliplatin work. I do know a little about immunotherapy.

• Mikenh
    edited December 2017 #38
    abita said:

The diagram of cell growth

The diagram of cell growth/death is helpful in understanding how complex regulation is in the body. It is similar to very complex software systems where you pass complicated data structures from module to module or subsystem to subsystem. In this case, mutations cause the system to go awry. Mutations are like data corruption in memory.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Smaller and you can't see it

The picture has run its course. :)

• Mikenh
    abita said:

I got used to them in the

I got used to them in the hospital after two days. Having to stick yourself for three weeks will also get you desensitized to needles. 

Though i I still hate them.

• RichieTheK
    RichieTheK Member Posts: 13 Member
    edited December 2017 #41
    Avoiding problems with snags

I avoid problems with snagging the line to the 5-FU pump by taping the connector to my side with medical tape. This acts as a strain relief so that I won't pull on the port if I should snag the line on something.