Appetite Changes

Options
AnnissaP
AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member

Hi all! Did anyone have a change in appetite since having a full nephrectomy? I am 2.5 wks out and still have nausea at times. I also cannot eat as much as I used to and can only seem to handle light foods most of the time (soup etc.). I know things take time and I am no longer in a hurry lol. I see now why my dr signed me off work for 6 wks. Healing is a slow process and although my mind wants to do things I still need to take it easy. Thanks!!!

Comments

• MelBlessed
    MelBlessed Member Posts: 71 Member
    Options
     3 months since my

3 months since my nephrectomy and appetite is coming back slowly, lost about 30lb. Still have some days with nausea.  But definitely getting better! Just give yourself more time And take care! I also took  the full 6 weeks off, I needed it and dont regret it!

• AnnissaP
    edited November 2017 #3
    Options

3 months since my

3 months since my nephrectomy and appetite is coming back slowly, lost about 30lb. Still have some days with nausea.  But definitely getting better! Just give yourself more time And take care! I also took  the full 6 weeks off, I needed it and dont regret it!

MelBlessed

Ok so this is normal!! I barely do anything and I end up in pain. Nausea is a daily thing. Take care!!

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Organ shift around after a full neph

I seem to recall my husband being told things shift around slightly after a neph so it makes sense to have less of an appetite while all the organs find new spots. Hope that makes sense 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    Had just about zero appetite

Had just about zero appetite for quite a while. I forced myself to eat soup and crackers, soft boiled eggs, toast, light things. I don't remember when it started coming back to normal but it was a while.

• randyradiohill
    randyradiohill Member Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't eat near as much

I don't eat near as much as I used to since my surgery.  Part of it is I have changed my outlook on eating since my cancer diagnosis.  I never ate a lot of junk, but I have completely quit the sugars, processed food and have eaten very little meat.  I'm doing heavy juicing so that gives me great nutrition and energy and my stomach has shrunk.  I'm still feeling effect of the surgery (October 19th).  Yesterday, I was so exhausted and light-headed I had to sit down several times during the day.  It felt like the after affects of the anesthsia again.  Today I feel fine again.  Things just seem to take weeks and months to work themselves thru.

• Angiebby75
    Angiebby75 Member Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am having the same

Yes, I am having the same issues. I also seem to get full very quickly after a small meal. I get bloated feeling like i over ate when i try to bigger meals.

• medic1971
    medic1971 Member Posts: 225 Member
    edited November 2017 #8
    Options
    I too lost weight

I only had a partial nephrectomy, done robotically, and I lost about 20 pounds after surgery.  I went from 220 pounds down to 199 and I am 6’3” so that was a significant loss.     My overall appetite was shot for about 10 weeks.  I wish I had kept it off, but nope I picked right back up… 

Take the 6 weeks off if you can and let yourself heal.   

• AnnissaP
    edited November 2017 #9
    Options

I don't eat near as much

I don't eat near as much as I used to since my surgery.  Part of it is I have changed my outlook on eating since my cancer diagnosis.  I never ate a lot of junk, but I have completely quit the sugars, processed food and have eaten very little meat.  I'm doing heavy juicing so that gives me great nutrition and energy and my stomach has shrunk.  I'm still feeling effect of the surgery (October 19th).  Yesterday, I was so exhausted and light-headed I had to sit down several times during the day.  It felt like the after affects of the anesthsia again.  Today I feel fine again.  Things just seem to take weeks and months to work themselves thru.

randyradiohill

I am almost 3 weeks past now and I too get that lightheadedness. It is awful!!!!! 

• AnnissaP
    Options
    Everything you guys said

Everything you guys said makes sense. I also wonder if swelling has anything to do with nausea. If I am up too much my stomach swells. Maybe it is pressing on my stomach. All I know is that this is taking longer than I expected. Wow! I think I might stay off work until the new year. One day I feel good then do too much and end up in bed like I did today! And by doing too much all I mean is walking!!!

• kiwi68
    kiwi68 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Turned the corner

Annisa, whilst my appetitie hasn't been affected I have had some killer heartburn (I do have a hiatus hernia).  I just wanted to say I have had some good days and bad days since operation 2.5 weeks and certainly when I lay down and rolled over I felt like everything was sliding around and it was painful.  Even up to 1 night ago.  I guess swelling internally, not sure if it was organs/stiching/muscles.    However after a horrible day on Saturday, I went to bed early, had long day including two 2.5 hour car journeys and lots of gentle physical activity I have woken up and feel fantastic.  Have completed a full day and I just feel like my old self.  It is quite astounding the change.  Hope you turn the corner soon Annissa.