Final chemo today

Options

Yay for me. Chemo #6 of 6 was completed this morning. Radiation will begin in 4 or 5 weeks.

Comments

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Congrats

I'm delighted for you. You look quite fetching in you head scarf. 

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hallelujah!!

It's a wonderful feeling to reach the end of that hurdle isn't it?

Glad you have a few weeks to recover before starting radiation. It isn't so much that radiation is hard, but if you are going to need to go in everyday for a couple of weeks for it, it would be a challenge before recovering from the exhaustion that comes with that last chemo treatment. Get lots of rest, keep drinking lots of water, and consider taking a probiotic if you held off on that during chemo.

Remember that flu/cold season is here so you're going to want to protect yourself as much as you can from places where people (especially children) are leaving their germs from coughing and sneezing. Pelvic radiation impacts bone marrow where blood components like red and white blood cells are made and lower than normal WBCs will make it easier for you to pick up what's going around and harder to fight off what you get. The below normal levels usually aren't dramatic unless you have something else going on, but they can persist for some months after you finish radiation before your bone marrow recovers. 

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    YAY FOR YOU!!!!!

treatment end bell 2 to ring copy.png

So happy for you!  Congratulations - celebrateLaughing   (((HUGS)))

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    MAbound said:

Hallelujah!!

It's a wonderful feeling to reach the end of that hurdle isn't it?

Glad you have a few weeks to recover before starting radiation. It isn't so much that radiation is hard, but if you are going to need to go in everyday for a couple of weeks for it, it would be a challenge before recovering from the exhaustion that comes with that last chemo treatment. Get lots of rest, keep drinking lots of water, and consider taking a probiotic if you held off on that during chemo.

Remember that flu/cold season is here so you're going to want to protect yourself as much as you can from places where people (especially children) are leaving their germs from coughing and sneezing. Pelvic radiation impacts bone marrow where blood components like red and white blood cells are made and lower than normal WBCs will make it easier for you to pick up what's going around and harder to fight off what you get. The below normal levels usually aren't dramatic unless you have something else going on, but they can persist for some months after you finish radiation before your bone marrow recovers. 

Thank you

Thanks for the helpful tips. It is good to have that piece of treatment in the rear view window!

• Jairoldi
    Jairoldi Member Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2017 #6
    Options
    ConnieSW said:

Congrats

I'm delighted for you. You look quite fetching in you head scarf. 

Thanks

Thanks. I usually don't cover my head but it's always so chilly at chemo so I tie scarves for treatment days.

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited September 2017 #7
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope you

Congratulations! I hope you're able to celebrate this wonderful milestone with family and friends!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Congrats! On to the next

Congrats! On to the next hurdle ! You can do it!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Congrats Jairoldi! It is such

Congrats Jairoldi! It is such a great feeling to get that last one done! So happy for you. I agree with MA. Keep yourself away from germs as much as possible. It actually took me a year to get my WBC back up in the low normal range. So, just know that you are going to heal but it takes time. Continue to be kind to yourself.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi