Lasting effect of HBOT?

Options

I was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma at base of tongue (left) and had a left radical neck dissection followed by 20 days of radiation in 1997. In 2010 prior to a tooth extraction I underwent 20 dives of HBOT, surgery for the extraction and debridement of osteoradionecrosis site followed by 10 more dives.

I now need tooth extractions due to abscesses and wonder if I need more HBOT? My maxillofacial surgeon says no and that jaw retains 85% of blood supply. How do I verify that.

Comments

• Fireman
    Fireman Member Posts: 39
    Options
    HBOT

Hello

I would get another opinion and include the doctor that performs HBOT to get their opinion also. I had a tooth extraction 7 years post radiation for an abcess in my molar on the radiated side and it has been the worst experience of my life. Cancer treatment were nothing compared to the osteoradionecrosis I developed after the tooth extraction. The last 2 years of my life have been hell with incapacitating pain that meds wouldn't touch. I just sat and cried a lot. HBOT after the fact I can't say really helped much. Time patience, antibiotics, and good oral hygiene would be my best allies. Going into my third year of this torture I can finally see tissue covering the exposed bone and my symptoms and pain are starting to subside. I consider myself a tough guy with a very high pain tolerance but this one got me. I didn't take pain meds because they made me feel loopy but I still felt the pain so I actually felt worse. Get all the information you need before going into this. As you know the healing process and the vascular compromise from the radiation leaves you vulnerable to getting osteoradionecrosis. Read up on this disease and have him reassure you that you are not a candidate to get it. A small percent do and I was in that percentile due to a tooth extraction post radiation by and uneducated dentist in regards to radiated patients. I wish you well and had I been as diligent as you are being now, I would have never allowed this to happen to myself without doing more research.