Last Question / Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• MitchellM
    MitchellM Member Posts: 48
    Options
    MRI came back clean. I’m

MRI came back clean. I’m still confused as to what are causing all these symptoms and am meeting with the oncologist on Monday to discuss everything. Will possibly ask about the possibility of perineural invasion being missed on the MRI / CT scan. Additionally, I’d like to see if they could biopsy the node in my neck. Second biopsy of my lip should be back next week too. 

For those of you that had a lymph node biopsed, who completed this? I’m starting to go crazy as all the test come back good, but still know something is off. Any help would be appreciated. 

• DanceSkater
    DanceSkater Member Posts: 62
    Options
    MitchellM said:

MRI came back clean. I’m

MRI came back clean. I’m still confused as to what are causing all these symptoms and am meeting with the oncologist on Monday to discuss everything. Will possibly ask about the possibility of perineural invasion being missed on the MRI / CT scan. Additionally, I’d like to see if they could biopsy the node in my neck. Second biopsy of my lip should be back next week too. 

For those of you that had a lymph node biopsed, who completed this? I’m starting to go crazy as all the test come back good, but still know something is off. Any help would be appreciated. 

Biopsy

My ENT said he could do it at his office.  However, he ordered it to be done at a hospital because the lymph node that needed to be biopsied was so very close to my juglar vein.   A doctor at the hospital did the biopsy but I don't know what his specialty was.  I had the feeling he may have been a radiologist.

• MitchellM
    Options

Biopsy

My ENT said he could do it at his office.  However, he ordered it to be done at a hospital because the lymph node that needed to be biopsied was so very close to my juglar vein.   A doctor at the hospital did the biopsy but I don't know what his specialty was.  I had the feeling he may have been a radiologist.

I’m assuming this was a fully

I’m assuming this was a full removal, or just a ultrasound guided fine needle? Sorry if that’s an ignorant question. 

• DanceSkater
    DanceSkater Member Posts: 62
    Options
    MitchellM said:

I’m assuming this was a fully

I’m assuming this was a full removal, or just a ultrasound guided fine needle? Sorry if that’s an ignorant question. 

Biopsy

It was a guided fine needle biopsy.   They found squamous cell and I later had a radical left neck dissection.   (We're all in this to help each other.  No question is ignorant in my opinion.  Always feel free to ask. )

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    MitchellM said:

MRI came back clean. I’m

My ENT did the first needle

My ENT did the first needle biopsy. This was my second ENT. My first ENT wanted to go straight to neck dissection and I disagreed.

After the needle biopsy came back positive I was referred to a local cancer center. There the oncologist did an actual sedated biopsy of the base of my tongue.

Just FYI - I was told by both ENT's that a needle biopsy will not detect all possible types of cancer that could be the problem. This is the reason my first ENT wanted to go straight to neck dissection. 

• MitchellM
    Options

Biopsy

It was a guided fine needle biopsy.   They found squamous cell and I later had a radical left neck dissection.   (We're all in this to help each other.  No question is ignorant in my opinion.  Always feel free to ask. )

Awesome, thank you so much

Awesome, thank you so much for the help. I’ll talk to the oncologist about a guided fine needle biopsy then. My ENT already did one, but it wasn’t guided, maybe he missed? Although he took two different samples. I don’t know at This point. 

• MitchellM
    Options
    OKCnative said:

My ENT did the first needle

My ENT did the first needle biopsy. This was my second ENT. My first ENT wanted to go straight to neck dissection and I disagreed.

After the needle biopsy came back positive I was referred to a local cancer center. There the oncologist did an actual sedated biopsy of the base of my tongue.

Just FYI - I was told by both ENT's that a needle biopsy will not detect all possible types of cancer that could be the problem. This is the reason my first ENT wanted to go straight to neck dissection. 

Yeah, this is what I’m afraid

Yeah, this is what I’m afraid of! I’ve had a fine needle biopsy just a couple weeks ago (beginning of October) but I’m unsure if things were missed. The thing giving me the most discomfort now are the accessory nerve infiltration symptoms (right shoulder is rolled forward and trap muscle is gone - literally happened overnight). 

• MitchellM
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

Cancer is

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts. 

Looking back at your post history, this started close to 9 months ago. By now and in light of all the testing, including the gold standard biopsy, it would be obvious if it were cancer. I'm not doubting you're experiencing symptoms but I think I speak for many survivors in that we would have given anything to have one clear test let alone several.

Your posts follow a pattern of reassurance seeking, consulting Dr. Google and not believing medical professionals which is common with health anxiety. The people here are sufferers and survivors. We're not medical experts nor can we diagnose. That being said, in light of so many tests that have absolved you from illness physically, it may be something you need to explore mentally.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

Thanks for the response and I

Thanks for the response and I apologize if I offended anyone. 

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Cancer is

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts. 

Looking back at your post history, this started close to 9 months ago. By now and in light of all the testing, including the gold standard biopsy, it would be obvious if it were cancer. I'm not doubting you're experiencing symptoms but I think I speak for many survivors in that we would have given anything to have one clear test let alone several.

Your posts follow a pattern of reassurance seeking, consulting Dr. Google and not believing medical professionals which is common with health anxiety. The people here are sufferers and survivors. We're not medical experts nor can we diagnose. That being said, in light of so many tests that have absolved you from illness physically, it may be something you need to explore mentally.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts