RCC, scans, and lung nodule

Options
MFoster
MFoster Member Posts: 17

Hey everyone! I'm 35 and had my left kidney removed in July after discovery of 8.5 cm mass on it. My lymphnodes in my neck were swollen and I had a pain in my left side. Thought I had strep or had been bitten by a tick. Pathology came back stage 3 cystic clear cell renal cell carcinoma grade 1. It had grown into my perinephic tissue. I just had scans bc my lymphnodes in my neck are swelling again. No signs of cancer but I did have a 1.6 mm spot on my left lung. Doc said it's so tiny not to worry and most likely it is not rcc. Hard to do when you got a 53% five year survival rate. I go back for scans in six months now. Anyone else experience something similar? 

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Probably not as bad as you imagine

MFoster,

Not sure where you got your survival rate. Seems very low for 8.5 cm where there appears to be no evidece of spreading. As for the 1.6mm spot on your lung. Too tiny to worry about unless it grows per your doctor.  Small nodules of 2, 3 and 4 mm are common even for non club members.

Icemantoo

• MFoster
    edited December 2017 #3
    Options
    icemantoo said:

Probably not as bad as you imagine

MFoster,

Not sure where you got your survival rate. Seems very low for 8.5 cm where there appears to be no evidece of spreading. As for the 1.6mm spot on your lung. Too tiny to worry about unless it grows per your doctor.  Small nodules of 2, 3 and 4 mm are common even for non club members.

Icemantoo

I got those rates from the

I got those rates from the American Cancer Society's website. It was Stage 3. Yep, I'm not trying to worry about it. It is difficult not to worry cancer is in your body. Being that I've got a toddler, I'm just living life. Thanks! 

• lobbyist0724
    lobbyist0724 Member Posts: 515 Member
    edited December 2017 #4
    Options
    Does you pathology report

Does you pathology report stated the histogical type is  cystic clear cell renal cell carcinoma or multilocular cystic rcc? I haven't seem the term cystic clear cell renal cell carcinoma being used on pathology report. Thus, multilocular cyctic rcc has excellent prognosis no matter what the size is, has over 99% CSS. Even cytic rcc carries very good prognosis as well excluding the necrosis unilocular ones. Would you tell us more about your report.

• corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2017 #5
    Options
    Lung Nodule

I also was found to have a small nodule on my lung when I had my original CT scan prior to surgery. I was told because of the size no one was worried and they are common and if most people were randomly imaged they would have them. I'll tell you, at the beginning, that nodule scared me more than anything.

The radiologist recommended 3 years follow-up with chest CT scans to watch for changes in the nodule. I ended up having 5 years of chest and abd CT scans post surgery, and those nodules stayed the same. 

Keep up with your follow up scans and always voice your concerns to your doc. Try not to worry. Good Health!

• MFoster
    Options

Does you pathology report

Does you pathology report stated the histogical type is  cystic clear cell renal cell carcinoma or multilocular cystic rcc? I haven't seem the term cystic clear cell renal cell carcinoma being used on pathology report. Thus, multilocular cyctic rcc has excellent prognosis no matter what the size is, has over 99% CSS. Even cytic rcc carries very good prognosis as well excluding the necrosis unilocular ones. Would you tell us more about your report.

It just states cystic clear

It just states cystic clear cell renal cell carcinoma. 

• MFoster
    Options
    corey50 said:

Lung Nodule

I also was found to have a small nodule on my lung when I had my original CT scan prior to surgery. I was told because of the size no one was worried and they are common and if most people were randomly imaged they would have them. I'll tell you, at the beginning, that nodule scared me more than anything.

The radiologist recommended 3 years follow-up with chest CT scans to watch for changes in the nodule. I ended up having 5 years of chest and abd CT scans post surgery, and those nodules stayed the same. 

Keep up with your follow up scans and always voice your concerns to your doc. Try not to worry. Good Health!

Thank you! So encouraging to

Thank you! So encouraging to know. It seems the more I read the more recurrence happens eventually.