Question about liver mets.

Betty999
Betty999 Member Posts: 5

Dx OC 3C clear cell in may. Initial ca 125 = 118. Had complete hysterectomy, optimal debulking and power port placement. (No scan recommended and didn't know enough to ask). Started dose dense carbo / taxol. Ca125 went to 24 after first cycle, 7.4 after second and <5.5 (lowest the lab reads) after the third and remained there. At the beginning of chemo cycle 5, I requested and received a CT scan. The onc called that night (almost never good sign) and said there were 4 lesions the largest of which was ~2cm. They couldn't  tell weather they were inside or outside of the liver. Scheduled for a biopsy next week. 

Has anyone had a similar experienc? Is it reasonable for the ca 125 to indicate cancer is responding to treatment and scan show mets?

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Liver Mets

Betty,

I understand your frustration.  Sometimes the CA-125 is not an accurate indicator of cancer activity.  It tends to be an individual thing.  It works well for some women and not others, and it can work well for someone and then become less accurate.   I had a tumor on my liver, not in it, that could not be removed during debulking.  But the chemo got rid of it.  For some reason, clear cell seems to be a different animal than the more common serous forms of ovarian cancer.  I have heard it compared to kidney cancer, but I'm not sure why that is.  That might be one reason your CA-125 is not accurately reflecting what is happening with the tumors.  If I was in your shoes, I would sure want to be seeing an oncologist who had a lot of experience with clear cell.  I hope your biopsy brings you good news.