Worried I won't know what to do

I've been calling myself "caregiver" but so far I have been doing easy time.   I always knew what to do.   R - has been through 3 rounds of chemo, including a study "parp inhibitor"  - going on 3 years.  Her cancer presents as fluid build up in belly and around left lung so we have drained fluids 3 times - giving a day relief and then it starts to fill.  Doctor says time for chemo again  - Doxil this time with (Avastin sp?) to turbo charge it with the goal to stop the fluid build up and give more time.

For a few days life was normal - but on day 4 pain presented as a side effect - and vomiting - and lack of sleep.

Now I worry I won't know what to do to bring her relief.   She wants me by her side 24 X 7 because the fear has increased.  Now we have Dilaudid for pain relief and the other basket of anti-nausea meds and I find if she doesn't know what would help her - I don't either.

Is there a resource for care givers to know what is the right med to give patients that are struggling?

Any advice will be richly appreciated.

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited October 2017 #2
    dear CARE, blessed are the

dear CARE, blessed are the care givers!  None of us fight alone but those who are with us, at ANY time, are so appreciated.  

I don't believe there are any real 'resource' for care givers and the best source is where you have come.  I am sorry I cannot help but would recommend calling the doctor's office to see what they may suggest.  Perhaps some of the other ladies can chime in.

• rejoycew
    rejoycew Member Posts: 36
    Hi icare4u,

Hi icare4u,

Bless you as the caregiver. I agree with the above to consult with your oncoligst for resouces. Especially since I have read that others on this forum have experienced problems with Doxil/Avastin combined.  I had 9 months of Doxil which is the limit due to heart dangers and now I've had 5 treatments of Avastin every 3 weeks. I have not had any pain or fluid build up and feel really good. I know every one is different aand treatments are different for us all with ovarian cancer.  Thank goodness there al lots of options out there so letting your doctor know what you are experiencing is important I believe.   

I do think the Am.Cancer Society has resouces and can be very helpful.  Kaiser has several support groups as well as our local YWCA.  I wish you luck.  Centainly taking care of your self as well as gathering information is as important as caring for one with cancer.  Bless you.