Possible EC

Options

Hi Everyone. I joined this board after following it for some time, maybe you all can help me. 

I've been having difficulty getting food to go down. It feels as though it gets stuck near the very top part of my throat near nasal passage. I have lost 6lbs in 7 days due to not being able to eat, however, I am so hungry. I seen an ENT doc who performed a nasal scope to view my nasal and back of throat as I have been having lost nasal drip, sinus issues and he found there is a lot of inflammation going on. I am so worried I have EC as difficulty swallowing is a for sure symptom of EC. I do have an endoscopy scheduled but not until next week, not sure how I'm going to survive not eating that long. I can drink water that's about it. Any ideas, comments, ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    edited November 2017 #2
    Options
    Hello Sarabear

Hello Sarabear,

Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) is the most common symptom of EC.  It's what led me to get checked out and then diagnosed.  However, there are numerous other causes as well.  I'm hoping your problem comes from one of those.  If you're unable to get down solids, try to maximaze what you get out of liquids.  Juice will have calories.  Milk will have calories & protein.  Perhaps you could get down things like ensure or boost.  Hopefully, there's no cancer and you can just get your esophagus stretched.  

Best to you,

Ed

• Summer Raye
    Summer Raye Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello Sarabear

Hello Sarabear,

Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) is the most common symptom of EC.  It's what led me to get checked out and then diagnosed.  However, there are numerous other causes as well.  I'm hoping your problem comes from one of those.  If you're unable to get down solids, try to maximaze what you get out of liquids.  Juice will have calories.  Milk will have calories & protein.  Perhaps you could get down things like ensure or boost.  Hopefully, there's no cancer and you can just get your esophagus stretched.  

Best to you,

Ed

Ed I'm in this same situation

Ed I'm in this same situation as the poster, did you have other symptoms on top of food stuck?

• Mtngirl7533
    Mtngirl7533 Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2017 #4
    Options
    Dysphagia

Sarabear, difficulty swallowing food was my husbands chief complaint when he was diagnosed with Adenocarcimoma, Esophageal Cancer T3N2M0. As Ed mentioned it could be many things! An endoscopy with biopsy should give you a definitive diagnosis! Try not to worry although I know it’s hard to do! I make smoothies for my husband! Healthy smoothies and add protein powder! It is full of vital nutrients! A human can live 3-4 wks or more without food but only 3-4 days without water, so keep hydrated! The smoothies will also help with that! Praying you have the best possible outcome!