Opting for Cap/Ox/Avastin adjuvant chemo. Any experience?

2»

Comments

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    lizard44 said:

Beth, the FOLFOX

that Jim mentioned is a combination that includes oxaliplatin: FOL= Folinic Acid; F=Fluorouracil; OX=Oxaliplatin

Thanks

For clarifying.  I should have realized.  Getting my official education next Wednesday.  Really nervous about this stuff, but gotta try it.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Thanks

For clarifying.  I should have realized.  Getting my official education next Wednesday.  Really nervous about this stuff, but gotta try it.

Continued education

It never ends, and it shouldn't.  I'm still learing stuff, and I'm five years out. 

FOLFOX can be very harsh. I will warn you. FOLFOX can be a walk in the park, or so they tell me. You won't know how your body is going to handle it until you are in it.

One thing I wish I had done differently is I wish I had pushed myself to stay a little more active at the beginning. The fatigue hit after the first infusion, and I gave in to it, by sitting on the couch. I wish I had pushed at the beginning, as the fatigue only got worse. I think (therefore I don't know) that it may not have been quite so bad, if I had pushed, just a bit more, at the beginning. 

I do have a list, if you are interested, of my own personal side effects. You may have seen me post it, here and there. Its not pretty, and most people don't suffer so, but it could be helpful, at least to give you an idea what to look out for.  

You were a champ throughout the surgery and recovery, and I have no fears that you will be a champ through your chemo. And of course, you know we're all here to route for you and help you at any time. 

Tru

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    edited November 2017 #24

Thanks

You've been through this a

You've been through this a few times already though. I'd guess that you were nervous before chemo and radiation, then before surgery. So this it the next thing. I'll be anxious about it too but I've seen so many people go through it despite knowing about the problems that the numbers of others make it a little easier for me to go through it as well.

• BRHMichigan
    Mikenh said:

You've been through this a

You've been through this a few times already though. I'd guess that you were nervous before chemo and radiation, then before surgery. So this it the next thing. I'll be anxious about it too but I've seen so many people go through it despite knowing about the problems that the numbers of others make it a little easier for me to go through it as well.

Thanks, Tru & Mike

You are so right that I've endured a lot already.  It's just that I am finally starting to feel like myself and....here we go again.  I appreciate the encouragement to remain active.  I will be going back to work (from home most days), driving to infusions, trying to keep up with my family's needs.  That will hopefully keep my mind more positive.  

Deep breath.  I can do this.  

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Welcome Frankie

I can't help you with the Avastin question, having been on the FOLFOX/5FU cocktail, but I do want to welcome you here, and wish you all the best as you face this new trial. 

Brain mets are not common, and must be terribly frightening. 

Someone will be along to help you with your questoin, soon. 

Tru

• Frankie Java
    Frankie Java Member Posts: 3
    Trubrit said:

Welcome Frankie

I can't help you with the Avastin question, having been on the FOLFOX/5FU cocktail, but I do want to welcome you here, and wish you all the best as you face this new trial. 

Brain mets are not common, and must be terribly frightening. 

Someone will be along to help you with your questoin, soon. 

Tru

thanks

Appreciate that, Tru. 

Brain deal wasn't that bad, very little pain. Three weeks after surgery  I was playing basketball.

• Frankie Java
    Frankie Java Member Posts: 3
    Avastin reaction

I'm having an Avastin infusion tomorrow morning, before starting first Xeloda treatment after evening meal. My question is prosaic, but practical: can anyone report what I might expect from this first Avastin infusion? I have an appt with a neurosurgeon (my stage 4 colon cancer moved into brain in July, necessitating a craniotomy) three hours later and I"m wondering whether they'll be any issues with me driving. Thanks.

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    edited November 2017 #29

thanks

Appreciate that, Tru. 

Brain deal wasn't that bad, very little pain. Three weeks after surgery  I was playing basketball.

I don't have a reaction to Avastin..

I'm on Xeloda and Avastin for maintenance Chemo. I feel no adverse effects personally from the Avastin. I've been on it for 8 months.

Possible effects to watch for, raise in blood pressure and bleeding.

It should not ruin your day.

