PAUL61~WISHING YOU & YOUR WIFE A HAPPY 8TH ANNIVERSARY tomorrow & CONTINUED CANCER-FREE YEARS

Options
LorettaMarshall
LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
edited December 2017 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Hey there Paul - 

Tomorrow is a special day in your “memory bank!”  Who can forget the day we as wives sat in the family waiting room and praying that we would see our husbands again?  Cry So it goes without saying that most of the time here, we read about wives being the caregivers for their husbands.  Men are more often diagnosed with this cancer than are women.  This is one time we women don’t mind “men” getting all the credit!Wink

My husband, William, (Billy @ home) have treasured our friendship with you over the years we’ve been together on this Esophageal cancer forum.  We still remember when we first met here.  You’ve been honest to share your difficult times as well as the victories of your EC experience.  It was certainly no fun having an infection in your incisions from the “Ivor Lewis” surgery.  And then having to have “post-op” chemo even as you were recovering from the surgery.  You’ve consistently advised newbies to seek out a competent thoracic surgeon at a highly-respected hospital that excels in the treatment of Esophageal cancer.  We remember that at the time of your surgery, you were not aware that there was a much less invasive and totally-laparoscopic procedure known as the “Ivor Lewis Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy (MIE).”  We do wish that all thoracic surgeons would update their skill set to include knowing how to perform the latest and least invasive laparoscopic procedures.  We are the ones who have to recover after the surgeon exits the operating room! 

I know you're retired now, but it doesn't mean you don't "have anything better to do than read letters from folks who have cancer!"  Who would have guessed that being a “counselor on a cancer site” would have been an integral part of your life as a retiree?  It takes time to read these posts and give intelligent and dependable answers.  Your presence here has helped make this site one that can be trusted for open and honest talks about the problems we all may face along the way. 

Let’s just say you’re no longer a “newbie” but a valuable contributor to this forum.  We value all your input and well-thought-out information.  You’re an inspiration.  I’m certain that all of the EC patients have two big questions when they first learn they have been diagnosed with Esophageal cancer—that being—does this mean I am going to die and are there survivors that we can talk to?

You are a caring compassionate contributor to this site.  So we just want to wish you and your wife, A HAPPY HEALTHY 8TH CANCER-FREE ANNIVERSARY on the 3rd day of December 2017.    Truly we thank God there are survivors, so this note is just to say a special “THANK YOU PAUL” on your special day.  Go out and eat a big STEAK—just chew it slowly!  If we were in SC, we would join you and "eat" the bill!

Love & continued well wishes together with sincere prayers from your EC friends , William & Loretta.Smile

Loretta (Wife of William who was DX on Thanksgiving of 2002 @ age 65 -MIE performed by Dr. James D. Luketich @ University of Pittsburgh Med. Ctr. May 17, 2003)

P.S.  For some who may not know who you are—this is the way you sign your letters.

“Paul Adams - McCormick, South Carolina- DX 10/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009

Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009 Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU- Eight Year Survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!”

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    Thank You so much for the Well Wishes

Loretta and Bill,

Thank You so very much for the well wishes on my surgical anniversary. I remember when I first came on this site. Scared to death with all these “bad” things happening to me after surgery. You and Bill were quick to assure me that “that stuff is normal, it will get better with time”.

I was absolutely thrilled to read Bill's post. A post from a guy who was seven years past surgery and still doing well. It gave me hope that maybe I could make it seven years as well.

Well here we are over seven years later. Still hanging in there. Age has delivered some bumps along the way, you know what they say “Life after 60 is a never-ending series of compromises”; but we are still here.

Thank You so much for all the help along the way.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009
    Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009 Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Eight Year Survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!