Excessive saliva and blenderized foods

Options

I'm having excessive saliva. On July 20, I had surgery to remove lymph nodes on both sides of my neck, removed back of my tongue and reconstructed the tongue with my pectoral muscle.  I am on tube feedings. Not tolerating the supplement.  

Looking for guidance and suggestions.  

Has anyone blenderized food?

Thank

Comments

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Blended food

I blend food for my husband every day.  I started by using recipes from the Vitamix website.  You might look there and see if anything interests you.  Also, there are several internet sites that demonstrate how to make blended food.  

• kenbee59
    kenbee59 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021 #3
    Options
    tube feed formulas

Making your own food can be tricky. For a peg tube one of the biggest concerns is blockage. You must be sure there are NO PIECES in the mix. Blending your own food can allow you to make one thing for dinner and everybody eats it. You just put some in a blender for your husband. THere is at least one company that sells blended real food mixes. You may find it cheaper to do it your self. You'll need to add to his food intake to be sure he is getting enough carbs, fats, calories and proteins. You can look up  food calculators and find one that will give you the fat, calory, carb and protein in literally any food you may know. Not almond milk though. Strange. Best of luck. Check with the dietician at the clinic where your husband got treatments.

• greentea55
    greentea55 Member Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2021 #4
    Options
    foods and cancer

Long time ago I read cancer feeds on sugar, do you have to be careful what you blend? It said ok to eat apples, pears, berries, melon about 2 times a week, no citrus.

But I also read not to eat sugar as it causes weight gain that in turn can cause some cancers.

On the other hand  fattening foods may be just what the doctor ordered when so many lose so much weight during treatment>

• Lisa I.
    Lisa I. Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2021 #5
    Options
    Blending your own foods!

i blended many foods for my husband using the Ninja blender and adding broth to meals to ensure I could get the food thin enough to flow easily thru his p-tube. But I also found a company selling blended foods (Real Food Blends) that came in packets to carry with us as we traveled and visited with family and friends. I even would warm the food, so, that was comforting to him too. There was a lot of trial and error but we got pretty good at it. He could also dip a spoon in whatever was cooking so he could taste the food, helping to satisfy him.
    We did have a blockage occur once and that was scary! But we called the nurse hotline and were told to pump, via a large syringe, some Coca Cola in and sure enough, it pushed it thru!!!! So, I highly recommend keeping a couple cans of Coke handy, should you need them! 
    Good luck and be creative! Just read up on food blending thru google and see what others are doing. ❤️