Options
2»

Comments

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Options

Catheter

Beth:

When I had my prostate removed I had so much bleeding in my urinary tract that it stopped up my catheter.  Once it finally cleared the floor of the shower looked like it was covered in night crawlers!  Gross, but after a while we just get adjusted to such occurences.  I got good at irrigating my catheter and even removing it.

I have a history of presenting challenges either during or after surgeries.  That's why this one has me spooked.  Just ready to be on the other side.

Jim

No one else...

...can possibly understand.  Night crawlers!!!!

Can't wait for you to be post op and on recovery road.

• BRHMichigan
    Options
    Thanks so much for the well

Thanks so much for the well wishes, Pam!

• NHMike
    NHMike Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Hey Mike...

Beth:

Please pardon me from momentarily diverting this thread from you to me.  Mike asked about me and since the three of us have been running a somewhat parallel course I thought I would respond.

Today I in-processed at the local hospital in preparation for my LAR, which is scheduled for next Tuesday (10 October).  What should have only taken 30 minutes consumed two hours and I attribute that to the administrative burden imposed by the ACA.  Wow, I can only wonder what happens when someone enters the hospital through the ER?  How long does it take before health care is administered?

My daughter went with me.  She is a nurse and will be attending to me after my surgery - how great is that?  After the paper work and physical work-up, she took me to the floor where I will be staying and showed me a room.  Nice.

However, for whatever reason, this surgery has really got me spooked.  I have been through several before but this one just has me unnerved.  Who knows why - it could be the two day liquid diet prior to the surgery or the multiple, potential outcomes from the procedure.  All I know is that I am ready to get on with the rat killing.

Tomorrow will be my last day to eat a regular diet and digest it with the "factory installed innerds" that God gave me.  Thereafter, I will live the new normal for Jim.

I currently weigh 139.  I told my daughter today that I predict my weight will drop to 129 by the end of October.  We'll see.

I fully intend to routinely post to the forum to share my experiences.  In the meantime, I wish everyone good luck and encouragement as they deal with their particular circumstances.  Cancer is a non-discriminator and it sucks.

Jim

Jim, best wishes for your

Jim, best wishes for your surgery tomorrow. Your weight is concerning to me as I'm sure that it is for you and maybe for your doctor as well. Hopefully get get back a hearty appetite after surgery though I think that you're going to be limited in what you can eat for a while. I look forwards to your updatee.

• NHMike
    Options

Brothers, Mike & Jim

My bowel prep & liquid diet were only one day prior.  Go figure.  I could have left the hospital today (5 days post surgery) but chose to stay one more.  I'd like to give you a few more details on my experience if you're interested.

My surgery was estimated for at least 3 hours.  They needed 5 hours because they ended up cutting me open instead of the smaller laparascopic cut.  I have a small incision just at my belly button they used for a camera, and a larger incision under that so they could ' get in there.'  As a result they were able to save my uterus.  And the tumor didn't enter my vaginal wall so no cuts or stitches there!  Praise to God.

They removed a small tube that acted as a drain just to the right of my navel.  That was today.  Relief.  No fun to walk around with that thing and I didn't want to go home with it.  

The surgeon said they spent a lot of time creating my stoma which is kind of lower ledt part of my abdomen.  I ate solid food yesterday and today.  The bowel is working well.  I will get a visit from a stoma nurse 2 or 3 times at home.  

I want to tell you my surgery was at 1pm and I was soooo nervous.  My hubby and mother in law were able to be with me during pre op.  Such a comfort.  I met the entire surgical team.  They were so friendly and open to last minute questions.  The nurses were amazing.  Once they gave me some oral.pain meds and hooked up I.V.'s in both arms, I felt at peace.  The meds helped so much.  Said my goodbyes to family and was wheeled to a smallish operating room with 2 sets of big lights that weren't turned on yet.  They put an oxygen mask on me....next thing I knew the clock read 7:30pm.  My family went home as I was out of it.  Brought me to a private room and it was suddenly 11pm.  I slept thru a lot!  I woke up next day feeling so happy to be alive.  My spirits have been really good since.

Jim (and Mike), your outcomes may be different than mine, but I can assure you, this was worth it.

My prayers are with you both.  You will be smiling & laughing & enjoying your families in no time.

Love, Beth 

Thank you for writing about

Thank you for writing about what happened. It is very nice to know the relative amount of time that the surgery takes along with the potential for complications. It sounds like your spirits are quite good right now.

• NHMike
    Options
    lizard44 said:

Thanks for the info, Beth

It's aways good to get info from someone who has  already gone through it.

I start the liquid diet and  prep tomorrow for APR surgery on Tuesday.  The surgeon told me  that he plans to do laparoscopic surgery but there's always the chance  he'll have to  switch to open surgery, and since my  tumor is so low he won't be able to save the anal sphincter we already know going in that I'll have a permanent  colostomy, so I'm hoping that everything goes as planned and that my surgery and recovery go as well as yours, although I'm hoping  the surgery doesn't take  quite as long and I can go home  a little sooner, which is why I'm keeping my fingers crossed that  we can go the laparoscopic rather than open surgery route.

I already told the surgeon  to make sure he gets a good night's sleep Monday night.Wink I probably won't sleep a wink myself in between the bowel prep tomorrow evening and  needing to be at the hospital at 5 A.M. Tuesday morning.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I hope you continue to recover well and stay in good spirits.

Cheers,

Grace/lizard44

I'm going in to see the

I'm going in to see the surgeon tomorrow morning and will find out if it's definitely a permanent or maybe a permanent. I'm a really pragmatic guy so the surgeon will do whatever she has to and I'll adjust to it.

The difference in prep times and maybe approaches is interesting. I guess I'll find this stuff out tomorrow as well.

Looking forward to your report, perhaps tomorrow.

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the well

Thanks so much for the well wishes, Pam!

Beth

Are you home now? I hope you are doing well!

• BRHMichigan
    Options

Beth

Are you home now? I hope you are doing well!

Hi Ruth!

Thank you so much for asking!  I am home.  Pain is bad.  I need to start walking more today, make appointments, etc.  Back to reality.  I am one of those weird people who feels safe & cared for in a hospital.  My boys and hubby are doing a god job here though.  Got my water, pain meds & remote.  They are making my meals this week too.  <3

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Hi Ruth!

Thank you so much for asking!  I am home.  Pain is bad.  I need to start walking more today, make appointments, etc.  Back to reality.  I am one of those weird people who feels safe & cared for in a hospital.  My boys and hubby are doing a god job here though.  Got my water, pain meds & remote.  They are making my meals this week too.  <3

I am glad you have them!

i am the opposite I need to get out of them as quick as possible, but I have only been in them to have babies. Walking is important so make sure you do that. I hope the pain lessens very soon! I am happy you are  being well cared for!