Hospital Comfort

Options
Erin724
Erin724 Member Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

I was happy to find this forum today. My 38 year old husband was diagnosed with Stage 1 RCC a week ago today. He went in for a routine scan of his kidney arteries, doctor was checking for blockages in his renal arteries because he has high blood pressure and that is how the mass was detected, subsequently arteries were clear of blockages.  We met with the urologist last week  and his robotic partial nephrectomy is scheduled for 11/7/17.  I am trying to figure out the best ways to support him and have been thinking about the surgery itself and hospital stay. Even though it will be a short hospital stay - can any of you that have gone through the surgery give me any tips or advice that may make him more comfortable in the hospital and post op?

I have read through many threads and picked up a few tips - ice packs, roomy clothes, stool softners, etc... If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. I feel helpless and want to do everything I can to support him and make him as comfortable as possible.

Thanks so much for you help,

Erin

Comments

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    edited October 2017 #2
    Options
    You received the same tips I

You received the same tips I did! Crazy, but I am the same age as your husband and my surgery is the same day!!!! People will give you great advice which I unfortunately cannot at this point. I do know that just being there with/for him is a huge comfort in itself. Wishing you two all the best!!

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Moderation

Erin,

Do everything in moderation at first. I was back to a slow normal in about 6 weeks at age 59 which is a bit tougher than 38.

Icemantoo

• rhominator
    rhominator Member Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Be a strong health care advocate

> I feel helpless and want to do everything I can to support him and make him as comfortable as possible.

Good for you, Erin. I would have been in a world of hurt, both literally and figuratively, if wasn't for my wife. I've had great care on our local county HMO, but at times we've had to fight for it.  In the hospital she made sure I got the extra meds I needed in a timely fashion.  And afterwards she got (paper) copies of all my records. My wife never let(s) up. :-)  Sometimes it's simply a matter of askling, at other times some persistence and pressure is required.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You!

It's as simple as that.  You and your presence will mean the world to him.  He will feel vulnerable and rather helpless.  Your encouragement, love, and support will help him get back on his feet and push to get well quickly.

Good luck and God bless,

Stub

• Erin724
    Options
    AnnissaP said:

You received the same tips I

You received the same tips I did! Crazy, but I am the same age as your husband and my surgery is the same day!!!! People will give you great advice which I unfortunately cannot at this point. I do know that just being there with/for him is a huge comfort in itself. Wishing you two all the best!!

Best of Luck

HI AnnissaP. That is crazy and sorry that you and anyone has to go through this! Wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery!

• Erin724
    edited October 2017 #7
    Options
    Thank you

Thanks everyone for your advice and guidance. I greatly appreciate it!

• BoondockSaint
    BoondockSaint Member Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You're gonna be his anchor

You're gonna be his anchor during this process. That in of itself will be the most important thing you can do for him. 

• love_of_my_life
    love_of_my_life Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2017 #9
    Options
    Know exactly how you feel

You just need to be there.  Be there when he needs something, be there to call the doctor with questions, and be there to support him.

Prayers are with you guys.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Welcome Erin

And as a former Respiratory Therapist I will advise you to make sure he uses his Incentive Spirometer (a device to encourage deep breathing exercises) that they will most certainly give him.  It is imperative to help with lung expansion post-op.  The combination of being sedated for the procedure, possibly having pain, pain meds, laying around during recovery can really be an awful force for the lungs to overcome, so he doesn't end up with pneumonia in addition to everything else.  If you can get your hands on one PRIOR to surgery, that would be your best bet.  Then he will know what  his ultimate goal will be to work toward.  I was lucky in that sense, since I worked in a hospital setting, I was able to take one so I knew what my goal was.  It was amazing....post-op I wasn't able to draw in a deep breath anywhere near what I was able to pre-op.  Took me a couple of weeks, but eventually I got back to normal.  The advice is typically to use it about 10 breaths an hour, about 8-10 times a day.  I always advised doing it during a commercial break on tv.  His lungs will thank him.

Best wishes,

Donna~