4 yrs. out and 1st PSA rise

I apologize if I'm doing this wrong, this is my first discussion board or chat room, yes, believe it. 

Had RP by DaVinci method in March, 2014. Gleason of 7(4+3), involved whole left side, 3 at 100%, 2 at 90% and 1 at 30%. Did the radiation and 2 yrs. of hormone therapy. Been surviving at PSA's of <.01 for 2 yrs. testing at 6 mo. intervals, then Sept. 2017 test was at .84. Do I have a cause to be concerned or just overreacting?

Comments

• Will Doran
    Will Doran Member Posts: 207 Member
    Same path for me.

diggerdon,

I have been through the same path as you.  I was diagnosed in Aug 2013 with a PSA of 69.  Gleason 7 (3+4).  I had no symptoms prior.  Had RP Dec, 2013.  Two years of Lupron, and 40+ radiation treatments to prostate cavity.  I had one very small spot in one lymph node.  It was so small that it hadn't shown up in my MRI's.  My post surgery pathology had me as a Stage pT3bN1.  Just short of stage 4.  I had 40% involvment of the prostste.  My PSA dropped to 0.2 shortly after surgery, then while on the Lupron and radiation, it dropped to <0.010.  It stayed there for three years.  It has slowy come up a little; but still remains below 0.2.  It is now at 0.145.  We do PSA tests every 4 months and are watching the rate of rise.  The last test showed the rate of rise has come down to half of what it was the time before.  My Urologist, My Chemo Oncologist and my Radiation Oncology people are pleased with were we are at this point.  However, if the PSA continues to rise, we are going to have to go back on Hormone Treatment of some sort.  It's a keep watching things and keep testing in my case. 

Keep up with all your appointments and testing.    That would be my advice.  I'm not a doctor, but am only able to tell you what my doctors are telling me.  They seem to think, in my case as long as I stay below 2.0 PSA we dont' need to do treatments.  However that worries me, when I see that 0.2 is listed as the number that is wanted.  

If you aren't confident in your doctors seek other advice from other doctors.  As my doctors have told me over and over.  You are never cured.  We try to control the cancer.  They keep it real as to how thsi works.  However this last set of appointments, they were even more postitive.  They are thinking the PSA will settle down and back off some. That is our hope.  I'm 71 years old and they are talking treatment options for 10 - 15 years down the road.  But who knows what will happen.  It's a constant worry and gamble.

Best of Luck

Love, Peace and God Bless

Will

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 980 Member
    More time & test?

Hi,

It seems to me you need a few more points on the graph before you chart a trend line.  A few more tests to get an idea of your PSA number(up or down) would tell you what's going on & if you need further treatment.  Keep an eye on it and see which way it goes(hopefully down).

Dave 3+4

• diggerdon
    diggerdon Member Posts: 12

Same path for me.

diggerdon,

I have been through the same path as you.  I was diagnosed in Aug 2013 with a PSA of 69.  Gleason 7 (3+4).  I had no symptoms prior.  Had RP Dec, 2013.  Two years of Lupron, and 40+ radiation treatments to prostate cavity.  I had one very small spot in one lymph node.  It was so small that it hadn't shown up in my MRI's.  My post surgery pathology had me as a Stage pT3bN1.  Just short of stage 4.  I had 40% involvment of the prostste.  My PSA dropped to 0.2 shortly after surgery, then while on the Lupron and radiation, it dropped to <0.010.  It stayed there for three years.  It has slowy come up a little; but still remains below 0.2.  It is now at 0.145.  We do PSA tests every 4 months and are watching the rate of rise.  The last test showed the rate of rise has come down to half of what it was the time before.  My Urologist, My Chemo Oncologist and my Radiation Oncology people are pleased with were we are at this point.  However, if the PSA continues to rise, we are going to have to go back on Hormone Treatment of some sort.  It's a keep watching things and keep testing in my case. 

Keep up with all your appointments and testing.    That would be my advice.  I'm not a doctor, but am only able to tell you what my doctors are telling me.  They seem to think, in my case as long as I stay below 2.0 PSA we dont' need to do treatments.  However that worries me, when I see that 0.2 is listed as the number that is wanted.  

If you aren't confident in your doctors seek other advice from other doctors.  As my doctors have told me over and over.  You are never cured.  We try to control the cancer.  They keep it real as to how thsi works.  However this last set of appointments, they were even more postitive.  They are thinking the PSA will settle down and back off some. That is our hope.  I'm 71 years old and they are talking treatment options for 10 - 15 years down the road.  But who knows what will happen.  It's a constant worry and gamble.

Best of Luck

Love, Peace and God Bless

Will

thanks for your reply

Thanks Will for your answer, it gives me sense of where I'm at, which is much more than my urologist gave me. I live in a sparsely populated area and our town only has one urologist serving our county. Had a Sept. appt. nurse called next day with results but I found out Doc had left town for a 3 wk. vacation. Contacted him on his return, told me 'not to sweat it' until we do another test, which is scheduled for Dec. 12. I'm OK with whatever news I am given and will face it head-on but in times like this the 'not knowing' and not having a chance of asking questions is when I worry. Your note really did help a lot. At least I know some numbers to go by. Don't really like the idea of going back to hormones, wife teased me terrible when I would have hot flashes, they got severe at times, would almost rather have shock treatments instead. Thanks again, Digger Don

• diggerdon
    diggerdon Member Posts: 12

More time & test?

Hi,

It seems to me you need a few more points on the graph before you chart a trend line.  A few more tests to get an idea of your PSA number(up or down) would tell you what's going on & if you need further treatment.  Keep an eye on it and see which way it goes(hopefully down).

Dave 3+4

thanks for reply

Thanks for your reply. Next test on Dec. 12. My main concern was the dramatic increase in 6 mos. time. Dr. offered no explainations or info, just told me 'don't sweat it' until my next test. Patience is a virtue but its one I missed.

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,285 Member
    Yes

Repeat the test(s). Mistakes do happen.