Brain Mets

Brain Mets from colon cancer ? 
My mother had a CT scan one month ago and it did not show any Mets other than a few sets of abdominal lymph nodes . Fast forward .. On Tuesday we started having balance issues . She is now an Hospice patient. Her liver is giving out . We have non-alcoholic cirrhosis. It just came on out of the blue ! My question is can cancer travel to the Brain that fast ?

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Cancer and the brain

Did your mother's CT scan include her brain? I know that when I am scanned, they just go up to the chest. 

Brain mets are rare, but sadly, not rare enough. They usually scan the brain if the patient is having symptoms that may relate to a brain met. 

Balance issues can be caused by things other than brain mets (as I'm sure you know). I have terrible balance issues, accentuated by the chemo. 

I am sorry to hear that she is at this stage. It is not easy on anyone. I hope that hospice is making her comfotable, and that her Oncologist can do something more. 

Tru

• Rcreese68
    Rcreese68 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2017 #3
    Trubrit said:

Cancer and the brain

Did your mother's CT scan include her brain? I know that when I am scanned, they just go up to the chest. 

Brain mets are rare, but sadly, not rare enough. They usually scan the brain if the patient is having symptoms that may relate to a brain met. 

Balance issues can be caused by things other than brain mets (as I'm sure you know). I have terrible balance issues, accentuated by the chemo. 

I am sorry to hear that she is at this stage. It is not easy on anyone. I hope that hospice is making her comfotable, and that her Oncologist can do something more. 

Tru

You are right ! It was only

You are right ! It was only Chest down.  I have no clue why I thought her head was included .

• Rcreese68
    Rcreese68 Member Posts: 5
    Could it skip the liver and

Could it skip the liver and go straight to the brain ?

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Mikenh said:

I thought that the Blood

I thought that the Blood-Brain Barrier was supposed to prevent circulating blood from getting to the brain but I am far from any kind of expert on this. I should ask my son.

Sad but true

While it is rare, we have had a few (or more) forum members who have had CRC spread to the brain.  

Normally it hits the liver and lungs first though. 

Tru

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Rcreese68 said:

Could it skip the liver and

Could it skip the liver and go straight to the brain ?

I thought that the Blood

I thought that the Blood-Brain Barrier was supposed to prevent circulating blood from getting to the brain but I am far from any kind of expert on this. I should ask my son.

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited October 2017 #7
    Mikenh said:

I thought that the Blood

Brain Barrier

Unfortunately it does not stop the migration of cancer cells, but it is the reason why chemo does not work on brain mets.  Usual treatment is either surgery or radiation.

Since hospice is involved, I have to assume that no further treatments are being given.  I know when my sister went on hospice care that was one of their conditions.  If the patient and their docs determined a treatment to try, hospice was suspended, and hospice could be re-started if/when treatments were concluded if that level of care was required.

Hope that hospice care is good not only for your Mom but the rest of the family. 

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Brain

Like Tru said it is rare but we've had members here before that it has happened.  Normally a CT scan is done only from chest down to pelvic.  No need to do above that as it is uncommon.  I'm sorry about your mother and her diagnosis.  Wishing the best for you and your family.  It's got to be hard since this is so fast.  Hospice was a such a comfort when my mother was dying.  They can help you through the worst of it but it's still hard to cope with.  My heart goes out to you and you mother and family.

Kim