Options
2»

Comments

• LeahP
    LeahP Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2021 #22
    Options
    new here

So far, seems like the information drips out slowly.  My initial mammogram was 12/6 then 2nd one with ultrasound, negative CNB for intraductal papilloma.  Thought I was home free.  Was sent to breast surgeon who is oncologist and had excision 2/22.  The dr called last week to say it was DCIS, margins not clear, path report pending so regroup with him in a week.  My breast has been swollen a cup size since the first marker placement.  I guess to be expected.  Even if it's not life threatening, it still packs a punch, and outwardly I'm trying to play it down and be super positive.

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    edited March 2021 #23
    Options
    LeahP said:

new here

So far, seems like the information drips out slowly.  My initial mammogram was 12/6 then 2nd one with ultrasound, negative CNB for intraductal papilloma.  Thought I was home free.  Was sent to breast surgeon who is oncologist and had excision 2/22.  The dr called last week to say it was DCIS, margins not clear, path report pending so regroup with him in a week.  My breast has been swollen a cup size since the first marker placement.  I guess to be expected.  Even if it's not life threatening, it still packs a punch, and outwardly I'm trying to play it down and be super positive.

New diagnosis

Please ask for the onycote test to find out how likely it is to return and what your treatment option are based on the score.  Demand a breast MRI and a complete ultrasound of both breasts.  Do your research before making any decisions.  Please get a second opinion before you suffer any more excisions.  This seems like an unusual way to make a breast cancer diagnosis.  I have had at least nine breast biopsies all different kinds and have never had swelling or pain.  Please start researching your condition and cancer type and staging.  You will feel confident in the decisions that you make when you have knowledge.

• Sushitex
    Sushitex Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2021 #24
    Options
    2 Lumpectomies, now bilateral mastectomy

I had early (probably stage 1) breast cancer many years ago, when I was 27. It was supposed to be a cyst being removed, until the pathology lab indicated that it was malignant. Back I went into surgery, to have more tissue and several lymph nodes  removed (all clear) followed by radiation therapy. Fast forward over 30 years later, I had what I thought would be my regular annual mammagram this past December. It turned out that there was calcification in the same breast (different area), and a biopsy indicated DCIS. My surgeon performed a lumpectomy in mid-January, and then my oncologist had me take the BRCA gene test. Although the results were negative, because of my history, and my strong family history with the disease, I had to decide between a regular or bilateral mastectomy, with no radiation (cannot have repeat radiation done on the same breast.) Last week, I saw my surgeon again, and decided to go with the bilateral mastectomy, which is scheduled for the end of this month. I have seen my oncologist once (she recommended the mastectomy) and will see her again after the surgery. 

So, now that I have made the decision for the bilateral, there is a little more peace of mind. I was also able to track down a local source for prosthesis bras, etc. and hope to get a fitting done a few weeks after the surgery. Now my fears are about the actual surgery itself, and how painful I  hear it is do the necessary exercises a day or so after the surgery. I guess I will continue to lean on my faith in God and in my fine doctors, especially the surgeon. 

• LGallo
    LGallo Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2021 #25
    Options
    Sushitex

Hi,

First I want to say prayers for you and your family. God is Good. Keep your faith we're all with you during this tough time. I endured and survived lumpectomy, Red Devil Chemo, mammosite radiation, removal of ovaries, and other port in & out surgeries a total of 6 in 2007. If I had to do it all over again I would have opted for the bilateral mastectomy!!!!! I spent 10 years going to 3.5 hour breast diagnostics every 6 months while taking a similar to tamoxifen. So, here I am again with a highly suspicious of the other girl. I am opting for the bilateral this time but due to Covid there is limited patient support. I'm no longer able to drive and my tough-guy husband is not capable of giving me care let alone make anything other than soup & sandwich :) I'll know more when I see my surgeon Fri 04/02. I'm opting for the tuck reconstructive from my belly fat. Geesh I hope they don't use all of it because I don't want big breasts ever again. Prayers for quick healing and glad you have family around to help. Be and heal well, Lynn

• LGallo
    LGallo Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2021 #26
    Options
    Sushitex said:

2 Lumpectomies, now bilateral mastectomy

I had early (probably stage 1) breast cancer many years ago, when I was 27. It was supposed to be a cyst being removed, until the pathology lab indicated that it was malignant. Back I went into surgery, to have more tissue and several lymph nodes  removed (all clear) followed by radiation therapy. Fast forward over 30 years later, I had what I thought would be my regular annual mammagram this past December. It turned out that there was calcification in the same breast (different area), and a biopsy indicated DCIS. My surgeon performed a lumpectomy in mid-January, and then my oncologist had me take the BRCA gene test. Although the results were negative, because of my history, and my strong family history with the disease, I had to decide between a regular or bilateral mastectomy, with no radiation (cannot have repeat radiation done on the same breast.) Last week, I saw my surgeon again, and decided to go with the bilateral mastectomy, which is scheduled for the end of this month. I have seen my oncologist once (she recommended the mastectomy) and will see her again after the surgery. 

So, now that I have made the decision for the bilateral, there is a little more peace of mind. I was also able to track down a local source for prosthesis bras, etc. and hope to get a fitting done a few weeks after the surgery. Now my fears are about the actual surgery itself, and how painful I  hear it is do the necessary exercises a day or so after the surgery. I guess I will continue to lean on my faith in God and in my fine doctors, especially the surgeon. 

bilateral

Hi,

First I want to say prayers for you and your family. God is Good. Keep your faith we're all with you during this tough time. I endured and survived lumpectomy, Red Devil Chemo, mammosite radiation, removal of ovaries, and other port in & out surgeries a total of 6 in 2007. If I had to do it all over again I would have opted for the bilateral mastectomy!!!!! I spent 10 years going to 3.5 hour breast diagnostics every 6 months while taking a similar to tamoxifen. So, here I am again with a highly suspicious of the other girl. I am opting for the bilateral this time but due to Covid there is limited patient support. I'm no longer able to drive and my tough-guy husband is not capable of giving me care let alone make anything other than soup & sandwich :) I'll know more when I see my surgeon Fri 04/02. I'm opting for the tuck reconstructive from my belly fat. Geesh I hope they don't use all of it because I don't want big breasts ever again. Prayers for quick healing and glad you have family around to help. Be and heal well, Lynn