hand assisted radical laproscopic nephrectomy

Hello Im scheduled for surgery tomorrow. my kidney mass is 4.7 cm and im scheduled for a hand assisted laproscopic nephrectomy. i just wanted to know if anybody was torn between this approach and a robotic partial. Ive seen two surgeons and they have slightly different opinions. According to my ct scan my mass is centrally located, but on the mri it suggests its location is in the lower pole of the kidney. I realize it would be a difficult surgery  for a partial but i'm having cold feet about my decision. i have a couple of surgeons that were recommended for robotic partial because they have performed many of them. I guess the research seems to indicate partials have a better long term outcome has me worried. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    There is no 1 right or wrong answer

Brandon,

In my day 15 years ago there were no partials. I had the same surgery as you. You will be fine. 4.7 cm is on the high side of partials anyway. Actually from  what I have read the chance for recurrance is less with a full neph. A partial can reduce kidney function loss where it can be done. It is not unusual to have surgeons apprach things differently.

Icemantoo

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    On Nov 7th I had surgery. It

On Nov 7th I had surgery. It was a planned partial but they ended up taking the whole kidney. Try and trust that they know what is best for you once they are in there. Best of luck to you!!!!!

• Rockspin
    Rockspin Member Posts: 77
    I had laparoscopic total

I had laparoscopic total nephromecty in September. I had 3.5 cm tumor on my right kidney removed. I'm almost back to normal just my midsection is still a little painful but I have my energy back.  Good luck and please let us know how you are.