Swallowing

Options

Hello!  I had part of the back of my tongue removed on July 20. I have started PT/OT for speech/swallowing.  I'm very scared I will never be able to eat or drink liquids.  Anyone have suggestions. I'm also having issues the the supplement. I've tried Nutren 2.0 and now using osmolite 1.5.  Im having trouble maintaining my weight.   I would like feedback on making blenderized food. Thanks

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    swallow this

Janielynn62,

I also had my base of  tongue worked on along with a jugular vein dissection to remove a tangled lymph node.  Even though I did drink lots of water and swallow often, the 7 month path I took with my diet had me wondering if normalcy would return or was the life of smoothies more the norm?  My taste, no taste, awful feel ruled the day.  I was constantly trying ALL foods and made a lot of smoothies, but after 7 months it was just like a switch got flipped and I returned to normal eating.

I di go through speech therapy which included many exercises, including swallowing.  This helped a  lot.

While life is new normal and ok there are many changes to eating and drinking.  I take two, three or four times longer to eat and drink twice as much if not more than  I used too.

I would not be scared about your future, barring a major problem you will eat, drink and be merry once again.

My smoothies were basic, protein powder, berries, bananas, nuts and vegetable oil (for calories). Just ask the H&N forum or Doctor Google.

Matt