A question on hiccups

Options

I have looked at boards for almost a year but have never joined in.

I am the caregiver, married for 49 3/4 years, to the love of my life...still.

He was diagnoised in November 2016 and underwent a esophagectomy in March 2017 following concurrent radiation and chemo treatments.  Since has had several regiments of chemotherapy.  I am sure I will expand on all but right now I have one questions for anyone.

Have you experieinced chronic hiccups that come without reason, no pattern of right after eating for example - none. They are hard and constant.  If you or someone you are involved with this cancer I would appreicate any sharing.

Thank you.

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    edited October 2017 #2
    Options
    Hello

Hello,

I've not ever had issues with hiccups, but I've seen it several times on this EC board.  Thre have been numerous folks here who have mentioned hiccups as a symptom they've had before being diagnosed with EC.  I'm not sure if folks have had hiccup issues after treatment , though.  Hope you find the information you need.

Best wishes,

Ed

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    edited October 2017 #3
    Options
    Hiccups are sometimes a side effect of chemotherapy

Hello, 

Hiccups can sometimes be a side effect of chemotherapy. Two common drugs used in chemotherapy that can lead to hiccups are Cisplatin and Decadron (Dexamethosone). If your husband is taking Decadron for nausea they might consider switching him to an alternate drug like Emend. I would definitely suggest you discuss your husband’s hiccup episodes with his oncologist. It could be, with some elimination of some meds, or addition of some meds like Chlorpromazine might be helpful. Of course; I am not qualified to provide medical advice, and am providing suggestions based on my personal experience. An in-depth discussion with your oncologist would be your best approach. Unfortunately, hiccups are not uncommon. 

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009
    Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009 Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Seven Year Survivor