Need support

My 64 year old father was just diagnosed with advanced liver cancer.  I am my father's only child and he & my stepmother live 8 hours away.  I feel extremely helpless, confused and overwhelmed.  I have been doing as much research as I can so I can help and support my dad and stepmother.  I have two young children, 3 and 6.  I will wait until I know his treatment plan before telling my children.  My 3 year old won't understand, but my 6 year old will.  My 6 year old is one of the most caring and compassionate children I know, but she is also very sensitive and I know this news is going to break her heart.  She knows what cancer is as we've have had a few family members who have had cancer. There is just so much to process and everytime I think about what's happening, I burst out in tears.  I need to be strong for my family, but I'm afraid I'm going to be too emotional about this whole situation.  

Comments

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    So sorry to hear

So sorry to hear your father and your family are going through this.  Having friends or extended family go through cancer is different than seeing our close family struggle with a cancer diagnosis. There's a link to the toll-free number and info to contact the American Cancer Society on this page. They should be able to point you in the direction of resources to help you tell your daughter about her grandfather and how to help support her and let her support her grandfather and grandmother. Probably some of those things will be able to help you through this too.

When we have children, we want to protect them from sadness, let alone broken hearts and hurts. Oftentimes, they surprise us and manage a lot more matter-of-factly than we do. 

All the best. Keep us posted as you're able --