Nausea getting worse with chemo....

vtspa6
vtspa6 Member Posts: 172

My husband's nausea is getting worse with chemo.  He takes Ondansetron 8mg 3 x a day.  It starts the day of treatment and gets worse disconnect day and continues at least 2 days later.  He has this aluminum taste. I am concerned because he has been loosing weight for months now.  Does anyone know if there is another medication that would be better?  And is there a special diet that he could eat while this is going on?  He just finished his 57th treatment. 

Comments

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    edited November 2017 #2
    My husband takes

that as well it's Zofran, they also give him compazine but he has not taken any yet. Maybe see if they can add that for him?

• Nazareth
    Nazareth Member Posts: 88 Member
    I have Crohn's disease- and

I have Crohn's disease- and when it flares- i lose weight terribly fast- and get nauseus and can't eat much- one hting my mom used to make for me to help during times liek that when i was a child was things like rice pudding with lots of sugar- which tasted good as a child- and custard which is loaded with eggs which are good for you and hlep to gain a bit of weight- Also get carnation drinks or soemthign similar- and make sure he drinks lots of fluids and electrolytes too- Carnation drinks help get vitimins andm inerals into body easily- and is usually well tolorated when sick- Maybe get soem Ensure drinks too- I'll be goign on chemo here in a few days- soem pretty rugged ones- and I'm expecting to face what your husband is- and expect I'll be unable to cope with much food too- so it will be thigns liek that that will help maintain soem weight, plus be good nutrition.

My doc gave me compazine and zofran to be taken together when i was on just the 5-FU- they did help pretty well- but not sure how good they will work with the double chemo drugs I'll be gettign soon- Try ginger tea too to help soothe- I think ginger is recommended for peopel taking chemo

[[There is evidence that when taken with standard anti-nausea medications, ginger may be helpful in further reducing or eliminating nausea and vomiting during and after chemotherapy treatments.]]

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/ginger-for-nausea/FAQ-20057891

(I hope links are ok on this site?)

• vtspa6
    Thanks for the info!  We will

Thanks for the info!  We will ask for the compazine to be included.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited November 2017 #5
    Sorry

Sorry that he is not feeling well.  I'm sure that something else can be given to him as there are many remedies and not all work for each so tell your doctor of your concerns.  A lot of people lose weight while on treatment as myself.  If he gets to a weight of major concern your doctor should address this issue - you shouldn't be bringing it up.  If they don't seem concerned then get a second opinion.  Wishing your husband well and hope he gets on something to make him feel better soon.

Kim

• OzarkGal
    OzarkGal Member Posts: 41
    Also Having Nausea

I am having issues with nausea and metallic tastes after 9 rounds of chemo.  I didn't really have a problem with this earlier in treatment.  I have Zofran to take as needed.  I find that hot tea helps.  I have trouble drinking plain water because of metallic taste and find that water with natural flavoring added is easier to drink.  Doctor said that very important to eat protein (chicken, protein drinks, etc.) because body needs to replace normal cells killed by chemo.  Eat small meals more frequently in lieu of big meals.

• Phoenix_66
    Phoenix_66 Member Posts: 118
    Only One Worked for Me

I experienced a lot of nausea with my treatments and most of what was prescribed for me did not work.  The only anti-nausea medicine that worked for me was Emend.  It is a preventative medication taken before, during, and after treatment.

• bobby66
    bobby66 Member Posts: 69
    hi,

hi,

i get the lemon drops and helps me with the metalic taste and also gum. hope it helps

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited November 2017 #9
    CINV

Most recent that I've come across

www.oncnursingnews.com/web-exclusive/fda-approves-aprepitant-to-treat-chemotherapyinduced-nausea-and-vomiting

• ReeRee2
    ReeRee2 Member Posts: 39
    Nazareth said:

I have Crohn's disease- and

I have Crohn's disease- and when it flares- i lose weight terribly fast- and get nauseus and can't eat much- one hting my mom used to make for me to help during times liek that when i was a child was things like rice pudding with lots of sugar- which tasted good as a child- and custard which is loaded with eggs which are good for you and hlep to gain a bit of weight- Also get carnation drinks or soemthign similar- and make sure he drinks lots of fluids and electrolytes too- Carnation drinks help get vitimins andm inerals into body easily- and is usually well tolorated when sick- Maybe get soem Ensure drinks too- I'll be goign on chemo here in a few days- soem pretty rugged ones- and I'm expecting to face what your husband is- and expect I'll be unable to cope with much food too- so it will be thigns liek that that will help maintain soem weight, plus be good nutrition.

My doc gave me compazine and zofran to be taken together when i was on just the 5-FU- they did help pretty well- but not sure how good they will work with the double chemo drugs I'll be gettign soon- Try ginger tea too to help soothe- I think ginger is recommended for peopel taking chemo

[[There is evidence that when taken with standard anti-nausea medications, ginger may be helpful in further reducing or eliminating nausea and vomiting during and after chemotherapy treatments.]]

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/ginger-for-nausea/FAQ-20057891

(I hope links are ok on this site?)

Ginger

i keep ginger snaps on hand to eat during my nausea time and ginger ale.

• zx10guy
    zx10guy Member Posts: 273 Member
    Have you communicated this to

Have you communicated this to his oncologist?  If not, you need to.  His doctor needs to know about this as he/she can adjust the premeds and change his at home nausea medicines.  I did this when I was going through chemo and my nausea meds were adjusted until I had relief.  The premeds we moved to were Emend and Ativan.  The at home meds were Zolfran and Compazine.  For me the key was to start the at home nause meds BEFORE getting chemo treatment.  I don't remember if I started the night, day before, or the morning of the chemo treatment.  But I worked it out where I got the timing down before starting treatment.  The nausea was much better through treatment and I recovered more quickly.  After disconnection, it would be about 3 days before I started to feel ok to do things.  When I started taking the at home nausea meds before treatment, my recovery time was only a day after disconnection.

The key is to get ahead of the nausea.  When you start feeling nauseous and start the medication at home, it's already too late.

• vtspa6
    Great suggestions!  Will be

Great suggestions!  Will be bringing these up with his next chemo.  Thanks again for the advice.  Does anyone know why you get the metalic taste?

• zx10guy
    zx10guy Member Posts: 273 Member
    The only metallic type taste

The only metallic type taste I would get was when I had my port flushed with saline.  I actually started to get nauseous when the nurses did this.  I did get a change in taste with things I normally eat.  The only thing that didn't taste weird to me was seafood; especially Sushi.  Sushi helped me get through chemo and it was a good thing because I didn't get sick of it and was able to eat quite a bit.  My sense of taste returned some what after I was disconnected but of course by the time that happened I was staring at another round.