bad side effects of fu

Options

Hello guys. I understand im pretty new here and have been out. The last couple treataments really has sorry for language kicked my ****. I had super bad handburning last time unable to walk or touch anything so doc took out a med. This treatment, same thing ;( Doc basically said to take as many oxyocodones as I can without sedating myself to try and control the pain. I got a call from the nurse and looks like doc is stopping chemo all together. Im happy and sad about this. I would like to get the full 12 treatments in, but i have recieved 8 and I feel pretty confident about that.  I guess I find out next step  wether its a scan to ensure the cancer hasnt returned. They were able to remove it all after liver and colon resection back in May. I am currently in disability so im not sure if i should start working or just wait.  It kinda feels like im starting life over if that makes sense to anyone?  My hands have gotten better but man the peeling is so bad now. im still taking oxycodone as while i can now touch things, they are very super sensitive. I hope this doesnt cause any sort of long term nueropathy. Thank for letting me share. This has been one wild ride. 

Comments

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I am sorry

i am a caregiver so I don't have experience here, but I want to tell you I am sorry and I hope your pain eases up soon. The one thing I have read and seen on here is some studies shown 8 treatments of chemo after surgery can be just as effective sometimes as the full 12. I am sure someone else can offer more information on this. Feel better!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Eight is enough - as the TV program says

Just saying!

I had nine treatments. I did have one set back with a tumour in the liver, but since then, I am three years six months (today) NED. 

Treatment does get worse the further you progress, and it sounds like your Onc put an end to it before the neuropathy became a real issue. I hope so, because it is no fun to live with, but, living is the key, so if you find yourself with permanent neuropathy, you're still alive. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Treatment

Treatment is cumulative and the more you get the more it absorbs in your body and reacts.  The neuropathy can be permanent so you need to make sure you don't take too much that it is permanent.  Good thing that you and doctor are communicating on your symptoms.  Wishing you well in the future.  Hope that you feel better.  Keep posting, we are always here to help.

Kim

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Many people don't complete 12 treatments

and they are doing studies now to see if 6 or 8 provide the same benefit with fewer side effects than 12.  I made it through 7.  Recurrence after 9 years, but we don't think that missing those 3 treatments had any effect, as mine was a very slow growing cancer to begin with.  And no, I'm not having chemo now.  I had surgery for the recurrence, with 2 days of intraperitoneal chemo.  We know that the cancer is still there; hopefully 10 years before it comes back to haunt me (preferably, it never comes back!)

• EissetB
    EissetB Member Posts: 133
    Options
    I completed my 12 infusion of

I completed my 12 infusion of folfox. Now I have neuropathy on both hands and toes. As long as I can still walk and not tumbling over, I think I am fine. As of now, I had been taking Vitamin B Complex and it seems to help getting rid of the numbness little by little. Wishing you well. God bless us all.

Eisset

• ReeRee2
    ReeRee2 Member Posts: 39
    Options

I am sorry

i am a caregiver so I don't have experience here, but I want to tell you I am sorry and I hope your pain eases up soon. The one thing I have read and seen on here is some studies shown 8 treatments of chemo after surgery can be just as effective sometimes as the full 12. I am sure someone else can offer more information on this. Feel better!

3 months vs 6 months.

Some studies they are doing show 3 months is as good as 12.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    ReeRee2 said:

3 months vs 6 months.

Some studies they are doing show 3 months is as good as 12.

Outside U.S.

They are doing three month cycles in some places. Japan I think does.  They were running studies on this when I was on chemo in 2015 and my oncolpogist thought three months may because the course of treatment here at some point for FOLFOX.  (And on the OX part, my oncologist tries to get at least 8 but no more than 10 treatments of the 12 with that part due to the cost/benfit analysis of neurpathy vs cancer kickin' increment for a couple of treatments with it.)