Questions.

Options
dominickbritt
dominickbritt Member Posts: 5
edited November 2017 in Kidney Cancer #1

Edited to add measurements

Hello everyone. I am looking for a few answers. I haven't been diagnosed and my appointment isn't for a couple more weeks. 

Back in August I had stomach issues and had to have my gallbladder removed (admitted through e.r. and surgery the next day) Everything went well, due to family complications, I wasn't able to go back for my 2 week post op check up. 

While going through billing info on my online chart, something caught my eye. I had an ultrasound and a ct scan on the day I had my gall bladder removed and the results mention spots in right kidney and I have no idea what this is. 

These are from the ct scan

There is a 2 mm nonobstructing calculus in the left kidney. There is a 2 mm nonobstructing calculus in the right kidney. Indeterminate exophytic nodule of the anterior right kidney with density of 21 HU.

Indeterminate exophytic nodule of the right kidney should be evaluated with multi phase postcontrast CT. The ultrasound was indeterminate.

From the ultrasound

Lower pole hypoechoic mass in the right kidney favoring a non simple cyst. Pre and postcontrast CT of the abdomen recommended for indeterminate sonographic features.

Single right renal cyst measuring 2.9 cm with internal echoes and no acoustic enhancement.

I don't know what these means??

Comments

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Hi

The Good news is the Gallbladder may have helped to  send you safely into old age

The calculus sound like small kidney stones

I am confused by the nodule info... You must have a measurement for that

Annie

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Probably nothing

dom,

2mm is about 1/10th the size of a small tumor. The doctor will probably say it is nothing or follow up with another scan down the road. As a layman take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Icemantoo

• dominickbritt
    Options

Hi

The Good news is the Gallbladder may have helped to  send you safely into old age

The calculus sound like small kidney stones

I am confused by the nodule info... You must have a measurement for that

Annie

I do, I just didn't think to

I do, I just didn't think to put it in there, the nodule is 2.9 cm on the right kidney. 

• dominickbritt
    Options
    icemantoo said:

Probably nothing

dom,

2mm is about 1/10th the size of a small tumor. The doctor will probably say it is nothing or follow up with another scan down the road. As a layman take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Icemantoo

I think the 2 mm is acutally

I think the 2 mm is acutally kidney stones, which I already knew I had. (Have passed several...not fun) 

The "mass" that concerns me is acutally 2.9 cm and honestly didn't think to put that in my original post. 

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Now that you have added 2.9 cm

dom,

The doctor should be able to add some insight after looking at the report AND disk of the CT. Sill small and caught early if it turns out to ba a concern.

Icemantoo

• Wehavenotimeatall
    Wehavenotimeatall Member Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Good News

Indeterminate exophytic nodule of the anterior right kidne

It sounds similar to my mass location wise but mine was bigger at 4.4 cm ExophytIc means it is growning out of the Kidney and not inwards towards the main veins which s again also good news

The chance of any spread for such s small mass is very very low although granted it may have grown a little since August

but the bad news is unfortunately it has a high chance that it is renal cancer but will be easily treatable

Iceman has his removed 14 years ago   right about the time Da VincI was alive

have no knowledge of the USA health system but find it strange this was never red flagged to you

Ask if you can have the da Vinci if surgeon recommends a partial nephrectomy

Good Luck   wonderful people always here ready to help in your hour of need

Annie

• dominickbritt
    Options
    Thank you

Thank you for all your replies. I'm very nervous about going to the dr and I currently don't have insurance, so am scared about all of this and the costs. 

My husband thinks I'm crazy for being worried about what he believes is just a cyst or something and doesn't seem concerned. 

Thank you for just, well, making me feel less crazy for being worried lol. 

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am glad you came here to

I am glad you came here to find some information and guidance. Good for you being an advocate of your health. 

You may want to consult a Urologist, familiar with Renal Cancer and ask them what this report means. Now I understand its tricky since you don't have insurance. Do you still have a primary doctor? I can correspond with mine via My chart. You could mention the issue with no insurance and ask if she or a urologist could read the report/scan and give their recommendation. Also be sure to ask any doctor what their policiy is for cash payments when there is no insurance. 

FYI: ACA is open for enrollment till Dec 15th. This law still has subsidies to help those with low income. You also may want to ask the hospital that would do your recommended CT if they have any help with how to pay for it. 

Know that Cysts are not uncommon. It is recommended, as I have learned that biopsies are not recommended either. Again, its best to consult with an Urologist trained in treating Renal Cancers. 

Now one thing you can do is save your energy for LIVING your LIFE, rather than worrying about things that may not be an issue. I know, I know, easier said than done. 

We're here for you so please come back and let us know how you are doing and what you have learned.

Sending you CALM, SERENITY and HOPE

Hugs, Jan

• dominickbritt
    edited November 2017 #10
    Options
    Jan4you said:

I am glad you came here to

I am glad you came here to find some information and guidance. Good for you being an advocate of your health. 

You may want to consult a Urologist, familiar with Renal Cancer and ask them what this report means. Now I understand its tricky since you don't have insurance. Do you still have a primary doctor? I can correspond with mine via My chart. You could mention the issue with no insurance and ask if she or a urologist could read the report/scan and give their recommendation. Also be sure to ask any doctor what their policiy is for cash payments when there is no insurance. 

FYI: ACA is open for enrollment till Dec 15th. This law still has subsidies to help those with low income. You also may want to ask the hospital that would do your recommended CT if they have any help with how to pay for it. 

Know that Cysts are not uncommon. It is recommended, as I have learned that biopsies are not recommended either. Again, its best to consult with an Urologist trained in treating Renal Cancers. 

Now one thing you can do is save your energy for LIVING your LIFE, rather than worrying about things that may not be an issue. I know, I know, easier said than done. 

We're here for you so please come back and let us know how you are doing and what you have learned.

Sending you CALM, SERENITY and HOPE

Hugs, Jan

thanks

Thank you very much for your reply. I don't have a dr at the moment but have an appointment scheduled with a np with a sliding fee. I'm not sure how exactly they work with getting tests done and what my next step is, but my appointment is in a few weeks, and I'm kind of prone to cysts on the skin (so hopefully that's all this is!) and unfortunatly I don't qualify for the extra help through the market place. I certainly do appreciate your information.

It's certainly easier said than done lol, I'm a natural worrier (about EVERYTHING) and have an anxiety problem lol. But I rest my faith in my Lord and I know all will be ok.

Thanks once again!!

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is just a cyst

Most likely it is just a cyst but since the CT scan recommended an evaluation of it I really hope you find the means and ways to do it. Please discuss your insurance/cost concerns with the NP and ask if there's a way to follow this up. All the very best to you!

• Kat23502
    Kat23502 Member Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The low HU mean it is likely

The low HU mean it is likely a cyst. 40-70 is usually the range of RCC. That being said, you need a contrast CT specifically for evaluation of renal mass because it is quite a different scan and process. There are subtypes of RCC that appear cystic and are enhanced on contrast CT. So, in short, don’t panic but definitely get the other scan/follow-up.