PTH labs and blood pressure

Options
jazzgirl
jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member
edited November 2017 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi Everyone,

I have an appointment with my nephrologist Thursday.  Blood pressure has been rising in the past few months – she had been watching it since surgery 08/27/2016 (open partial nephrectomy on my solitary kidney) and it was doing all right but now is hitting 150s and 160s over 90s and 100s at times– yet other days just fine.  I'm not on any meds at this time. 

I've been really careful about potassium, phosphorus, and sodium in my diet.  Labs a week ago showed those were all ok, but that PTH is 101.5 pg/ml.  It has gone from

78.9 (10/27/16) to

52.5 (01/27/17) to

101.5 last week. 

I get confused reading about PTH – seems related to calcium and I think that when calcium levels are low, the parathyroid glands increase PTH production.  I'm wondering if I've been too cautious about potassium that it has affected my calcium (went to almond milk instead of regular, stopped eating yogurt, etc).  Although calcium seems fine at 9.2 mg/dL.  EGFR is 47, slowly rising since surgery.

I think I'm mostly asking about anyone's experience with high PTH, and the blood pressure roller coaster.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• jazzgirl
    edited November 2017 #2
    Options
    Sitting in the doc’s office

Waiting to see what she says...

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I hope everything went well

I hope everything went well for you and that you got the answers you needed!!!!

• jazzgirl
    Options
    Feeling resigned but ok

Thanks Anissa - pretty much what I expected. She put me on med for blood pressure and another for the parathyroid. We’ll see how it goes.  I might be able to go back off the bp med in the future if I lose some more weight - there’s some incentive! Really glad there’s no indication of tumor or other problem with parathyroid.  Labs just running a bit high.

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    edited November 2017 #5
    Options
    Whew!!! Glad everything else

Whew!!! Glad everything else is good. Sorry you have to take new meds, but hopefully it will only be temporary!!!!