Tastes Change

Options
abita
abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

I was in the hospital for 19 days while they cleared my abscess, found the tumor, removed the tumor. Most of the time I was nothing by mouth, with a couple of clear liquids only days. I have not had the desire for sweets or been able to eat sweets since. I tried an oreo when I came out of sedation for my chemo port, and it grossed me out. My other food likes are pretty much the same. Except I now really like lemonade. Just wondering if anyone else has weird taste changes.

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Common

It is very common for food tastes to change especially from surgery or treatments.  Actually mine was a desire for windmill cookies - go figure as I've not had them since a kid.   A lot of people crave hot spicy foods probably because they have lost some taste buds and desire some type of flavor.  That just killed my tongue and throat though as the treatment gave me some mouth sores - not many but enough the spicy stuff bothered it.  Some people feel that it tastes metallic or tinny too.  You will find you crave certain things you haven't before - that's ok go ahead and indulge and most importantly - ENJOY.

Kim

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my taste buds

I've noticed my taste buds have changed since chemo. I used to like asparagus now not so much. I hope my taste buds will reverse once my treatment stops. I also get cravings. I craved for ice cream a while back and now pineapples and potato chips. One would think I'm pregnant. Lol Both My surgeon and oncologist said whatever I crave for go ahead and enjoy it while on chemo. But once treatment stops I have to stick to eatping healthy. 

• SophDan2
    SophDan2 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Very similar experiece with my treatment and post treatment

The way that I have described what it was like to eat during and after my treatments ended:

It was like some one saying "open you mouth while I spray silver metalic paint into your mouth, but don't close your mouth until the paint is dry", after that have something to eat. My mouth always felt like there was a coating, which prevented me from tasting anything but a metallic taste from everything. That is where you have to use mind control when eating, as eating is so important to having your body ready to battle the chemo as it dissipates post treatment day.

I truly believe my eating very colorful and healthy meals 3 times a day was the reason that I was able to handle and come out of the treatments looking relatively healthy. It sucked not being able to taste the good looking food, but I knew it was what I needed to do for my body.

It does get better after the treatments end!

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Options
    SophDan2 said:

The way that I have described what it was like to eat during and after my treatments ended:

It was like some one saying "open you mouth while I spray silver metalic paint into your mouth, but don't close your mouth until the paint is dry", after that have something to eat. My mouth always felt like there was a coating, which prevented me from tasting anything but a metallic taste from everything. That is where you have to use mind control when eating, as eating is so important to having your body ready to battle the chemo as it dissipates post treatment day.

I truly believe my eating very colorful and healthy meals 3 times a day was the reason that I was able to handle and come out of the treatments looking relatively healthy. It sucked not being able to taste the good looking food, but I knew it was what I needed to do for my body.

I'm tempted to place an order

I'm tempted to place an order for Soylent Green.

If you're used to the variety and taste of italian food, not being able to taste it could be a real lack of pleasure.

Maybe I should try Chinese Mustard or Chili Oil with Garlic. It's hard not to taste those things.

• Lily Flower
    Options
    Mikenh said:

I'm tempted to place an order

I'm tempted to place an order for Soylent Green.

If you're used to the variety and taste of italian food, not being able to taste it could be a real lack of pleasure.

Maybe I should try Chinese Mustard or Chili Oil with Garlic. It's hard not to taste those things.

I like all kinds of food

I like all kinds of food except curry flavored. Never liked it before and especially now on chemo, it just gags me. I had a crazy craving for the Malaysian hainane chicken on Wednesday so my coworker and I went to this Malaysian restaurant and had it for lunch. I was a happy camper! 

• abita
    Options
    SophDan2 said:

DId you eat a lot of protein

DId you eat a lot of protein too? The oncology nutritionist said I need to eat lots of that. I try to get a salad in too. Also, been trying to eat a serving or two of fruit to combat my sodium intake since my blood pressure has been high when I go in for my infusions. I really feel that I will make it through, and I want to do whatever I can to help the doctors save me. 

• abita
    Options
    Two of my bosses visited

Two of my bosses visited yesterday. They brought me a lot of food from one of my favorite restaurants. I enjoyed most of the dishes, but when I tool a bite of the cauliflower, I literally spit it out. That makes me sad. I used to love cauiflower.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    abita said:

Two of my bosses visited

Two of my bosses visited yesterday. They brought me a lot of food from one of my favorite restaurants. I enjoyed most of the dishes, but when I tool a bite of the cauliflower, I literally spit it out. That makes me sad. I used to love cauiflower.

Don't worry...

you will love it again. It just takes time. 

Tru

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Latent Food Cravings

When I was going through the neoadjuvant chemo/radiation I developed a craving for Egg McMuffins covered in ketsup (never did supersize it).  Now I am in the adjuvant chemo and my new craving is for Moon Pie's.

Does this mean I am a latent junk food junkie?  Youtube that song by Ray Stevens and have good laugh.

Jim

• Lily Flower
    edited December 2017 #11
    Options
    Jim, I guess I'm a junkie too

Jim, I guess I'm a junkie too. Although I do eat healthy but I crave for junk food. Ugh!