Recent diagnosis

Options
Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
Gtngbtr58 @aol.com Member Posts: 206 Member

Hi  recently diagnosed RCC with surgery pls g-d on 11/27.  Dr put my mind at ease after appt.  Spend too much time on google not understabding what i was reading but panicing and thinking the worst all the same.  3.8 size mass on left kidney extension into renal sinus.  Dr. Says they treat this the same ad T1-I hope so.  Anyone with similar mass?  I'm paniced now about the possible grade after surgery and recurrence-thanks in advance

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    You should be fine

Gt,

All of us were scared in the begining. That was me 15 years ago. Assuming your mass is 3.8 cm. you should be fine and your prognosis is excellent.

Icemantoo

• Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
    edited October 2017 #3
    Options
    Thank you

Icemantoo-thanks for responding to my post-although its been a short time diagnosed 10/3-i'm thinking the new normal is always being in a bit nervous and paniced-maybe I'll feel better after the surgery knowing that the mass is out and taking over my body.

• Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
    Options
    And not taking over my body 

• Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
    Options
    Anyone have experoence with 3

Anyone have experoence with 3.8 mass into renal sinus-but everything b"h clear

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    edited October 2017 #6
    Options
    I have a tumor around the

I have a tumor around the same size you have and in the same kidney. Mine seems to be contained, but doc said  they don't know 100% about anything until they are in there. Surgery scheduled for Nov.7th. They caught yours early which means a great outlook for you!! Good luck!

• Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
    Options
    Thanks AnnissaP for your

Thanks AnnissaP for your encouraging response-Good luck with your surgery-I'm still confused about the renal sinus component

• Angie1496
    Angie1496 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi!  Welcome to the group!

Hi!  Welcome to the group!  Not one any of us want to be in, but it’s nice to have a place we can come vent or just talk to people that understand.  I had a 4.5 cm mass on my right kidney. Upper pole. It was very close to the renal artery or vein. Not sure which one because I zoned out when it said T3 instead of T1 if it was in the vein. When they got in there with the internal ultrasound it wasn’t as deep as it appeared in the ct. instead of the entire kidney I only lost 10%. While this isn’t exactly like yours, I understand your feelings. I googled a lot before and after surgery. It can be goo and bad for us!  Do educate yourself on this devil RCC but dont make it all you do!  I made myself sick with worry and spent too much time worrying. My last call to my doc was about something I read in my path report. Even though he went over it with me in detail I still googled. Then 3 weeks of worrying I finally called him.  He told me to stop googling. I was convinced I needed to get a full body scan despite having clear margins etc...  I had my surgery Sept 6. Almost back to 100%.  

I am glad you found this group before surgery. I didn’t find it until after mine and could have used these guys understanding and recommendations. I hope everything with your surgery goes perfectly. Please ask any and all questions you may have!  Knowledge is power!

• Angie1496
    edited October 2017 #9
    Options
    AnnissaP said:

I have a tumor around the

I have a tumor around the same size you have and in the same kidney. Mine seems to be contained, but doc said  they don't know 100% about anything until they are in there. Surgery scheduled for Nov.7th. They caught yours early which means a great outlook for you!! Good luck!

I will have you on my mind

I will have you on my mind and in my prayers. It’s getting closer. I know everything will go well!

angie

• Angie1496
    edited October 2017 #10
    Options

Everyday it’s been gone from

Everyday it’s been gone from mine has been better than the last. I find I listen to my body a lot more than I did before this happened!

• Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
    Options
    Angie thanks millions for

Angie thanks millions for taking the time for me-l'm a all or nothing person and almost hope for a full kidney removal-I think it would give me some peace of mind-so was your mass a  t3? My Dr claims he treat a pt3s the same as t1-just nervous about recurrence and mets

• randyradiohill
    randyradiohill Member Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi...going thru it now

Hi...Ours is almost identical.  I had my surgery last week.  2.7cm on left kidney.  The path report showed it had broken containment and was just in the renal vein.  They diagnosed me with a T3a...Like you, my surgeon was very optimistic even though it had broken containment.  My margins were negative, nothing in the surrounding fat or lymphnodes.

I have the actual sit down appointment with my surgeon on the 14th.  I'll be armed with better questions.  I was expecting a T1 and when he said it was just starting into the renal vein, my mind exploded.

The surgery wasn't difficult at all.  I had a much harder time with the recovery from the anesthisia and pain meds.  I quit taking the pain meds while still in the hospital.  I now am the proud owner of 4 scars.  My kids say I look like I've been shot 3 times and stabbed once.  I admit I'm still anxious about everything, but I'm reading and researching and finding my path to make sure I get my body as healthy as possible so I don't have to do this again.

Good luck and make sure to lean on everyone here.  It really helps.

• Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
    Options
    Thanks so much for making me

Thanks so much for making me feel like i'm not alone -I really didnt't have many questions at the first Dr's appt just wanted to hear that my situation was more positve than negative based on the MRI results.  I walked out of the appt a little more optomistic but realised I wanted to know more....i'm hoping that the Dr's confidence about my situation is from their past experience and expertise. So glad i found this site nothing like communication with people who are going thru the same thing.  Thanks again for taking the time to reply-speedy recovery and continued good health

• Angie1496
    Options

Angie thanks millions for

Angie thanks millions for taking the time for me-l'm a all or nothing person and almost hope for a full kidney removal-I think it would give me some peace of mind-so was your mass a  t3? My Dr claims he treat a pt3s the same as t1-just nervous about recurrence and mets

it was stage 1 grade 2 since

it was stage 1 grade 2 since it wasn’t in the renal vein as it appeared. I told my doc the morning of the surgery that i wanted him to take the whole kidney. That I was fine with losing it all to make sure it was gone. He told he he had reviewed my CT’s again the night before and he felt he wouldn’t need to take it all. I kinda wish he had taken it all. 

• Angie1496
    Options

Hi...going thru it now

Hi...Ours is almost identical.  I had my surgery last week.  2.7cm on left kidney.  The path report showed it had broken containment and was just in the renal vein.  They diagnosed me with a T3a...Like you, my surgeon was very optimistic even though it had broken containment.  My margins were negative, nothing in the surrounding fat or lymphnodes.

I have the actual sit down appointment with my surgeon on the 14th.  I'll be armed with better questions.  I was expecting a T1 and when he said it was just starting into the renal vein, my mind exploded.

The surgery wasn't difficult at all.  I had a much harder time with the recovery from the anesthisia and pain meds.  I quit taking the pain meds while still in the hospital.  I now am the proud owner of 4 scars.  My kids say I look like I've been shot 3 times and stabbed once.  I admit I'm still anxious about everything, but I'm reading and researching and finding my path to make sure I get my body as healthy as possible so I don't have to do this again.

Good luck and make sure to lean on everyone here.  It really helps.

I have five. Looks like I was

I have five. Looks like I was in a knife fight

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Angie1496 said:

it was stage 1 grade 2 since

it was stage 1 grade 2 since it wasn’t in the renal vein as it appeared. I told my doc the morning of the surgery that i wanted him to take the whole kidney. That I was fine with losing it all to make sure it was gone. He told he he had reviewed my CT’s again the night before and he felt he wouldn’t need to take it all. I kinda wish he had taken it all. 

Actually

I wanted my Dr to take it all too and he said much better to have partial if possible.  My was next to renal vein but not in it.  I still kinda wished that too! I think I would feel better about not have a recurrence. Almost w years and still scares the crap out of me

Kim