FDG Avid nodular Lesion is Seen in left cervical region closely abutting hyoid bone

Options

Hello There, 

My Father is sufferring with serious headache and a tumor type in neck. He had gone through a cancer operation of mouth in july 2016, could it be the side effects of cancer again ?? I AM PUTTING THE LATEST PET/CT SCAN REPORT BELOW  please explain me the actual disease my father is suffering from ? 

Brain:

No focal abnormally increased FDG concentration seen in bilateral cerebral or cerebellar hemispheres.

Note: If there is strong suspicion for brain metastasis then MRI is suggested for further evaluation as smaller lesion may not be detected on FDG PET CT.

Head & Neck:

Non-FDG avid mucosal thickening is seen along left maxillary antrum – likely inflammatory.

Rest of the paranasal sinuses appear well pneumatised with no evidence of any mucosal thickening.

Nasopharynx and oropharynx appear unremarkable.

Bilateral parapharyngeal, masticator and parotid spaces appear unremarkable.

Preexisting focal ill-defined lesion involving tip of oral tongue in left paramedian plane along dorsal aspect is no longer seen. Post-operative changes are seen along left cervical region with nonvisualization of ipsilateral submandibular gland and sternocleidomastoid.

Focal mildly enhancing and FDG avid nodular lesion is seen in left cervical region closely abutting hyoid bone (1.2 x 1.0 cm, SUV max: 3.18) - ? a lymph node.

Base of tongue, bilateral tonsillar fossae and floor of mouth appear normal with physiological FDG uptake.

Epiglottis, valleculae, aryepiglottic folds and pyriform fossae show no abnormality. Median and bilateral glossoepiglottic folds also appear unremarkable.

Glottis including true and false vocal cords, anterior commissure and subglottic air space as well as region of hypopharynx do not show any apparent abnormality with increased FDG uptake.

Thyroid and other neck structures appear unremarkable with physiological FDG uptake.

IMPRESSION:

AS COMPARED TO PREVIOUS PET-CT SCAN DONE ON 01 JULY 2016,

·        PREEXISTING FOCAL ILL-DEFINED LESION INVOLVING TIP OF ORAL TONGUE IN LEFT PARAMEDIAN PLANE ALONG DORSAL ASPECT IS NO LONGER SEEN – POST SURGERY

STATUS.

·        HOWEVER THERE IS NEW DEVELOPMENT OF A FOCAL MILDLY ENHANCING AND FDG AVID NODULAR LESION IN LEFT CERVICAL REGION CLOSELY ABUTTING HYOID BONE POSSIBLY A LYMPH NODE. SUGGESTED CLINICO-PATHOLOGICAL CORRELATION.