Good Luck

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    Hi Beth, At the clinic where

Hi Beth, At the clinic where I receive my Oxaliplatin, they provide heating pad. Keep the arm warm helps alleviate some pain and discomfort. 

One thing that baffles me is that the bathroom at my clinic doesn't have warm water. After receiving the drip and washing hands in cold water is no fun. 

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member

Thanks, Tru & Mike

You are so right that I've endured a lot already.  It's just that I am finally starting to feel like myself and....here we go again.  I appreciate the encouragement to remain active.  I will be going back to work (from home most days), driving to infusions, trying to keep up with my family's needs.  That will hopefully keep my mind more positive.  

Deep breath.  I can do this.  

Beth, it might be a good idea

For the first infusion, at least, to have someone available to drive you just in case you have a reaction that might make driving difficult, dangerous, or unwise.

Grace/lizard 44

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    lizard44 said:

Beth, it might be a good idea

For the first infusion, at least, to have someone available to drive you just in case you have a reaction that might make driving difficult, dangerous, or unwise.

Grace/lizard 44

I agree with Grace. I feel

I agree with Grace. I feel sick and drowsy about an hour after my drip and there's no way I could drive. Either my friends would pick me up or I would call a cab. 

• SophDan2
    SophDan2 Member Posts: 150 Member

Homeward bound?

Do you know when you can return home yet?  Took me until week 3/4 to feel like myself again.  Light headedness has disappeared altogether.  Incisions are healed.  Mastered the ostomy.  Gaining weight...finally.  Was down to 144 in hospital.  Up to 156 yesterday.  This is a good weight for my frame.

Hoping your pain mgmt is going well.  That was the hatdest part for me.  Along with insomnia that I am still working on.  Need to be strong for upcoming chemo!

Just a thought for the insomnia

Throughout my treatments, I did not like or want to take the antinausea drugs, so I decided to try medical marijuana edibles. I only used them 3 or 4 times during 12 treatments, but what it helped me the most with was the insomnia. i would wake up in the morning feeling like I had a good night's rest.

It really really helped.

Just a thought!

• BRHMichigan
    SophDan2 said:

Just a thought for the insomnia

Throughout my treatments, I did not like or want to take the antinausea drugs, so I decided to try medical marijuana edibles. I only used them 3 or 4 times during 12 treatments, but what it helped me the most with was the insomnia. i would wake up in the morning feeling like I had a good night's rest.

It really really helped.

Just a thought!

I use it too

I have my MM card and use THC oil at night many nights.  It helps a bit.  Edibles are so unpredictable!  I should experiment more.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Avastin reaction

I'm having an Avastin infusion tomorrow morning, before starting first Xeloda treatment after evening meal. My question is prosaic, but practical: can anyone report what I might expect from this first Avastin infusion? I have an appt with a neurosurgeon (my stage 4 colon cancer moved into brain in July, necessitating a craniotomy) three hours later and I"m wondering whether they'll be any issues with me driving. Thanks.

avastin reaction

I can say my husband has been on avastin on and off for a year and 1/2. It makes him very foggy headed.

The effect was cumulative over time.

He can drive now but whether or not he will remember where or why he is going somewhere is another problem.

It seems to effect him in flashes almost like someone with dementia.

He also gets easily distracted while driving with things like the radio and will just stare at it which makes him take his eyes off the road longer than he should.

He doesn't realize it....which is the problem when your own brain is not communicating the proper information.

For trips over ten miles I ride with him to keep him focused...and no fast roads. Luckily we have slow empty country road here.

Have someone ride with you in the car to judge your driving abilities before trying go too far. You may not realize you are having a problem.

He is also using with Xeloda at this point and is feeling well with limited side effects.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

How

Hi, Kim.

I know risks are minimal with a port but I have some odd fear about it.  Oncologist said I have good veins so I can get the Oxy & Avastin intrvenously.  And I'll take Xeloda orally instead of Folfox.  He said they do this in Europe.  And a large study showed no difference in outcomes.

You can Change your mind

You can always change your mind if you find that the veins start collapsing or not performing the way you want.  Just try to be open to it.  My first round was Xeloda, but needed to take Folfox after surgery and that's when my port was installed.  Good luck and wishing you the very best.  Remember you can always change your mind during treatment.

Kim