Is anyone able to work during chemotherapy

124»

Comments

• tmckelve
    tmckelve Member Posts: 9
    abita said:

I know I can't handle the

I know I can't handle the commute everyday. But if I could work from home, I think maybe. I worry that the fatigue might be a problem. My liver resection was 20 days ago. This recovery I think is even harder than chemo. It makes me dread going back on chemo, but I know I have to do it so that I have the best chance for no recurrence. So I will do the last 8 rounds. And the reason I know I can't do the commute is because of the 3 or 4 times I have gone soemwhere on the train, I have needed a 3 hour nap when I got home. :) And yes, I think the working would help the positive attitude come back. I have just recently had it hit me how dire my situation was when I was hospitalized for the infection, and I am also at the point where I feel like I will never get my happy life back.

Never give up

Talk to your boss and explain your situation and why you want to work, if he has a heart I'm sure he and the company you work for will accommodate you. On the last line of your statement, I will say this NEVER GIVE UP!!! I watched my best friend go thru a similar situation, he gave up and we lost him. I regret to this day not speaking up and to tell him we need him and love him. AGAIN NEVER GIVE UP!!! Your family and friends need you and love you. Fight this till your last breath. I know it's hard but get help from the people on this board and if you need to talk I'll be here E-mail me on this site and I will do everything I can to help. I have to go for my 7th round of chemo tomorrow. I’ll pray for you and keep you in my thoughts. Don't give up you will make it.

• tmckelve
    tmckelve Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2018 #63
    abita said:

I know I can't handle the

I know I can't handle the commute everyday. But if I could work from home, I think maybe. I worry that the fatigue might be a problem. My liver resection was 20 days ago. This recovery I think is even harder than chemo. It makes me dread going back on chemo, but I know I have to do it so that I have the best chance for no recurrence. So I will do the last 8 rounds. And the reason I know I can't do the commute is because of the 3 or 4 times I have gone soemwhere on the train, I have needed a 3 hour nap when I got home. :) And yes, I think the working would help the positive attitude come back. I have just recently had it hit me how dire my situation was when I was hospitalized for the infection, and I am also at the point where I feel like I will never get my happy life back.

Never give up

Talk to your boss and explain your situation and why you want to work, if he has a heart I'm sure he and the company you work for will accommodate you. On the last line of your statement, I will say this NEVER GIVE UP!!! I watched my best friend go thru a similar situation, he gave up and we lost him. I regret to this day not speaking up and to tell him we need him and love him. AGAIN NEVER GIVE UP!!! Your family and friends need you and love you. Fight this till your last breath. I know it's hard but get help from the people on this board and if you need to talk I'll be here E-mail me on this site and I will do everything I can to help. I have to go for my 7th round of chemo tomorrow. I’ll pray for you and keep you in my thoughts. Don't give up you will make it.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    tmckelve said:

Never give up

Oh, I am not giving up. I

Oh, I am not giving up. I start back on chemo in 2 weeks for my mop up chrmo. I can't say what the future holds, but my tumors have been removed. I was fortunate that they were operable and that my liver was healthy so likely to regenerate. I was very sick when I was diagnosed as my tumor had perforated and I had a massive infection. My biggest problem now is not wanting to get back on chemo because I am sick of being fatigued and all the rest that goes with chemo. And I don't want to lose my hair. But I know I have to, in case there are hidden cancer cells .

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,792 Member
    kojack007 said:

Xeloda

Please take the time to recognize what does not feel right when taking xeloda.  When I first started by the 3rd day of my first cycle I had aches and pains in my head jaw neck shoulders and chest.  It seemed to move around my body it would only last a few minutes several times a day.  When it started in my chest my oncologist told me to stop and go see my cardiologist.  He checked me out and the heart was healthy and strong.  I started again and one and a half weeks into my second cycle with out warning i collapsed at work talking to a visiitor.  I was revived by CPR and one jolt from the AED.  After the doctors checked me out and ran tests on my heart it was strong and no issues.  It seems they think the xeloda messed with the electrical signals and i had heart failure. I am very blessed to be here right now  This is the very rare side effects and I just happen to experience them.  That just happened on 12-20-17.  

So glad you survived

What an awful experience. I'm happy to hear you had good people around you, and you're here to tell the tale. 

Welcome to the forum.

Tru

• OzarkGal
    OzarkGal Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2018 #66
    abita said:

Is it possible to have a

Is it possible to have a teeth cleaning during chemotherapy? I guess I thought because of the cold water they spray and the pic you know that goes in between your teeth and sometimes causes your gums to bleed that you couldn't. 

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited February 2018 #67
    OzarkGal said:

What?

What?